Author Topic: Hand Reared adult cat low immune help !!  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Hand Reared adult cat low immune help !!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 20:49:51 PM »
Hi Timothy  :welcome: to Purrs

So pleased you and your boy are happier with the new vets and that he seems to be responding well tothe treatment.

Can't offer any advice on boosting his immue system I'm afraid but I'm sure others will be able to offer their wisdom.

P.S.  Did you know the rules state we must see a pics of members furbabes  :evillaugh:

Sam, Foxy, Zephyr and Rossi xxxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline timothy08

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 17:59:12 PM »
  Well my lil cat has finally had his abcess drained again and some stronger antibiotics and his fur is growing back. As to advice I swopped vets he also reacted a lot better to the change so i think he prefers the vet . They were very kind and examined him well and said he seemed otherwise to be healthy although he needed drops for his eyes again his food has been changed and I am  limiting the time he spends in the garden whilst he puts some more weight on . It is entirly possible he has low immune although it was felt a diet change might help boost it so I remain optimistic . He is a little less clingy so fingers crossed he will be totally himself again soon. Still any advice on boosting immune systems would be gratly recieved. ;D

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 07:11:59 AM »
Hope you get something sorted out soon Timothy let us know how you get on.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline timothy08

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 09:01:58 AM »
 :Bye:  VETS yes I agree that would be the best course of action firstly your all right with that advice .

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 08:30:49 AM »
Hello Timothy and   :welcome:  to Purrs

Thank you for taking this boy in and giving him a home

I hope you have some luck and he begins to improve, I imagine he needs another course of antibiotics and like already suggested a different Vet

good luck and keep us posted
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 08:22:04 AM »
I would change vets too,  see if you can get to see a vet in a different practice today,   we had similar problems with a vet that was treating one of my cats who was very poorly,   we changed vets (within the practice) and it turned out that she needed an operation for an infection.

One of my cats 'Polly' had an abcess on the base of her tail,  it was there for quite a while despite it being drained and given antibiotic shots,    but it did go after a few months,  horrible for the poor thing.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 08:24:14 AM by Daisymac »

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 08:11:55 AM »
I personally would change vets, and go to one that is more sympathetic. I would definitely ask them to run more tests, but not sure if you can test a cats immune system. It could be that he needs a different kind of ab (what has he had already?), or a longer course. Have they drained the abscess?
Please spay your cat

Offline timothy08

• Kitten
Hand Reared adult cat low immune help !!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 08:07:35 AM »
 :-[  my lovly tabby cat was handreared since he was found thrown away by some heartless cretin a year ago back then he was tiny and eyes were not open noone expected him to survive the night I was told he would be best put to sleep but hes here a year later. He was neutered and recieved all the neccesary jabs he also barely ever ventures far from his doorstep as he is extremly clingy and does not like to feel alone.
However a couple of months ago he developed flu sypmtons and was treated with eye drops and meds,then a week later the tiniest cut ever resulted in his paw enlarging to twice its size again it was treated with antibiotics then an abcess on the top of his tail appeared it spread round his anus and he could not even sit he has recieved several shots but nothing has got rid of this abcess which as soon as drained reappears despite antibiotics. He also then developed another eye infection.
My vets do not seem bothered and appear more interested in syphoning cash from me than sympathising with what he is going through. At first they refused to test him  >:( for things like aids but it has since come back negative.
He is eating regularly but his coat is starting to lose its shine he is also losing weight and is wanting me to carry him around the house like I did when he was a baby and is crying when I leave him which I think are all signs he is not himself.
My question is this is there any unexplored illnesess I should be checking for ?? Is it because he was handreared and has a low immune system ?? If so is there something I can be doing to improve hisimmune system and what about this abcess why does it keep coming back ?? Any advice you think could help him please advise as im really worried.

Link to CatChat