Author Topic: Food question  (Read 1454 times)

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
Re: Food question
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 17:32:08 PM »
I don't know Desley - I've only ever missed the odd day with the Metacam when I've forgotten to order more in time, which is not anough time to notice any change in her mobility.  I wouldn't like to mess with her drugs without speaking to the vet first but will certainly discuss options with the vet next time - think we're due in 6 weeks or so.
I wonder if we could get away with a higher dose of the Seraquin and just keep the metacam on standby if we need it.  But then that always means I need to wait until she is actually in some sort of pain and discomfort before I give her the Metacam to make her feel better - and we all know how well cats hide it when they're sore!  And that feels like I'm not doing the best I can for her to keep her pain free.  But then feeding her nasty drugs all the time doesn't make me feel much better either!
Can't win.  Will keep discussing with the vets.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 08:09:01 AM »
How would she cope with just the Seraquin (although there are supplements with a lot more glucosamine in them)?
Please spay your cat

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 22:35:54 PM »
Still agreeing with pretty much everything you're all saying!
I was concerned about the long-term Metacam use as well and had a good chat with the vet about it.  It is the new 'cat' version she has.  I had her bloods done at the start of the year and the vets were very pleased with the results, said they were all absolutely fine.  I will continue to get regular bloods done and discuss the drug regime with them - because she's on the Metacam we have to go in for a check up every three months.  She hates it (but soon recovers!) but I don't mind, as it means she gets checked over.
It's such a dilemma with the drugs - it seems to come down to a choice between quality of life and length of life.  Thankfully the cost isn't an issue as she's well insured.
I asked the question here about the food and gave details of her condition and the drugs as I have read that 'senior' food is generally less rich, and therefore easier on the internal organs, particularly the kidneys.  I also know that Metacam is hard on the kidneys.
Too many dilemmas and contradictions and decisions to make - I'm blonde and Libran, it's all too much for me!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 19:56:33 PM »
But, some senior foods contain glucosamine Gillian, which can help with arthritis issues, and they do help weight loss better than adult food, whcih will help arthritis in the long run as there will be less weight on the joints.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 14:03:14 PM »
As senior foods are lower in fat as Helen pointed out, its not ideal for cats with arthritis, they need the fats in their diet. Its not fats in their diet that put weight on, its the carbohydrates they put in many cat foods that cats don't need anyway. So a proper high meat content, low/no carb diet will help with any weight issues.

I personally wouldnt bother with senior foods at all - or any 'life stage' foods come to that, its got completely out of hand - at the rate pet food manufacturers are going they'll soon have you believing you need a new diet for each year of the cats life  - oh, and to mention whether your cat is indoor, outdoor, male, female or pink with blue spots LOL!  ;)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 08:51:33 AM »
IT might be, but Metacam is still linked to kidney issues, and I wouldnt put a young cat on it if supplements will help them, best waiting till they are older or their body could get used to it. Zia is 19 and does have MEtacam a few times a week, but only after bloods showed her organs are in good health - she also wont take supplements, Molly will take Noractive, so she has that instead.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 22:22:31 PM »
Re Metacam.  Isn't the "new" cat version significantly safer (i.e. a lot weaker) than previous version Desley? So blumin expensive though

I am a little confused though that she needs metacam for arthritis if she can jump as high as kitchen worksurface.  That's pretty good I'd have thought  :-:  Something makes me think Sylvie likes her grub  ;)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 22:45:00 PM by Rosella moggy »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 20:17:45 PM »
i personally wouldnt have such a young cat on Metacam, I would try and see how she goes on purely supplements, and if she has to have the Metacam, do make sure you do regular bloods. If she has a slight weight issue, I would introduce some senior food into her diet, as it will help the weight loss, which in turn will help the arthritis.
Please spay your cat

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 12:16:18 PM »
I think the last time she was weighed she was 4.9kg.  She's a regular moggy so that is a little more than she could be but she's not hugely overweight.  So yes, she does struggle a bit with her weight.  She is active in that she goes outside and wanders about a lot, she does still have those mad 5 minuteses in the house when she runs all over the place.  She can still jump up on to the kitchen worksurface but that's about her limit for jumping.  The vet says there is definite muscle wastage around her lower back, thighs and hips.  Even with all this though, she seems to enjoy her life pretty well!
I agree with all your commennts - think I'll have a chat with the vet next time we're in.
 :)

Offline HaneyHarperIndyMum (Val)

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 04:50:09 AM »
Aww poor Wee Silvie.  Roz,  I did not realize that she had arthritis but I think what Helen said makes purrfect sense.  Is Silvie overweight at all?  Is she very active?  Give her an extra cuddle for me would you please.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 01:23:30 AM »
I think a lot of the senior foods are lower in fat than 'regular' versions so if Silvie struggles with her weight then it might be worth looking into changing, especially if the food she has now makes a senior version so it's not like she'll have to switch brands or anything.

Also the term 'senior' might mean different things to different people, I agree with MM that 7 isn't senior but if the food is designed for cats aged 7+ then it might be better for her, i'd ignore the term senior as it's subjective and concentrate on what age range the food supposedly benefits.

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 22:42:12 PM »
Hi Milly's Mum
I must have read it somewhere that cats become 'senior' for food purposes at 7 but can't remember where.  Probably on the food packets!
I thought 7 was a bit young to be senior too - she does act old for her age, but that's because of her condition - I don't suppose it affects her digestion and other internal organs which a senior diet is supposed to help.  She is still active, just not as much as another cat the same age without arthritis.
Thanks - you've put my mind to rest!
 :)

By the way - got myself a new camera for Christmas so going to get around to posting some new pics of her soon.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 19:38:00 PM »
Personally i dont see a cat as senior at 7, maybe years back when there wasnt the care available but more and more are getting to mid teens and over, so imo 7 is not senior but middle aged  :Luv2:

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
Food question
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 16:52:04 PM »
At what kind of age should you start a cat on 'senior' food?
Silvie turned 7 this year.  Other things about her are that she suffers from arthritis - as such, she is not the most active cat for her age.  Because of the arthritis she also takes Metacam (anti-inflammatory) and Seraquin (joint supplement) daily.
Other than all that (poor wee Silvie!) she's a pretty normal and healthy cat.

Link to CatChat