Author Topic: Vaccination month - only for people who don't normally vaccinate?  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Re: Vaccination month - only for people who don't normally vaccinate?
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 13:04:17 PM »
Have just had mom's 12 year old girl vaccinated for 1st time using voucher to fund part of cost.  Lectures not required btw  ;)  Susan (mom's pud) will be going back for follow up jab soon and is now insured with Axa and is getting treated for inflamed ears (prob mites)  Well we got there in the end I suppose  :-[.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 12:18:17 PM »
Yes it seems none of these things are of benefit to the end customer  :tired:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 11:23:31 AM »
Annoyingly the rules state that the cat must be at least 18 months old and not been vaccinated for at least 18 months. It would be good to get people into the routine early on. I would assume the first 18 months are when the cat is most vulnerable if it goes outside?

i agree Mark, I'd have thought the main reason vets sign up to this is in the hope of getting more custom, so it shouldn't make any difference the age.
I can only imagine that someone's done some stats that says a higher % of kittens are done by their owners (new toy syndrome) and that a high % then let it lapse (not surprising with all the talk of over-vaccination)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 19:49:30 PM »
Annoyingly the rules state that the cat must be at least 18 months old and not been vaccinated for at least 18 months. It would be good to get people into the routine early on. I would assume the first 18 months are when the cat is most vulnerable if it goes outside?

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 19:07:49 PM »
The tv ads are actually noticeable so i think its just raising peoples awareness

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 14:36:15 PM »
I have another one to call back asking if we can help getting her kittens vaccinated. We seem to be having a run on calls asking for this. I don't know if it's because of vaccination month or if people are trying to freeload.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 12:31:21 PM »
I do hope that a lot of cat owners take advantage of the offer.

So many people do not realize that cat flu is airborne and we humans can walk enteritis into the home. I am also so happy that since the injection for FeLV has become available we have noticed a huge reduction in the number of cats we are hearing about with FeLV and not one domestic we have bought in and tested has been FeLV+ in about 6 years. Unheard of before the injection became widely available.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Vaccination month - only for people who don't normally vaccinate?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 11:39:53 AM »
I returned a call from a woman who thought she could get help with vaccinating her two cats but can't. She said that she is up to date but due to an accident last year, she can't work but also can't get any benefits. As I don't understand the benefit system, I advised PDSA for the cats and CAB for benefit queries. She wanted to know if CP would give her the money as a one-off - but no can do. She said she doesn't have proof of sickness for PDSA. I told her that I can't speak for them but she really needs to ask them if some other proof can be used such as a doctor's letter. She said her doctor wasn't interested and didn't even bother turning up for the disablement meeting. We can try to advise but really not qualified. She said CAB don't answer her emails and the number is permanently engaged. I sympathise but not a lot we can do. I gave her details of the weekly £5 clinic in the area as well but that's it.

Link to CatChat