Author Topic: fostering  (Read 1258 times)

Offline lisa281

• Senior Cat
Re: fostering
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 19:29:50 PM »
 yeah dont think fostering is for me  :)

Myspace Glitter Graphics
RIP BABY PORTIA - APR-JUL 09 xxxx

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 19:28:45 PM »
Most charities will require existing animals to be neutered, vaccinated and in good health, many will also expect them to be kept seperate from any temporary visitors, imo this is essential.
Rescue animals can harbour many problems that even a few weeks seperation wont neccessarily prevent, continually exposing your pets to potential problems isnt a good idea  :scared:

Space is an important issue, putting strangers into a small area can result in behaviourial issues, more so for indoor cats who have less territory to 'share'

Offline lisa281

• Senior Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 13:06:38 PM »
 just wondered as im waiting for cats protection to phone me with a date for rosie :)

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 13:02:03 PM »
If you are going to foster then you need to ensure that you own cats are up to date with their innoculations.
Any foster cats you have in can bring things into the house. Its one of the reasons most of us who foster keep foster cats away from our own where possible (and at least for a few weeks). It's not fair to expect a rescue to pick up the tab for treating your own animals if it is something they can be protected from. Obviously, sometimes things like ringworm are harder to spot, and it is likely that this would be paid for by the rescue.

As far as neutering goes, if you cats are too young to be neutered then there is no problem, most fosterers have a mixture of ages.

Fostering is not for everyone. Some find it hard to cope with sick/old cats. Some people find it impossible to let the cats go. Some can't come to terms with the fact that some cats seem to stay for a long time. My longest term foster cats have been here nearly a year and they were 3 months old when they arrived!

Offline lisa281

• Senior Cat
fostering
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 12:06:28 PM »
 Hiya
Was just wondering about fostering , Do you have to wait untill my cats are neutered to foster or is it ok untill they are ? Im considering it ....but need to speak to old man first  ;) try and talk him round kinda thing as we used to foster dogs and we had a really bad exsperiance , they rescue home we fostered for totally took the p..s out of us and we had our own dog at the time who got really ill due to one of the dogs we fostered cause they said the dog was clear of kennel cough but the new it wasn't and our dog got really ill and my partner was working then ..before his car accident ... and we had to pay out a fortune on vets bills for our dog and my partner feels now like we were treated really unfairly as the rescue never even opoligised or anything  :(

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Link to CatChat