Author Topic: Litter mats - fed up of litter tracking!  (Read 3368 times)

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
Re: Litter mats - fed up of litter tracking!
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2009, 17:42:44 PM »
When mine had hooded trays I had a very deep pile bath mat from John Lewis that worked well as a lot of the grains got trapped between in the pile although tufty toes still created litter trails. Now I have open trays I just resigned myself to spending my entire day sweeping up after them especially now Boopy has got a new trick of emptying half of the litter onto the floor after she (or anyone else) has used the tray  :tired:
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2009, 15:59:53 PM »
I think I will get another one as it did help. We have original floorboards in the kitchen and there are gaps betwen the boards so the void must be full of litter & other gunk  :sick:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 15:31:50 PM »
Yeah the washing machine works a treat but I make sure the mats go in on their own so we don't get poooey clothes  :sick:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2009, 15:02:52 PM »
I had one of those and found it helped quite a lot. Sadly one of the cats did a poo puddle on it  :sick: - there was no was I was going to attempt cleaning it so binned it  :evillaugh:

I put mine through the washing machine with biological washing liquid and they come out fine after 'accidents'.

I just realised what happened. It was the tray in the kitchen. At the time it happened, I eyed the dishwasher and thought "no way"  :sick:

It just didn't occur to me to put it in the washing machine  :Crazy:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2009, 12:32:31 PM »
I used to use litter mats, but they didn't catch all the litter and were a b***er to clean.
I now use newspaper, it catches the majority of litter and I can change it twice a day quite easily, and I hoover every other.

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 20:12:48 PM »
I had one of those and found it helped quite a lot. Sadly one of the cats did a poo puddle on it  :sick: - there was no was I was going to attempt cleaning it so binned it  :evillaugh:

I put mine through the washing machine with biological washing liquid and they come out fine after 'accidents'.

Helen, I also use OKO and have tried several types of litter mats and although not perfect, the PAH one you have is the same as mine and is the best I have found. Doesn't stop them transporting it on their feet though! ggrr!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2009, 18:30:10 PM »
 :thanks: everyone, I'll see if I can get hold of the more ridged type of mats, the PAH ones are like a fine rubbery string swirl and because Oko is quite large grained it doesn't seem to do much.

I just ask them to shake paws before leaving  :evillaugh:

:evillaugh:

Think I might stand guard outside the trays and force them to march on the spot to shake all the litter off before moving on  :evillaugh:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 16:42:13 PM »
I just ask them to shake paws before leaving  :evillaugh:
Im forever sweeping up, they wait til iv scooped and swept and then the next one goes  :tired: one of the reasons that fine clay is good as no pain when i step on it  ;D

Offline Bren22

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Carrie, Harvey & Jess & fostermum for CCG and all my lovely pets on the bridge
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2009, 11:41:40 AM »
 :Crazy:  I have a rechargeable carpet sweeper, like the old fashioned Ewbank sort, but runs on a battery.  It's much quieter than the vac so doesn't disturb the cats all that much.  I keep it on charge all night and a quick whizz round in the morning usually does the trick.  Mind, I only have Mum and 4 kittens in that room and my own 3 don't make much mess as they go outside (unless it's raining of course!)  Argos have the sweepers @ about £20 and mine's definitely worth it.  (note to Argos management - for this free advert you can donate to Covcats!!!!))

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2009, 11:12:10 AM »
I have to sweep right through every morning and hoover every evening,   drives me mad,  but hey having my fluffy babies makes up for it !  I do have a litter mat and I use BioCatoLet which is the best one I have found for lack of tracking.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2009, 10:32:29 AM »
I just have a piece of carpet (the same that is down) under the tray but always hoovering  :-:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2009, 10:26:27 AM »
We too gave up with mats when I realised that Jess was side stepping it, I didn't want to give him any more stressy reasons to not use the litter tray  :-[

Luckily we have wooden flooring so we're constantly sweeping up. I'm quite well known at work for pouring cat litter out of my shoes, and it always seems to be everywhere!!!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2009, 10:16:11 AM »
I love my routine of getting up and sweeping right through...yes mats would be great to conquer this but how would my OCD cope....its part of my morning now!  :innocent:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 10:07:17 AM »
I bought a cheap one but didn't think it was all that. I used to use small dustpans & brushes from Wilkinsons but recently bought some regular ones from PAH - the brush is really soft and the dustpan has a pointed silicon edge. They really are excellent and only about £1.29 each  ;D

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 09:53:43 AM »
I keep a dirt devil next to the trays! :evillaugh:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 09:51:48 AM »
I've got the rubbery mats from PAH in front of my trays, seems ok and they are washable

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 09:46:32 AM »
I just have a standard rug in front of the litter trays and find that catches quite a lot. I use the wood based litter so its sawdust that spreads
love
Tab

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 07:30:03 AM »
Me four with the gray paw one! Well, I used to anyway, wish I still had it although my issue is more that Bond likes to flick the litter out of the (covered, quite high sided) tray bought because he does like to flick it around.

When I did have the mat I found it caught loads of litter, I used OKO too. The grooves and indents are of varying size too so it gets big and small grains trapped in it. I got mine from Zooplus (I really miss Zooplus now, for all the problems they have an awesome range, can't find any litter I like here, all seems to be the same just in different packaging!).

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 00:41:46 AM »
I have the same one as Rob and Ruth.  It does catch a lot of litter.  Go for one with lots of indents (the cat face in the one shown isn't just for show, it catches most of the litter).

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 22:52:05 PM »
Mine is similar to Rob's and to be honest you still get tracking but the majority is left on the mat as its rubber (or something like that). I use Oko as well as to be honest I just keep a dustpan and brush nearby to clear up around. The good thing about this is its washable.

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 22:36:56 PM »
I use these and get the same problems but they are better than nothing.

Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 22:35:49 PM »
I'm thinking of getting one of those old fashioned floor sweepers, not sure if the Oko grains would be too big for one though?

I do have an upstairs hoover but out of courtesy to the neighbours I can't use it at times that I'd like to like early mornings, late evnings etc Also the boys hate the hoover so I try and do it when they're downstairs or in the garden  :)

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 22:29:16 PM »
Oh I wish there was a magic solution to tracking! My litter trays are in a walk in cupboard in the kitchen, which has vinyl floor, but then they walk straight into the lounge which has carpet, so I've put one of those chenille bath mats just across the threshold where the carpet starts - and it doesnt half collect a lot of litter! Mind you there are 44 paws tracking litter in my house LOL!  :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 22:11:50 PM »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Litter mats - fed up of litter tracking!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 21:55:23 PM »
Can anyone recommend a good litter mat? I have a PAH litter mat under/in front of the trays but I still get a huge trail of litter  :tired: I use Oko plus now which has quite large grains so the mat has just as much on it as normal carpet would.  Any good ones out there? Here's the type I've already got...

Link to CatChat