Author Topic: Cats and moving help please  (Read 1867 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: Cats and moving help please
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 21:46:38 PM »
Cats are tough, but i have learned from experience that the sound of power tools and banging that goes with renovation is not their favourite noise. It would be all the scarier if they were in a strange environment without you around to show them it was all OK (i.e. by not making a fuss of them when they showed fear, but by carrying on as normal - the take their lead from you on the nerves front I have found). So either the in-laws or the cattery are the only sensible option. From what you seem to be implying, relations are not all that good with the inlaws, at least from your perspective, so you will be tense and stressed from the move, from project-managing the new work and from living with the Inlaws - not a recipe for keeping a nervous cat calm and happy. Personally I would be going the cattery route ...

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 21:38:13 PM »
I say it quite a lot,  but cats are a lot more hardy than we give them credit for,  they will be fine hon,  they will still have you and they will love the new house x

Offline Fauna

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 21:35:14 PM »
Thanks all, I'm really stressing about it!

I've looked at a few catteries and think it's going to be too expensive so we're going to have to go with the in-laws, at least I'll be there too so won't miss them like I would if they were in a cattery.  The in-laws do like cats but not sure how they'll feel about all of us descending on them!  They can be shut in one room while I'm at work so I'll have some peace of mind and only let them around the house when I'm there and can keep an eye on things.  I feel so bad for putting them through this actually but the new house has a lot more room and a bigger garden to explore so I'm sure they'll be happy in the end.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 19:38:33 PM »
Id go for the cattery, if its hot weather then someone is bound to be tempted and open a window! Are they microchipped? If not get this done asap, if they are already done remember to update the details so if the worst was to happen the chip company can direct them home again  ;D

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 19:29:41 PM »
I would go with the parents - I would definitely rule out the option at the new house, it's too risky and will be very noisy.  Even when you're there at the house you will be busy doing stuff which will be noisy and stressful for them.

So leaving the option of parents or cattery - from the cats point of view, both are a scary new venue so I wouldn't be concerned that it's another home for them to get used to, as the same actually applies at the cattery.  Except of course things will smell familiar at your parents house and you will be with them overnight.  I would think that would be much less stressful for them than the totally unfamiliar surroundings of a cattery.  You could always keep them confined to your bedroom there for the week, less risk of doors/windows being left open and although it may not be ideal, it's probably not far off the size they'd get in a cattery anyway. 

Offline LadyJane

• Hero Cat
  • Samson xx
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 19:02:07 PM »
TBH whether you put them in cattery or OH's parents' house, it will still be two moves  :hug:

That's what I thought but the cattery doesn't have the problem of doors/windows mistakenly being left open.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,26287.0.html

Playing on the bridge - Sooty, Misty, Tim, Tom, Ebony and Pepsi - I miss you all and think of you often

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 18:47:03 PM »
I had bathroom and kitchen done in 2007.  Both were basically ripped out and redone.  It was very very noisy work and I put 2 younger puds in cattery.  Other elderly cat Tom RIP was hard of hearing and pretty docile so stayed with me but I was there all day every day keeping an eye.

Putting myself in your puds' shoes, esp the nervy one, I would choose to stay with you and OH at your OH's parents (assuming they like cats  :shify: ) but easier for humans and maybe safer for puds to choose a cattery option.   I really wouldn't put them in new house until major part of work finished.

TBH whether you put them in cattery or OH's parents' house, it will still be two moves  :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 18:39:45 PM »
I think in light of the builder issue I'd definitely go down the cattery route if it was me, moving is stressful enough for them but if you have builders in they won't be able to relax and settle into their new home.  I know it's an added expense and the last thing you need when you're moving house but it'll be a lot less stressful for both you and the cats! 

:luck: with the move  ;D

Offline woodlandcats

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 16:57:03 PM »
I've moved a lot and I've done different things.
A room where you can put them is fine as long as it can be locked.
I guess you will be there a lot or at least sometimes to spend time with them.
I would put a lot of your stuff in that room, things that smell of you to reassure them and maybe Feliway
Every life should have 9 cats

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 16:42:49 PM »
Just to add builders are not to be trusted to leave well alone. We lived in our house for 6 months while there was a major rebuild. The cats were secured in the room we lived in (one of the bedrooms) with a note for them not to be disturbed. Door always open when we got back from work - last thing you want if cats don't know the area.

Offline LadyJane

• Hero Cat
  • Samson xx
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 16:32:41 PM »
I think if it was really only going to be for a week then I'd go with the cattery option unless you're sure there would be no doors left open etc at your inlaws.  It would more than likely be less stress for everyone.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,26287.0.html

Playing on the bridge - Sooty, Misty, Tim, Tom, Ebony and Pepsi - I miss you all and think of you often

Offline Fauna

• Kitten
Cats and moving help please
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 16:17:29 PM »
We have three cats and we're moving house to a place that needs quite a bit of work doing to it. OH doesn't want us to move in straight away so he can have a clear run and do the bathroom and kitchen in a week or so without having to worry about getting the hot water on each day and that kind of thing.

So we'd probably move in with his parents for a week (I would be stamping my feet if it was a lot more ).

So my options for the cats are:

Move them in to the new house as we will be around in the day to do the work but leave them confined to basically one room so the builders can come in and out.  They will be safe but I'm worried the noise might stress them out.

Move them in with us at OH's parents and then move them in to the house when the work has been done and we are there permanently.  This worries me because of them getting used to two new places quite quickly.

Put them in a cattery.

One cat is very nervy and I think the noise and disturbance will upset him but I also think he'll be stressed with basically two house moves. The others I don't think will be bothered as long as they're fed! I also worry about the in laws leaving a door open or something and them getting out.

What do you think would be the best and less stressful option for them or is there another way I haven't thought of?

Link to CatChat