Author Topic: Spaying success across the pond  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: Spaying success across the pond
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 13:43:55 PM »
The new Cats Protection Yellow vouchers  have opened  the way for branches to help other  reputable feline welfare groups, should the need arise.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 13:35:12 PM »
Wow, that is excellent. I do wish there was a way that rescues could work together more, we have started working more closely with another small local rescue (I fundraise for them as well, so developed that, helps us both out on rehoming) though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 12:29:59 PM »
I heard on the tv the other night that there are 6 hundred million people in America

About the same number of cats/kittens we have here then, well it seems like it.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 12:28:01 PM »
That's an impressive figure Ela. I just wish we could go beyond that as I am sure you do.

I do because neutering spaying is the only way that rescues workloads will be reduced. We live in hope.

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 12:27:27 PM »
Thats good at least some of them are doing something. I heard on the tv the other night that there are 6 hundred million people in America, wow.

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 12:22:04 PM »
That's an impressive figure Ela. I just wish we could go beyond that as I am sure you do.

Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 12:17:12 PM »
Wouldn't it be great if all the rescues in the UK could come together to utilise skills and expertise to have a similar day rather than everyone struggling independently. I know; dream on!

It would be nice, Last Year Cats Protection spent over £6.000.000 on neutering/spaying and will spend at least that much this year.

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
Spaying success across the pond
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 12:13:42 PM »
This caught my eye. Whilst the number of animals neutered may be a drop in the ocean given the size of the USA, it is 9,050 animals who won't add to the problem and who should benefit from health advantages and quality of life.

Wouldn't it be great if all the rescues in the UK could come together to utilise skills and expertise to have a similar day rather than everyone struggling independently. I know; dream on!  :(

Pet lovers across the nation came together last month to make Spay Day USA 2007 a great success! Look at what we were able to accomplish:

More than 300 spay/neuter events were held throughout February, most offering low cost or donated services to pets in need and feral cats.

To date, 28 percent of event organizers have reported a total of 9,050 animals having received spay or neuter services this year at Spay Day USA events nationwide. (Visit SpayDayUSA.org the week of March 19 for final results!)  :yesss:

Individuals and teams raised more than $89,000 to contribute to community events and to The Humane Society of the United States' Rural Area Veterinary Services (RAVS) program - enough money to spay or neuter nearly 1,200 animals!

Nearly 100 community groups organized public outreach and fundraising events, from educational displays at public libraries featuring information on spay and neuter, to vegetarian "spay-ghetti" dinners, reaching more than half a million members of the public and raising at least $94,000 for spay/neuter.

Congratulations to the top fundraisers this Spay Day USA! The top individual fundraiser is JoAnne Nikitas of North Las Vegas, Nevada. She will receive a framed Mutts print (“Peace to All Beings”) signed by artist Patrick McDonnell, as well as a Spay Day USA T-shirt for raising over $1,000.

The second place individual fundraiser is Michelle Moquin of Oakland, California. She will receive a custom portrait of her dog, Vinnie, from artist Sandra Merwin, as well as a Spay Day USA T-shirt, for raising over $1,000.

And the top fundraising team is SNAPPS Supports Spaying of Las Vegas, Nevada. Each member of SNAPPS Supports Spaying will receive a copy of either The Dogs of Ron Burns or Patrick McDonnell's brand new Animal Friendly.

Finally, a special congratulations to Dr. Margaret Yates, who will also receive a Spay Day USA T-shirt for raising over $1,000.

Congratulations again to all Spay Day USA participants! Together, we have made a difference in the lives of animals across the country, reducing the national tragedy of pet overpopulation by providing this safe, effective solution to pets in need.

Thanks so much for helping to make Spay Day USA 2007 so successful, and thank you for everything you do for animals. We are looking forward to working with you in making Spay Day USA 2008 an even greater success!
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Link to CatChat