Author Topic: Samson has to go to the vets.  (Read 2574 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Samson has to go to the vets.
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 12:06:08 PM »
Glad the vet visit went well - well, the outcome at least  :naughty:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 09:01:39 AM »
Awww, glad Samson is OK  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline LadyJane

• Hero Cat
  • Samson xx
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 08:44:13 AM »
The rescue gave us a little pouch of wet when we got him so i'm going to try him with that tonight mixed with some biscuits.

I think it was definately constipation as since the big poo on Sunday night he's been doing loads!

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,26287.0.html

Playing on the bridge - Sooty, Misty, Tim, Tom, Ebony and Pepsi - I miss you all and think of you often

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to Henry and Charley
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 00:31:31 AM »
Poor Samson, glad the vet visit went well.

I had the same issue with Charley when he arrived, would only eat dry food and ignore any wet put down for him (which made Henry very happy he thought he had moved into somewhere with an all you can eat buffet). I slowly introduced wet over a couple of weeks by removing the dry 2 hours before I wanted to feed him wet then putting down some dry mixed with a little bit of gravy from a tin and slowly over the weeks added more wet until he was eating a full pouch with whiskers sprinkles. It took about 2 or 3 months before he got properly used to it and started really enjoying his dinner.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2009, 19:48:43 PM »
Poor little chap - Glad he is OK  :hug:
People Power Works!!!

Offline LadyJane

• Hero Cat
  • Samson xx
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 19:08:36 PM »
Very true although I'm in the dog house now, lots of headbutts for daddy but not interested in me at all haha!

Playing on the bridge - Sooty, Misty, Tim, Tom, Ebony and Pepsi - I miss you all and think of you often

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 19:07:07 PM »
Me too Bazsmum, it's a relief.  Thinking about it it's perfectly logical, just a case of me being an over-protective Mum and worrying too much I guess.  :-:  :hug:

Better to be safe than sorry!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline LadyJane

• Hero Cat
  • Samson xx
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 19:00:33 PM »
Me too Bazsmum, it's a relief.  Thinking about it it's perfectly logical, just a case of me being an over-protective Mum and worrying too much I guess.  :-:  :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 18:58:04 PM »
Glad Samson is back from vets with good news!  ;D :Luv: :hug:

Offline LadyJane

• Hero Cat
  • Samson xx
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 18:54:08 PM »
Well, we went to the vets and I think someone might have swapped Samson for a much naughtier, meowy, hissy, clawy cat while I wasn't looking.   My quietly confident little boy turned into devil-cat!!!  :innocent:

He wouldn't be examined properly although the vet did manage to look into his ears and mouth but since he's clearly not feeling unwell and hasn't had any sloppy poos then they think it's probably just a burst blood vessel from the big poo he did on Sunday night.  Phew!

Since coming home though he has had a sloppy poo  :sick: which also missed the tray  :sick: :sick: but I'm putting this down to the stress of the vets adventure.   He's now pouncing on my feet when I walk past him and biting my arm when I sit still so I think it's his revenge because I was the bad cop taking him to the vets  :P

They've said to keep an eye on him for the next few days and if he's still bleeding after poos then give them another call.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 15:52:34 PM »
Im sure the vet will have a poke and know whats up  ;D
I would introduce some wet food, its good for many reasons

Offline LadyJane

• Hero Cat
  • Samson xx
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 15:34:06 PM »
Fingers crossed hes ok, does he eat wet food? When i first got simon he ate mainly dry food and he would pass big hard poos that would sometimes make him bleed, it took him too long to process all the dry stuff and the result is constipation
No, the rescue informed us that he's only ever eaten dry food.  We have kept him on Hills science plan kitten since having him as that's what he'd been on with them.

I do hope it's just a spot of constipation!

I have been paying attention to his wee/poo habits since we took him in (as you do) and it's been:

Thursday night - just 1 wee
Friday - 1 poo in the morning and a wees in the evening (unable to comment on daytime activity other than there was no other poo as we were at work)
Saturday - poo in the morning and various wees
Sunday - poo in the morning, another in the afternoon and a 3rd in the evening.  The third one being quite large in comparison.  Various wees
This morning - wee in the night (his digging woke me) and a poo this morning with the blood.

I guess the increased frequency and the blood appearing after the larger poo do suggest it could have been constipation.

Fingers crossed that's what it will be but really want the vet to put my mind at ease with him, especially with us only having him for a few days!

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to Henry and Charley
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 14:58:27 PM »
Poor Samson, hope he gets better soon and everything goes well at the vet.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 14:47:05 PM »
Fingers crossed hes ok, does he eat wet food? When i first got simon he ate mainly dry food and he would pass big hard poos that would sometimes make him bleed, it took him too long to process all the dry stuff and the result is constipation

Offline LadyJane

• Hero Cat
  • Samson xx
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 12:57:30 PM »
OH did say that one of his poos yesterday was a big one.  Maybe he's just torn himself but like I say there's no obvious discomfort.

I've just nipped home to see him and he's happy as larry but he's done another poo and there's a bum shaped blood patch on the bed where he's sat down afterwards.

I just hope it's nothing serious.  Obviously for his sake but also if it's anything contagious I'll have to let the rescue know as he was penned with other cats there.

I put his carrier on the bed so he can get used to it this afternoon and won't be so scared of it later and typically he gave it a love and then got straight inside!  Bet he doesn't do that later when I need to get him there to take to the vets!

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 12:51:06 PM »
Could be worms as well,  I have seen them cause blood in poos,  hope he will be OK xx

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 12:48:38 PM »
Best of luck for tonight, it may be he's been a bit 'bound up' and just passed a big poo  :hug:

I'm sure its nothing to worry about, but always best to check x

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 12:43:38 PM »
:luck: for tonight

Hope it's nothing too serious and that Samson is given copious amounts of chicken on his return as a reward for being carted off to the vets  :hug:

Offline LadyJane

• Hero Cat
  • Samson xx
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 10:30:46 AM »
No, that did confuse me too.  I definately said it was when he poo'd.  He doesn't appear to have any discomfort and is weeing normally.  We've only had him since Thursday so only just getting used to what 'normal' is for him really.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 10:26:14 AM »
try not to worry too much - its probably something simple, my Oscar had it a while back and the vet just said oh it happens some times -  although I've never heard of blood in poo for cystitis

Offline LadyJane

• Hero Cat
  • Samson xx
Samson has to go to the vets.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 10:17:04 AM »
My little boy has to go to the vets tonight  :scared:

This morning after his usual wake-up poo there was blood around his bottom and possibly a little at the end of the poo but we can't be sure  :shocked:  In himself he's fine, eating and drinking OK, active etc.

I rang the vets (luckily we registered him at the weekend) and they want to see him at 5pm tonight.  I'm so worried.

They said it could be cystitis - that's not good is it?

:'(

Link to CatChat