Author Topic: Baxter's bald patch.  (Read 2149 times)

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to Henry and Charley
Re: Baxter's bald patch.
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 17:00:13 PM »
Thanks Gill, I decided to keep using it, it looks really red and sore so hoping that the cream helps it. Clearly Basil has been at it again. I tried to separate them last night but the doors in our house aren't really Garfield proof so at some point Garf got annoyed with the wailing and let Basil out.

Baxter is still not talking to me which is really upsetting because I spent so long winning him over, he was starting to cuddle into my legs at night and would wander up for a cuddle when I got up. He would even sit right next to me with his head on my knee. It's hard trying to leave him to come around in his own time esp as I have to apply cream twice a day- usually wait until he is eating. Sent OH to the pet shop for some applaws to try cheer my little man up.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 19:30:13 PM »
OH claims it's the funniest thing he has ever see and is threatening to play YMCA on constant loop.....

:evillaugh:

Does anyone know whats Fuciderm is for?

Its for skin diseases like dermatitis. Its an antibiotic and  anti-inflammatory gel.

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
Re: Baxter's bald patch.- UPDATE- what do about Fuciderm??
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 18:18:43 PM »
Just went to try and apply more cream to Baxter, which went down like a lead balloon. He is so skittish right now and giving me some pretty sore smacks when I get anywhere near him (can only really approach him when he's sleeping to try and put cream on otherwise he bolts). My OH seems to think he doesn't need it as the cream was prescribed when we thought it was an allergic reaction and won't help now because we know it's because of Basil.

Does anyone know whats Fuciderm is for? If it going to help any soreness he might be experiencing then clearly I'm going to keep trying to apply it but if it's a steroid thing for allergic reactions then is there any point when there isn't a reaction.

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 01:52:45 AM »
Poor Basil,
Just when he gets home and starts to feel safe (he hid under the bed for about 4 hours) his good buddie Basil decides it's time to move their relationship to the next level!!

Sorry, I know I shouldn't but  :heeee heeee: Glad the mystery of the bald patch is solved and good luck for their ops  :)

It is quite funny, just as well they aren't real brothers I guess.  Luckily baxter was already done when he came to us, he is 6 weeks older than Basil but they got on so well at the rescue that it seemed cruel to split them up, esp as Baxter was so nervy. Even now they wail when separated, my OH was to sore to come to the vets with me and he told me that Basil cried and cried and cried when I took Baxter to the vets and only calmed down when I brought him back. I'm even starting to think that Baxter doesn't mind Basil's advances as when I spilt them up they sit at either side of the door and cry at each other. OH claims it's the funniest thing he has ever see and is threatening to play YMCA on constant loop.....

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 00:50:30 AM »
Poor Basil,
Just when he gets home and starts to feel safe (he hid under the bed for about 4 hours) his good buddie Basil decides it's time to move their relationship to the next level!!

Sorry, I know I shouldn't but  :heeee heeee: Glad the mystery of the bald patch is solved and good luck for their ops  :)

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 20:39:24 PM »
Hehe I'm sure his fur will grow back, it's the mental scarring. What a day the poor puss has had! It started off well with some treats, next thing he knows he's in a box travelling in a car, then put in a room with a crazy lady who was chasing him around with a blanket and then poked him. Just when he gets home and starts to feel safe (he hid under the bed for about 4 hours) his good buddie Basil decides it's time to move their relationship to the next level!!

Baxter has declared me public enemy number one right now though, tried to put out some treats for him and got several smacks for my trouble. Sure he will come around in time but not a very popular mummy right now, esp as I keep separating him from his best buddy Basil.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 19:56:47 PM »
I'm just so annoyed and frazzled right now- if they had just done him with he was a little younger none of this would have happened. Concerns me as well that other people with 6 month old kittens that go outside might be fathering kittens as I type this because the vets won't do them. Looks like the next day or so are going to be spent separating Basil and Baxter, I never thought I would be uttering the phrase "stop trying to **** your brother" I just hope Baxter isn't permanently scarred by the whole thing.

Very annoying!  >:( not all vets are keen on doing earlier than 6 months for some reason - at least they are listening to you now and doing something about it!  I'm sure Baxter won't be permanently scarred by it.  :hug:

Offline LadyJane

• Hero Cat
  • Samson xx
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 19:33:50 PM »
Oh the poor love.  How is he in himself now?

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,26287.0.html

Playing on the bridge - Sooty, Misty, Tim, Tom, Ebony and Pepsi - I miss you all and think of you often

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
Baxter's bald patch.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 19:17:20 PM »
I noticed a very small bald patch on Baxter's neck on Saturday night and by Sunday it was bigger, I phoned the emergency vets to make sure it wasn't major. After a chat he ruled out ringworm as they don't go outside and could only get it from something coming into the house, neither my OH or myself have it and Baxter won't go near any visitors so vet said it was unlikely and to make an appointment during normal hours to get it checked. The vet visit was a nightmare, despite my warning them about him (he's a feral kitten found at 12 weeks and the only humans he tolerates slightly is myself and OH-even then we can't pick him up) there was only one vet and he went mental, actually climbing the walls and knocking stuff over, making so much noise the manage came in to see if everything was OK. After reinforcements were called the vet thought it was possibly an allergic reaction but said it "strange" as his last spot on was about 3-4 weeks ago. She gave him an injection and sent him off with a cream and told me to keep an eye on him.

After we had been home for an hour or so I heard some yelping and wailing- Basil was trying to "mate" with his brother. He had his mouth around the bald patch and was holding on pretty tight. Words actually fail me right now, the vets refuse to neuter cats until they are 6 months old and Basil was booked in for next week. I've called them and once I explained what was going on the vet agreed this was quite possibly the reason behind the bald patch- they brought his neutering forward as best they could but it will still be Thursday before they can squeeze him in.

I'm just so annoyed and frazzled right now- if they had just done him with he was a little younger none of this would have happened. Concerns me as well that other people with 6 month old kittens that go outside might be fathering kittens as I type this because the vets won't do them. Looks like the next day or so are going to be spent separating Basil and Baxter, I never thought I would be uttering the phrase "stop trying to **** your brother" I just hope Baxter isn't permanently scarred by the whole thing.

Link to CatChat