Author Topic: More advice needed please  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
Re: More advice needed please
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 12:18:01 PM »
Let us know how you get on!

What are the kitties names? (do you know?)
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 07:38:30 AM »
phone the Cat's Protection, offering to foster them until a permanent home can be found.

If only more people would do that, instead of demanding we go and pick up this cat NOW. our life would be much easier.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Clairio

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 20:46:10 PM »
I've made a decision.  I'm going to drop a note through the door basically saying I'm not sure if you were joking but if you wanted me to take the cats i will gladly take them in - then see what happens.  In the meantime I'm a night owl anyway and when i first thought they were strays used to go out and call them every 20 mins or so to see if they were around!  If i see them, I'll bring them in as much as they want to come in and if they're in loads over this weekend I'll ring the cats protection after the weekend for further advice.

Thank you so much for all your replies and advice.  Everyone's always really lovely and helpfull on this website.  It's so good to know I'm not alone in animal loving land!

:) xx

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 18:01:22 PM »
Sorry forever_missing, but Clairio whatever you do, DON'T ring the RSPCA!!! Phone CP if you need to, but not the other dreadful organisation.

It sounds as though your neighbours couldn't care less about these poor kits. My suggestion would be to wait until the REAL neighbour returns (if the woman you spoke to was telling the truth: she may have been the resident, but ducking the issue by saying she wasn't), then speak to them, making it clear that you would like to take the kittens in yourself. My guess is that they would allow you to have them.

On the other hand they may be giving you the "ownership runaround" because they fear reprisals (neglect etc). If this is the case, they wouldn't notice if you took the kits without saying a word.
Do you think she was telling you the truth? If not, just take the kittens in. If you can't afford to keep them, phone the Cat's Protection, offering to foster them until a permanent home can be found.
As for the pregnant mum: you could either allow her to have the kittens, or take the less pleasant path of having her spayed and aborted. I couldn't do the latter, but it may be more practical.

Good luck.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 15:55:10 PM »
The sad thing is they probably wont even notice if she had gone.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 15:42:52 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 13:45:02 PM »
awwwww poor kitties
if i was u id ask the owners straight out if they wanted them now shes pregnant if not tell them u would like to offer them a home ,if u cant afford to then ring the cpl or rspca least then they will be given food proper vetenary care and they will find new homes with people who do want them and will care for them properly .
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

ccmacey

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 13:42:16 PM »
Claire, they have already had a chance but done the wrong thing by letting her get pregnant. Maybe they could just spend more time at your house and see if the owner notices? You can phone your local CP and see what they suggest? I have always found that people who let their kittens out to roam the streets don't want them anyway, so just have a word, I know you say they are not nice but your just going to cause yourself more stress if you don't. And I bet the other kitten is the father so this will just keep on happening if she doesn't get spayed.

Offline Clairio

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 13:33:29 PM »
Sorry, i didn't make it very clear about the conversation.  She said the house was her friends and her freind was the one looking after them for her boyfriend, i just took it that her friend was out.  It didn't suprise me that someone other than a tennant had answered the door, there's always different people in and out of that house.

I'd say the cats are 7-8 months old.  The other one does come around sometimes but not as often as the pregnant one.  They don't appear to be underfed so they must be getting fed at home. I would be prepared to take them in if they don't want them and will do it if it comes to it but i'm not exactly in an ideal position to do so myself.  Me and the boyfriend are both away for three days next week and after racking up a bit of debt with the FELV related vet bills we wanted to get out of the red a bit before we extended our family again.  I'd hate to get stuck not being able to afford to gove her what she needed, that would make me just as irresponsible as they are.

Should i give them the chance to do the right thing first?  Or should i speak to them ASAP?  I only wish they were more approachable.

ccmacey

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 13:11:33 PM »
Hi Clare, would you like to take the cat on if she allowed you? Maybe you could have another talk with the woman about this? Where is the other kitten, and who has been feeding them while the owner is away? (obviously you). Has the owner gone away and asked this woman to come and close curtains etc, has he asked her to look after the cats or has he just left them to fend for themselves?

I would do exactly the same as you have been doing , feeding them.

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 13:08:00 PM »
Hello  :Sad Bye:

Maybe she said that "jokingly" to gauge your reaction in the hope that you might offer to take her. It sure doesnt sound as if they really care or they would have noticed she appears pregnant or would have at least showed some kind of caring reaction.

The fact they have let her out without bothering to spay her speaks volumes  >:(
The kitties are lucky to at least have a neighbour who cares for them, as otherwise she probably would have been let to her litter after litter and who cares about the kittens...

How old do you think she is? Would you take her in if you could?

Maybe you could offer to pay for the treatment etc if they agree to hand them over to you? (If you would like to take them on) otherwise they could be taken to a rescue?
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Clairio

• Kitten
More advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 13:02:43 PM »
Hello everyone

I need some more advice again please! 

I posted on here a while ago when two kittens appeared on my street and I was worried that they might be homeless.  It turned out that they lived in the house just over the road from me so I stopped feeding them immediately and left it at that.  They're lovely little things and often come over to say hello when I'm out in the garden.  One of them in particular has always been very friendly and seemed to be always on the scrounge for food.  On Wednesday night I arrived home at about 10.30pm after visiting a friend and as I was opening to she appeared again.  I picked her up to say hello and give her a quick cuddle and straight away I noticed that her teats/nipples were protruding and her belly was quite (but not overly) large.  It all started coming together, the hunger, the affection - poor little kitty is going t be a mum.  There were no light on at the house she lives in and I couldn't bear the thought of leaving her outside so although I was reluctant to do so as I'm not 100% positive she is pregnant I let her in and she stayed the night.  I let her out first thing and left for work and when I returned yesterday there she was again.  So I took her over to her own house.  A lady answered the door and after a short conversation with her I discovered that she didn't live there, the house belonged to her friend and the kittens belonged to her friends boyfriend who had gone away.  I told her that I'd originally heard that the cats were found in a bin (a story that came from my immediate neighbour which turned out to be false) and I was going to take them in to which she replied "you can keep it if you want" but then said she was just joking.  When I told her I thought she might be pregnant her response was "that'll be a nice surprise for him when he gets back" and closed the door.  She obviously didn't want to spend time chatting on the doorstep and I didn't push it any further, they're not the best neighbours I've ever had and to be honest up until now I've tried to avoid any contact with them.  So now I'm left feeling like I've let poor kitty down, that there should be something else I should do for her - or should there??  I've thought about nothing since this for the last 24 hours.  Should I intervene more?  Have i done enough?  Am I becoming obsessed with helping this cat as I lost my own young ones to FELV, something which left me feeling helpless as there was nothing I could do to save them?  I really feel like I've gone mad!  I'm sorry to babble on, I just want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.  Any advice would be much appreciated.

Claire

PS i would say this cat is about 7-8 months old, too young to be having babies i think.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 13:03:34 PM by Clairio »

Link to CatChat