Author Topic: What do rescues do when the public ask for help with emergency vet bills?  (Read 3813 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
When you rehome a kitty which has had or has ongoing medical treatment or a medical condition do you carry on covering the costs when the kitty has been rehomed?

We do yes, if it means a home and makes space for another little one, we are happy to do so. Although I must say that some people will take on the expence. It is is a special diet we come to an agreement as to how much they would pay for 'normal' cat food and how much the special diet food is.

For FIV cats we pay for anythng that may be FIV related and golden oldies pay for anything that is age related.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Can I just ask you guys in rescue a question?

When you rehome a kitty which has had or has ongoing medical treatment or a medical condition do you carry on covering the costs when the kitty has been rehomed?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
We very rarely get those kind of phone calls, but

I wish, there is not a day goes by without such a call. Some people are very nice but others say or rather shout but I am on benefits. I know peoples cumstances change but sometimes you know full well that they have never worked and have no intention of working and have loads of pets, but it is always my fault the pet needs to see a vet and it it my responsibility I am often told.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
I know my vet won't use them, as they haven't been paid a few times

Now, where have I heard that before. No I do know but can't say. Obviously this must be a problem for many vets.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
We very rarely get those kind of phone calls, but prob couldn't afford to help too many times - PDSA is tricky where we are, I know my vet won't use them, as they haven't been paid a few times, I dont know about the rescues vet though, but they are a lot cheaper anyway.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
This may be different for different areas though.

You are not wrong. Our RSPCA helps no one and puts everyone on to us. The RSPCA inspectorate will pay the first £50 if a stray is found injured but not a penny more, the vet then has to decide what they will do.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
Our local branch of the RSPCA will usually help towards a vet bill if they are on Benefits, the person usually has to write in.  I know a few times if the treatment is ongoing and expensive, as long as the person uses the RSPCA clinic, they will provide the drugs at cost.  This may be different for different areas though.  I've been approached only a couple of times and the only thing I can do is get the treatment through my vet but at a reduced cost but I have to have the cat under my name.........I really cannot afford to be paying other people's vet bills as I have enough of my own.  I have allowed the odd one to get it put on my bill but you have to be careful doing this as you can be stung and never recover the money.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
canterbury..yes those that are between qualifiying for benefits and being "well off" are often / usually worse off than than those on benefits.

I was wondering, is this a very old sounding lady ? perhaps she would allow you to discuss whats what with the vet and maybe you would be able to put it into perspective for her etc ...what i mean is if shes really old or something she might be abit confused by it all or not even able to give tablets etc ?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
What do other organisations do when being asked for help?

It depends on the circumstances. There is no PDSA hospital in Chesterfield and only one vet who does PDSA work but for them to do that the pet has to be registered with the PDSA and the registration takes about 1 month to come through so that is no good in an emergency for an unregistered pet.

We have lent people money but few pay us back and we are owed thousands.

Often we now as that the cat be signed over to us  (obviously each case is different) and then we will do whatever it takes to ensure the cat receives whatever it needs.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
I know it's not relelvant in this case but the Blue cross also provide free vetinary treatment to people on benefit .. however they only have hospitals in London and Grimsby.

http://www.bluecross.org.uk/web/site/AboutUs/Veterinary/Hospitals.asp
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Thanks people! I will have a chat with her with the options but most of what has been mentioned I have passed on. 

Its a very difficult one though isnt it?

Sometimes people are just on the cut of between poor and rich and nothing qualifies, but I agree we dont usually give money to the public for cases when we dont know what the person will be using it for and in what way. 

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
I read more about PDSA Petaid. In areas where they don't have their own clinic. They have an arrangement with local vets where the PDSA pays the bills. There is a vet in Whitstable and another one in canterbury that do it. The person has to be on benefits to qualify so if she calls the main number 0800 731 2502 they will sort it out.
They ask that the person gives a contribution of whatever they can afford. We used to have one around the corner when I was a kid and we were poor so used to use it.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
about a lady who has a lovely cat but has been diagonised with kidney or thyroid problems and thus needs op and meds She just cannot afford it and loves the cat to bits but is aksing rescue organisation to help out, otherwise cat may be PTS. 

Are there other options for cases like this?

There are other options for hyperthryoidism, if thats what it is, the cat could be stabilised on meds, the op is only one option. The meds can be bought online (with prescription from the vet) cheaper than from the vet. I wonder if her vet has gone through all the options with her?

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
and you know what annoys me, due to legislation and law/rules etc vets legally have to use the drugs that have the relevant animal licences and only where the drug they need to use doesnt have an veterinary licence are they allowed to use the "human" types/generic branded,...many if not most of the drugs are exactly the same but the only difference being is the veterinary specific type costs usually more than double (sometimes many) times the cost of human ones which makes illnesses so much more expensive to treat.  This means that the tablets etc for this ladys cat will be much more expensive that they would have been just a few years back when this laws werent so strict.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
According to this there is a PDSA petaid in canterbury but it doesn't give the address. There is a number to call. I know they give free treatment but it's means tested.  0800 731 2502

http://www.pdsa.org.uk/managed/finder_action.html
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
We are lucky in that we have a PDSA hospital in Coventry, so if anyone is on benefits then they would go there.
We have come unstuck on lending money out before. You have to be careful that people do not take advantage. This time in question the treatment was not as we would have asked for , the cat lost its leg and I don't think we got the money back - or at least it took a long time.

We said after the above we would only consider paying if the cat was handed over to us for treatment, so that we could control what was happening and at least this way we would qualify for a reduced cost.
It has to be on a case by case basis. Can't the vet help with a payment plan? or perhaps as others do on here suggest a new credit card to pay for the op and then pay back when she can.
Does the blue cross help in cases like this?

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
What do rescues do when the public ask for help with emergency vet bills?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 18:06:14 PM »
Hi all
A message on the phone today about a lady who has a lovely cat but has been diagonised with kidney or thyroid problems and thus needs op and meds She just cannot afford it and loves the cat to bits but is aksing rescue organisation to help out, otherwise cat may be PTS.  Anotehr volunteer is on the phone to her, but generally we just give out other numbers including Tailwaggers trust, as we just cannot help people with huge vet bills. We have contributed to anotehr rescue fund to help a cat (a stray) with a severe fractured pelvis and the vet agreed to do the op very cheaply and thus most local rescues contributed to the cost and the cat got rehomed with someone, but we generally cannot help all those people that ring us about vet bills.  Its heartbreaking but with Solomon in our care we have a large bill pending. Also it opens the flood gates to all. Are we being harsh or realistic?
Are there other options for cases like this?

What do other organisations do when being asked for help?
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Link to CatChat