Author Topic: brushing cats teeth  (Read 2712 times)

Offline Sar

• Adult Cat
Re: brushing cats teeth
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 16:21:39 PM »
I use Logic gel to brush my kitties' teeth too!  I have also been using Plaque Off.  I'm not sure if it's the combination of the two, but I have certainly noticed a vast difference in Tibby's and Molly's teeth.

As for the toothbrush, I found that the finger ones were too harsh for Tibby's sensitive gums, so bought some baby toothbrushes from the £1 shop.  They are much easier to use with the long handle and the bristles are less harsh on his little gummies! :)

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 11:38:52 AM »
I haven't brushed my cats teeth for a while as I need to get them a new toothbrush but Bilbo absolutely hates it whereas Tigger isn't really bothered. I've got them a tube of logic gel and they love it so at least that will help their teeth.  ;D
Why oh why don't they make cat toothbrushes with long handles??? I bought a dental set from the vets that has CET toothpaste, a finger brush and a really really good 'pointy' brush that's perfect for cleaning their back teeth. I want the pointy one on a long handle lol.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 11:30:24 AM »
Just adding to the original posts on here - Placque Off does seem to work  ;D

I took Max for a dental check-up last week following his dental last year, and there's almost no plaque on his teeth at all.  He also has dental biscuits and logic gel, so they must also be helping to a certain extent.

I've bought a toothbrush for Max, so wish me luck in learning to brush his teethies  :doh:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 20:59:40 PM »
Thank you for that your kindness is appreciated.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 20:36:25 PM »
If you buy from vetuk click on their logo on this website www.chesterfieldcats.co.uk and they get a small commission from the sale, every little helps!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 20:32:41 PM »
I brush my cats teeth :evillaugh: ?It gets easier with practice! ?I use logic gel which you should be able to get from your vet (I buy mine online from vetuk). ?It's great because a) they love the taste so don't run away when I get the tube out and b) if works even if you just add it to food or let them lick it from the tube. ?I try to brush once or twice a week and let them lick it from the tube the rest of the time. ?You can also get something called plaque off which you sprinkle on the food and it's supposed to help clean the teeth. ?I've got some but keep forgetting to use it so can't say whether that's any good. ?Dry food is pretty ineffective at teeth cleaning unless it's a specific dental formula such as hills t/d, but I'm not keen on that as it's not a great food, imo (and Jaffa swallows the pieces whole anyway). ?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 20:30:22 PM »
Chicken toothpaste um um um
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 20:25:43 PM »
You can buy cat toothbrush and toothpaste from your vet.

I have never tried brushing my lots teeth but i know a few people that do and although their cats dont really like it they have got used to it. The younger you start the easier they take to it

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 19:28:13 PM »
You can get cat toothpaste, and yes I do from time to time brush my cats teeth! (I have to, their breath is over-powering!)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline kirstynurse

• Kitten
brushing cats teeth
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 19:19:54 PM »
just wondered if anyone brushes their cats teeth - took tosca to the vets today who said she cant be 8months old (as we were told when we rescued her) due to the tartar on her teeth and is nearer two but recommends we brush her teeth (she's already on dry food)- do most cats like it?

do you have to use cat toothpaste or just water?

Link to CatChat