Author Topic: Anyone seen these before?  (Read 3382 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Anyone seen these before?
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2007, 17:41:34 PM »
I've just watched the video again and noticed that at several points the cat is walking on wire.
I think they're just wire at the sides - if you look at the link in the first post the cat is walking on a flat surface.  To me it just looks like an activity centre that's outdoors.  They aren't so much a way to confine an outdoor cat as a way to provide exercise and play outside for indoor cats.

But I disagree with the regimentation of these runs: the cat can't move where it wants, or catch that fly which is just outside the runs "wire", or be playful for a while in its own territory.

Well that goes for any outdoor enclosure, doesn't it?  Or even a cat proofed garden.  There's always going to be something the other side of the fencing.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2007, 17:23:08 PM »
I've just watched the video again and noticed that at several points the cat is walking on wire. Not good for pussy-paws.
These are a bit like the type of enclosure used in the fur trade!
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2007, 17:12:39 PM »
I have no problem with safety fencing a garden to keep the cat within it's own garden where it can run, chase butterflies and shadows, and have a mad time when it wants. But I disagree with the regimentation of these runs: the cat can't move where it wants, or catch that fly which is just outside the runs "wire", or be playful for a while in its own territory.
If you watch the vid relating to these runs, the people who speak on it are vehemently anti-cat.

http://www.thecatsden.net/cat-enclosure-video.html

Link to the video.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 17:16:10 PM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2007, 15:00:36 PM »
Theres a very good article about cat runs in the April Cat World - I know its good, coz I wrote it!  :evillaugh: I've done one about safely fencing the garden for the May issue too.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2007, 14:28:00 PM »
I'm struggling to understand the whole cage business ... sorry as someone said a large cat run/enclosure is just a big cage, and also isnt a house an extended version..doesnt your cat sitting looking out of the windows at the birds feel tormented ????

I honestly think those walkway ones are a passage to somewhere else but if the cat didnt like it that much it wouldnt go out in it and yes fresh air is good for them etc.... i got no problems really, I'll tell you i'm being crueler than that just now coz my sebastian hasnt got access to his "cage" just now and he's well grumpy about it (small step in right direction this weekend though as hubby cleared the area where the slabs have to be laid  ;D)

I totally disagree with the inside or outside opinion though and not "tormenting" cats with what they cant have.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2007, 11:33:01 AM »
i actually don't think it is tormenting an indoor cat by having an outdoor run,

I agree and cannot understand the  comment to which you reply. Although I am not completely enamoured with the Catsden shown on the site.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 11:22:48 AM »
i actually dont think it is tormenting an indoor cat by having an outdoor run, it gives them fresh air, and it also gives them a change of scenery, and more space. And for some of the cats that have to be indoor only like FIV+, it means the owners know it is a safe space where they aren't coming into contact with anything that could make them ill. But for those who want to give their indoor cat access to a run etc, make sure you then start using worm and flea treatments, and consider vaccinating - if you dont already do any of them.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 01:04:01 AM »
If a cat is an indoor cat, then it shouldn't be tormented with a caged trail outside. This is cruel.
Outdoor or indoor. But don't torture the poor puss with what it can't have!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 22:51:50 PM »
They didn't really need to put that bit on about them not being cages but I can see where they're coming from.  They're no more a cage than any enclosure (which I suppose could be described as a cage!).  I think because they look a bit like a small cage like a kittening pen they are trying to point out that these have an entrance/exit and the cat isn't locked inside.

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 21:59:16 PM »
They are interesting but not sure that they can really say that they are not cages!
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 21:49:01 PM »
Appearance wise, I agree wooden enclosures are more aesthetically pleasing. But I was thinking from a cats perspective these would probably be more interesting. Especially if you can change the shape and areas the tunnels run through. It would cost a fortune, Lynn you're right!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 20:42:02 PM »
I think a lot of the tunnels lead to larger enclosures. I like the idea of them being able to move around an area and "get somewhere."

Yes - there are tunnels, bridges, towers etc and you connect them to make a sort of playground the size and shape you want.  I think I prefer the appearance of a wooden enclosure tbh, but these are probably easier to keep clean and have a more modern appearance which will appeal to some people.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 20:41:45 PM »
ive come across them online before, or similar...i think as suzanne says if those tunnels were basically a passage way to a run down the garden then its excellent..only draw back is to have that type of thing made in uk it would cost a FORTUNE.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 20:29:49 PM »
So what is the cat supposed to do in there? Just pace up and down? Or is it bigger than it looks?

I think a lot of the tunnels lead to larger enclosures. I like the idea of them being able to move around an area and "get somewhere."

I also know of Americans that hate declawing as a procedure.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2007, 20:22:28 PM »
They don't seem any different to any other outdoor enclosure except the pieces aren't made of wood and it's a modular system. 

And all this from a nation that thinks de-clawing is okay! :grr:

I feel I must defend Americans here!  There are a lot of them that do not think declawing is ok.  And there are plenty of idiots over here who would probably jump at the chance to declaw their cats if it was offered to them as part of a neuter/declaw package in the way it often is over there.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 19:30:00 PM »
Personally I think they're awful! Have you watched the video on the site? A cat being pushed around in a silly pink thing. Also the site seems to be sponsored by Bird Protection folk.
And all this from a nation that thinks de-clawing is okay! :grr:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 19:23:52 PM »
I think they look quite good.  The idea seems to be that you connect pieces of various shapes and size to make your own personalised enclosure to fit your garden.  It can be as big or as small as you like.

ccmacey

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 19:22:31 PM »
So what is the cat supposed to do in there? Just pace up and down? Or is it bigger than it looks?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 19:17:34 PM »
Yes, I saw these before - they just looked like cages to me! - despite the fact that the insist they are NOT cages, they are enclosures! hmmm! I suppose they could be expanded to make lots of  linked cages - oops I mean 'enclosures'  :evillaugh: to make it more interesting for the cat.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Anyone seen these before?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 12:21:20 PM »
http://www.thecatsden.net/

I think they look an interesting alternative to an outdoor run. :)

Link to CatChat