Author Topic: Hello...and advice please...  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Hello...and advice please...
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 12:36:33 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D You've definitely made the right decision  :wow: Teddy is supercute  :Luv2: I bet Tamsin and Emily are just as adorable, are you keeping their names?

Hope you have a fantastic honeymoon  :)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2009, 21:27:20 PM »
I'm sure you'll have a great time and just think you go on holiday leaving 2 kids and come back to FIVE  :rofl: (Now that's a successful honeymoon  :evillaugh: )
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline kellyn1201

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 21:00:17 PM »
Aw thanks Sam, actually the wedding was in April - a bit of a belated honeymoon because my Dad and Stepmum have very kindly taken a week off work to have our two children so we get a 'proper' honeymoon! ;D

Have been looking forward to this for over a year, but now it's just in the way of getting our fur babies - they're ready the day we fly out to Kos!  Sure I'll enjoy it really - won't get another chance for at least ten years!!  :Crazy:

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 20:58:50 PM »
 :yayyy: :yayyy: :yayyy: :1st place: on deciding to home them all :D

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 20:54:32 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS you won't regret it and you know where to come with all those funny little questions that you're bound to have.  As you have probably realised by now we are a very friendly bunch and we NEVER laugh or sneer at any question that is asked (unlike some forums who take great delight in pointing out a "newbies" lack of knowledge / experience.

Can't wait to see the babies.

Hope you have a great wedding and honeymoon  :hug:

Offline kellyn1201

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 20:45:25 PM »
Ok, just had an email from the rescue asking if we had made a decision on 2/3 and before I had chance to talk myself out of it :doh: I replied saying we would take the three  :shocked: :Luv2:

So look out for a new thread on 28th June "What on earth have I done? These blasted kittens are taking over the house!"  :evillaugh:

Seriously though, thank you all for the fabby welcome, and hopefully you will all be a great help to me when I become a cat mummy of three  :faint:  :rofl:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 17:32:15 PM »
ooooh how exciting ... I agree go for 3 ... they are no more trouble than 2 honestly.

Sam, Fxoy, Zephyr and Rossi xxx

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 10:57:09 AM »
Hi Kelly and  :welcome: to Purrs.

Go for three, go on you know you want to  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:.

Congrats on the Wedding and have a fab honeymoon.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 07:28:24 AM »
 :welcome: Kelly,

look forward to hearing about your 2 or 3 kitties  ;D
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 22:21:39 PM »
Oh Purrrr! That piccie is gorgeous!  :Luv2:

I liker your style knowing that we loves da pictures....your gonna go far kid!  ;) :hug:

Oops...Forgot to say  :congrats:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 23:05:57 PM by Bazsmum »

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 19:29:09 PM »
How cute!!! Enjoy the honeymoon and congraulations on the wedding :)

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time with the little monsters!  :evillaugh: They will be hard work, bundles of fun and will bring a whole new level of wonderfulness to your lives! Well done for offering these little kitties a home.

Offline kellyn1201

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 18:13:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies, it's all as clear as mud!  :evillaugh:

The rescue have said that they will introduce the kittens for a week before we pick them up, to make sure they are happy together and so they won't be strangers when we bring them home. We are actually on honeymoon for a week from 20th June, so will be picking the kittens up when we get back - they will be 9 weeks.  :Luv2:

Don't worry Bazsmum, I've lurked for long enough to be aware of the photo rule!  ;D In fact, here is a rubbishy phone photo of teddy when he was 3/4 weeks:

Hope that works?!  :shy:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 13:33:32 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs.... :)

I cant see any problems re having 3 kittens apart from your head spinning trying to keep an eye on them all!  :evillaugh:

When they are tiny you can put them in a large carrier together Im sure but as they grow, which wont take that long one each would be necessary!  ;)

They say 1 litter tray per cat plus one extra....when they are only tiny I would start of with two just and see how that goes...ie if they have any mishaps on the pooping front then add more!  ;D

Good Luck on whatever you decide re 2 or 3 and let us know how you get on!  :Luv: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 13:31:55 PM »
Forgot to ask- what age are the kittens? When are they ready for rehoming?

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 13:31:14 PM »
Hi and welcome to Purrs- enjoy it but be warned it can be rather addictive!

What I would say to one of my adopters (I'm in charge of homing with Cats protection) is that it's better to get the single cat or pair that know each other settled first before introducing another. With kittens though, they are rather more adaptable so there is a strong possibility they could cope with a new home and meeting a new compnaion at the same time if things are handled carefully. I definitely wouldn't separate the two that know each other so you need to decide whether or not you have the space to do the introductions, whether you are used to cats enough to go from none to three all in one fell swoop and whether or not you have the time to devote to training and bonding with three kittens. I know I found having just one very demanding but as a person who has 4 cats, I can honestly say I couldn't imagine having less than 3 again.

I would talk to the rescue they are coming from about what they advise as they may or may not be happy for you to home all three at once. If they are reputable they should also give you lots of information on kitten care and how to go about introducing the three kittens to one another. Ensure that the kittens are healthy and vaccinated when you adopt them as well as being regularly wormed and de-flea'd. Do do your research before comitting to adopting them as it's important not to get any nasty shocks.

In terms of the practicalities- to start with they could probably use the same carrier if large enough but as soon as they grow (which is very quickly) you will need three separate carriers. In terms of litter trays, I stand by Vicky Hall's (feline behaviourist) magic rule of 'one tray per cat plus one more' and so have 5 trays for 4 cats but they will definitely need at least one each for the rest of their lives and cats are rarely happy to share trays- again, do you have space for this?

If you discuss thoroughly, seek advice and decide you are ready for three cats to have everything they need, then I think it's great that three cats have a lovely, forever home. Just remember that they will be adult cats in a matter of months and what happens when they are growing up from kittens to cats can have such an important part to play in what they are like when they grow up.

Good luck and enjoy your new feline family members.  :hug: Also, remmeber itr's in the rules that you must post pics when they arrive- however many you have!

Offline kellyn1201

• Adult Cat
Hello...and advice please...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 11:18:13 AM »
Hello everyone,

Last weekend we went to visit our two new furbabies (Teddy and Tamsin) at their foster homes  :Luv2:

We naively took our 5 year old daughter with us  :innocent: and she fell in love with another kitten (Emily)  :scared: we have spent all week going around in circles whether to have the three  :shocked: or have Emily and one of the originals. Can anyone tell me honestly how different would it be having three instead of two?! We've already worked out that we can easily afford the food and insurance etc, and the neutering and injections would be just about affordable. It's practical things like getting them to the vets - would we need three carriers or can they share a large one as kittens and then go separately as adults? Do we really need 4 litter trays for three kittens?

Sorry for the silly questions, any advice would be appreciated!

Kelly

Link to CatChat