Author Topic: Curious about adopting a cat but also wary (Long!).  (Read 10514 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Curious about adopting a cat but also wary (Long!).
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 11:40:14 AM »
Just realised Jasmine will be in her new home now..... :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 23:29:29 PM »
Does Drifter need a new home  :rofl:  He is stunning  :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 22:30:21 PM »
WOW Drifter is  :Luv2: too !!!

If things had been different with my Issey then maybe I would have looked into the Sister.....But its not the right time atm, thanks though....I'll just dribble over your pictures when you get her  :evillaugh:

Offline Sakura Moon

• Kitten
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 22:05:16 PM »
That's it! Drifter loves the dangly toy and Jellybean liked to attack him through the ladder! :naughty:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 22:00:00 PM »
Russell Hardy? Mine looks identical and is the De Luxe Bastion  ;D

Offline Sakura Moon

• Kitten
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 21:55:46 PM »
It was hand made by a chap who goes to practically every cat show with them, and online. I forget the name now but it's a great tower, really sturdy!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 21:43:12 PM »
Jasmine is beautiful, so pleased you have found 'the one'  :) Drifter is a stunner too :drool;  Looks like he has the same climbing tower as my boys ;D

Offline Sakura Moon

• Kitten
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 21:36:31 PM »
Thanks! We have been very lucky, though any cat that we owned would be beautiful in their own way.

Drifter is a complete clown, absolutely huge but a wimp. He jumps at his own shadow and does flying leaps into the water bowl. :rofl: We love him and all his foibles. It's his first birthday on Sunday and he has a big tin of smelly tuna all to himself. 8)

Ooh and Millys Mum, Sakura does mean Cherry Blossom but we can't call her that because it is Drifter's posh show name. He is called Sakura Moon.  8)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 21:40:42 PM by Sakura Moon »

Offline LadyJane

• Hero Cat
  • Samson xx
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 21:33:32 PM »
What a beauty!

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,26287.0.html

Playing on the bridge - Sooty, Misty, Tim, Tom, Ebony and Pepsi - I miss you all and think of you often

Offline Sakura Moon

• Kitten
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 21:32:28 PM »
Thanks! She is beautiful isn't she. :Luv: It's her personality that we liked the most though. :D I would have never have thought of a Siamese but once we met her and her family we fell in love, even my sceptical OH!

Drifter has been lonely without a friend, but he's had lots of people interaction to make up for it a bit. We've got to know him a bit better too, and come to realise that Drifter would much prefer if he had a sister or brother who got the most attention. Drifter likes to do his own thing! Here he is:

Michelle, if you are seriously interested her twin sister is also for sale (she was returned at the same time as Jasmine). She is identical to Jasmine, maybe a shade lighter, and has a lovely personality too! She is in Bristol. PM me if you want the breeder's contact details!

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 20:51:15 PM »
previous cat died of FIP, Michelle, and advised to wait a few months before introducing another

Nice to see she listenend to advice......now thats a good, caring owner  ;)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 20:30:54 PM »
previous cat died of FIP, Michelle, and advised to wait a few months before introducing another
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 19:24:39 PM »
OH MY GOODNESS.....THATS MY DREAM CAT  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

she is stunning, i love her....i WANT her  :evillaugh:

Why have you gotta wait till September though ????

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 19:06:16 PM »
Id call her sakura like your screen name, i love that, means cherry blossom i think?
Shes a very pretty girl, i hope drifter likes his new friend  ;D

Offline LadyJane

• Hero Cat
  • Samson xx
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 18:59:33 PM »
Awww what a beautiful elegant cat!

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,26287.0.html

Playing on the bridge - Sooty, Misty, Tim, Tom, Ebony and Pepsi - I miss you all and think of you often

Offline Sakura Moon

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 18:51:17 PM »
Hi all! Thanks for the comments, I thought I would update you.

Time is a healer, the fear of losing another cat is dissipating somewhat. You can't allow fear to rule your life can you?

And....We have found Drifter a friend! ;D

We'd been looking at websites and adverts, and emailing a few people, when I came across an advert for a 5 month old girl who needed rehoming. It was through no fault of her own, the couple she went to with her sister as a kitten split up so she was returned to the breeder. She sounded ideal, a lap cat who loved purring and following people around the house to see what they were up to. She was beautiful in photos too. The trouble was that it was too early for us to take her home, but after talking to the breeder they said that if we all liked each other then they would keep her until we could bring her home in September!

