Author Topic: HCM & PKD tests  (Read 1816 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: HCM & PKD tests
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 08:17:52 AM »
HCM can be an issue for Maine Coon's as can hip problems.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 23:14:34 PM »
Historically persians have been prone to PKD - but it could be completely eradicated with the screening they can do now.

I don't know about HCM, I think that can occur in any cat, but some breeds may be prone.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 23:56:19 PM »
Thanks for that. Should I get my cats screened? Cassie is a Maine Coon and Trouble is a Moggie. Just from your post, certain breeds might be prediposed to these conditions, or not ???????
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 12:22:06 PM »
Sorry for my ignorance, but what are HCM and PKD?

Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy - its a heart condition (my Sam has it  :( ) and Polycystic Kidney Disease (sadly I lost two of my persians to this  :( - it causes cysts on the kidneys, and sometimes other organs, and leads ultimately to renal failure, although my Suzie and Jasper were both about 14 when I lost them, it can cause early renal failure)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 21:09:47 PM »
Sorry for my ignorance, but what are HCM and PKD?
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Fleetwood

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 11:41:23 AM »
Oh, thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for :)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 11:18:53 AM »
Does anyone here know where to test cats on HCM and PKD by echo with a real radiologist (not sure is that's the right word)?

My cats are all tested negative but I'd like to continue testing when we live in the UK, especially when I start breeding again. There are no reliable DNA tests for siamese cats yet (allthough I have tested them on PKD with a DNA blood test :P). And "ordinary" vets are not competent to do those tests (my vet testes Bailey HCM positive and was tested negative afterwards by a radiologist)...

They do the gene test for PKD at Langord in Bristol, and Animal Health Trust in Newmarket http://www.fabcats.org/breeders/infosheets/pkd/pkd_gene_test.html (I'm pretty sure they do the scanning at those centres too)

There is a screening scheme for HCM, theres a list of participating cardiologists http://www.fabcats.org/hcm/index.html

Offline Fleetwood

• Kitten
HCM & PKD tests
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 10:55:29 AM »
Does anyone here know where to test cats on HCM and PKD by echo with a real radiologist (not sure is that's the right word)?

My cats are all tested negative but I'd like to continue testing when we live in the UK, especially when I start breeding again. There are no reliable DNA tests for siamese cats yet (allthough I have tested them on PKD with a DNA blood test :P). And "ordinary" vets are not competent to do those tests (my vet testes Bailey HCM positive and was tested negative afterwards by a radiologist)...

Link to CatChat