We visited and she curled up on my OH's lap, purring away, and headbutted my hand for strokes. She followed us to the front door when we left too! The breeder asked us to think about it over the weekend and get back to us, but emailed us early saying that she couldn't wait any longer for a decision, she was on tenterhooks! She thinks that we will offer the cat a great home so she is coming to us in September!

Meet Jasmine! She will be 8 months old when she comes to us. She's a female fawn tabby-point Siamese, just been neutered. We think Drifter will like her, she loves to play and she's so very pretty!  :wow: :Luv:

And wearing a lovely sexy stocking to stop her licking her stitches!

Can't wait until she comes home!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 08:50:15 AM »
Just saw this post Sakura Moon and hope you find the right pal for Drifter when you are ready.  So very sad about Jellybean  :(.

So glad you didn't give a full address as all 6 of mine have packed their bags and are waiting by the front door to come and move into your fabulous puddy home  :)

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 13:04:53 PM »
Sorry to hear you had to go through the awful FIP with Jelly.  I agree with Dawn, just because a cat comes from a breeder do not think it will be healthier than a rescue cat.  I run a small rescue but in 2007 I took in a cat from a breeder and within two weeks we had to have him put him to sleep with FIP.  My vet told me there was nothing more that I could have done and he was already harbouring the virus before he came to me.  The breeder knew he was coming to a house with other cats in it and knew he had been exposed to FIP but did not tell me.  So be just as wary of breeders as you are with rescues, as with everything there are good ones as well as bad.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 08:46:24 AM »
I would say that any cat can harbour disease, I understand that once you have been through something like this you are wary but there have been people on the board with ped cats who've died of FIP so its not a guarantee - go with your heart the right one is probably just around the corner!

Offline Sakura Moon

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 21:58:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies. It's something we're thinking about anyway, we'll know if the right cat turns up. And thanks Helen's boys! :evillaugh:

Trigger, I am very sorry you also lost a cat to FIP. :hug: It's horrible. Jelly died at the Uni hospital too. She was tested free from leukaemia and enteritis before she went there. I think that FIP is a bad luck thing really, apparently only 3% of cats who get the corona virus will have it erupt into FIP, most will just get a day of diarrhoea if that. The vet said not to dwell on it, just keep an eye on Drifter and leave it a good few months before taking on another cat (we're leaving it 4). As for testing, Drifter probably does have the corona virus but there's nothing we can do about it, and life is too short to sit and worry. None of my cat owning friends ever had an FIP cat in their lives.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 20:48:11 PM »
I was in a similar postition - I had two kittens from different breeders, and both got the Corona virus - Boycie went on to develop FIP, and was euthanized at the Bristol Veterinary hospital. They advised me that Trigger might not develop FIP, and if he was OK after 6 months he probably wouldn't, but might later if subject to too much stress, or if he was exposed to the FeLV virus

I later took in a kitten from next door, which was not being treated properly, and she has always been healthy -  just lately I have been looking for a rescue cat, and have insisted that any candidates must be tested for FIV and FeLV - one I paid for myself, and he tested postitive for FIV, and the second was being tested by the rescue anyway, and also was FIV positive. My third candidate has tested FIV and FeLV negative, and also negative for Corona virus, which the vet recommended be done too. He will be joining me as soon as a chest infection has cleared up.

So I understand your concern, and although the first rescue and fosterers did not really want to have the cat tested, I was glad I insisted, as he is quite safe, and will stay permanently with the fosterers. The vet treating the third cat for his chest infection was very encouraging, and thought I was quite right to want the tests. So perhaps you can go down this route too.

edited to add: of the three rescues I have dealt with, none tested routinely - the second (CP) had arranged tests only because the cat had gum disease, and the vet suspected he might be FIV positive
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 20:50:43 PM by trigger »
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 20:29:44 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs

Sorry to hear about Jellybean, she sounds like she was a lovely girl and very much loved :hug:  I think a rescue cat would be the best way to go, as Beth says they will have been healthchecked before rehoming and you will also have an idea of their temperament.  A kitten could grow up to be too dominant for Drifter or not be a particularly cuddly lapcat whereas with a rescue cat you would have a good idea of how they are likely to fit into your home.

Your home and homelife sounds fantastic by the way and my boys are asking whether you might like to adopt them instead  :evillaugh:

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 20:22:30 PM »
Welcome to purrs :) best of luck finding your new furry friend when the time is right. :hug: I think most rescues run blood tests to check their cats aren't harbouring any nasty diseases, so that may well be your best bet for a healthy cat. :Luv2:

Offline Sakura Moon

• Kitten
Curious about adopting a cat but also wary (Long!).
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 20:17:15 PM »
Hi everyone!

My partner and I live in Weston-super-Mare, Somerset. We're looking to home a kitten/under 1 year old cat in September this year. We're talking to breeders etc, and keeping an eye out for local moggie litters, but we're also a bit curious about taking on a rescue. We've has a traumatic experience lately with our cats so we are also very wary about taking on a cat with an unknown/dubious background. I shall explain....

Until May 5th we had two kittens, our first cats, Drifter a neutered male Maine Coon (now 10 months old) from a fantastic breeder, and Jellybean, a neutered female moggie kitten who we purchased locally when she was 10 weeks old. On May 5th though Jellybean lost her battle with Feline Infectious Peritonitis. She was only 8 months old when she was put to sleep, we had her for 6 months and then lost her. She was the most wonderful kitten, she loved people and laps and was so caring and full of love. I feel as if she was my kitty soulmate because we bonded so tightly and so quickly. After she was put to sleep we donated her body to the university so that they can find out more about FIP. One day there will be a cure for FIP, and Jellybean will have been a part in developing that cure. I am sure that is why she was brought to earth and to us, to go on to save other lives after enriching ours.

Drifter is ok, touch wood the virus hasn't erupted in him. The vet said that he is unlikely to get FIP himself and we can get him a new friend after a few months of quarantine. So we're looking to home another cat in September. We can never replace Jellybean but Drifter is a young gregarious boy, and he really needs another cat around as a friend. The reason we are scared of taking on a rescue is that what if they have picked up diseases, viruses and illnesses during their time as a stray, and they will die a really horrible way like Jellybean did. Or they will give Drifter a bug and he will get hurt. With a pedigree breeder we would at least know the health and background of the cat and it's family. But rescues are often lovely cats too. It's difficult to know what to do.

Drifter is growing into a very big boy, over 11lb already (and not fat, just huge), and doesn't tend to realise his own strength when he plays. But in general he is a gentle, slightly nervous, boy who I think could be bullied by a particularly assertive cat. Jellybean was tiny (less than half his weight) but she was in charge of him, though she did rule with a silk covered iron glove! We don't Drifter to be unhappy with his new friend, this IS Drifter's home and he should feel safe and secure in it. He does need a friend though, he misses cat interaction and has taken to talking to flies instead....

As to what kind of cat we want, well, the right cat will choose us like Jelly and Drifter did, but we do have a few desires. We would really like another people loving lap cat. This is very important. I am disabled and the cats are my companions during the day, I find that stroking a purring fur-ball on my lap really helps to control my chronic pain. For Drifter as well as us we would like a cat young and friendly enough to play and be a kitten. After having Jellybean so poorly I am afraid that we are not willing to take on a cat with pre-diagnosed illnesses, though they will get all care they need if they fall ill while with us.

What can we give the cat? Two loving parents and two sets of devoted grand-parents (who send presents for said cats at Christmas and when they go on holidays!). We live in a 2 bed terrace house (our cats are indoor cats, we live too close to a dual carriageway - literally 100 yards away - for it to be safe for them to go out alone. We do take them out on harnesses though if they like the idea), with a small fenced garden (in which their Dad is building a little pen for summer lounging). They have full access to the house in the day, and half access during the night (otherwise Drifter jumps on our heads then goes and raids the fridge). They have 3 lovely scratching posts (one 6 foot tall tower, one 2 foot tall post, one 1 foot tall post. Guess which one humongous Drifter likes?? :rofl:), beds if they want them (though obviously the sofa is far more attractive), and 2 covered litter boxes. They have good quality dry food (Drifter is on Arden Grange Sensitive because we noticed a grain intolerance) with occasional treats of fish (or raw/frozen vegetables in Drifter's case, strange cat). They are insured for life with Pet Plan and get prompt veterinary attention should they need it, as well as standard care. I think the most important thing though is that they have two people who will love them very much indeed.

We can travel up to an hour's drive from Weston-super-Mare to come and visit cats. We believe in clicking with a cat, and they will show if they want to be ours, and so we know that we may have to see a few cats before finding the right one for us. We won't take on a cat who would not be happy with us, as it's not fair on us or them.

Hope you managed to get through this essay!

Sakura :Luv:

Link to CatChat