Author Topic: 6 Foster Kittens with Momma ~ 2nd Momma Cat and 6 Kittens! OMG!  (Read 7805 times)

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
Re: 6 Foster Kittens with Momma ~ 2nd Momma Cat and 6 Kittens! OMG!
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2009, 22:35:13 PM »
That's great news so far and some progress, it seems...  *touches wood*
And some very beutiful Wee Silvies - where do you find all the prettiest cats and kittens?!

Offline HaneyHarperIndyMum (Val)

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2009, 19:48:21 PM »
Momma Cat #2 and her 6 kittens.  Awwwwww so cute!   So far, no diarrhea this afternoon! YIPPEE!!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2009, 07:50:15 AM »
Fingers crossed the meds and new food works.
Please spay your cat

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2009, 03:25:13 AM »
Thank you Desley and Roz.

The stood sample was negative for parasites so the vet felt it was more bacterial in the bowel.  He prescribed Metronidazole antibiotic.  It also has anti-inflammatory effects in the bowel. Metronidazole is bactericidal; it kills bacterial microorganisms.  He also prescribed Loperamide for the diarrhea.  The vet also recommended giving probiotics, so Danuta is bringing me some tomorrow since she already has some at home.  Momma Cat #2 was dehydrated so she received some Sub~Q fluids as well. 

The vet did say that Momma Cat is underweight so hopefully once this diarrhea clears up she will begin to put on some weight.  She only weighted 6.1 pounds.  She is so tiny.

The vet said to keep feeding her the kitten kibble because she does need the extra nutrients and to also feed her the wet canned food four times a day but in smaller amounts.  I now have the a/d prescription diet.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 04:51:39 AM by HaneyHarperIndyMum (Val) »

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2009, 17:21:25 PM »
You'll be glad to get them all checked out - I know I always am when I've been to the vet with any of mine, even if they're not sick!
Look forward to hearing how you get on.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2009, 08:22:13 AM »
I agree with changing the dry, but I wouldn't stop her eating the wet, she will need that for her hydration levels. Good luck with the vets
Please spay your cat

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2009, 22:11:50 PM »
Thanks all.  Oh that's OK Lesa, I knew you would find this thread eventually.

I finally got in touch with Danuta, the lady from the cat rescue.   She agreed that Momma Cat #2 needs a stool sample taken and to been seen by her vet along with her 6 kittens for overall well being check up.  She did say that if Momma Cat has parasite worms then chances are that the kittens have them too.  Danuta also mentioned that it is a possibility that there might be a intestinal bacterial infection as she has seen this sort of thing in neglected rescue cats before.  Either way a stool sample will be needed for a proper diagnose.  The bad part is that Danuta is not even here in town right now and won't be back until tomorrow morning, therefore Momma Cat#2 won't be seen by the vet until tomorrow (Tuesday).  I'm looking forward to going to the vet's with Danuta tomorrow so I can hear first hand what the vet thinks about how underweight Momma Cat #2 is.

Meanwhile, Danuta told me to stop feeding the dry kitten kibble and go back to only feeding the dry adult cat kibble.  She also recommended that I stop feeding all wet canned food as well.  I then asked her if I could just reduce the amount of wet canned food to only 1/2 a can in the pm and the am.  She said I could but suggested I sprinkle it with some Old Fashion Quaker Oats.  I am concerned about dehydration, but not overly so as yet since Momma Cat #2 has been eating her wet food which I also have been adding extra water to.   
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 22:15:31 PM by HaneyHarperIndyMum (Val) »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2009, 18:47:51 PM »
If her tum is that bad id go to the vets, they can dehydrate quickly and she also has the kittens taking from her

Offline sixfurballs

• Senior Cat
  • Bronte, Dino, Huxley & Heidi
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2009, 12:56:53 PM »
Val, I'm sorry I had completely missed this thread. Sorry to her Mum 2 isn't well. Poor little girl had looked so thin already. That type of diarrhoea sounds just as bad as Dino's was last summer when he was on those drugs for his skin that we had to change. My vet thought he just couldn't cope with them and had a bad reaction to them.

If you can get her into the vet please let me know how you get on.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2009, 07:59:15 AM »
I agree, I'd get in the vets today poor girl   :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2009, 07:50:38 AM »
I would put her on bland food immediately - it could be the kitten food that is causing the diarrhea, while it is good for calories, not all cats can tolerate it, and if she is a stray, she might not be able to cope with rich food. I would definitely get her to the vets asap, she might need a jab to settle her tum down and then introdue richer foods gradually.
Please spay your cat

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2009, 04:36:56 AM »
Thanks Millys Mum and Roz. 

I must admit that I am starting to get a bit worried about Mummy Cat #2.  She has had the worst diarrhea today. I don't mean to sound gross but I'm talking that it is so bad that she has not even made it to her litter tray before it is just pouring out of her....all over my carpeting...so runny....just awful!   I stopped feeding her the KMR stage 2 mixed into her food several days ago because I thought that was what was causing her diarrhea, but she has only continued to get worse.  I am only feeding her twice a day now the tinned food plus she has unlimited dry kitten kibble to eat throughout the day and night.  She has not put on any weight since I got her a week ago, and since this diarrhea thing started, she looks even more gaunt to me and so sunken in.  I am beginning to think she needs a trip to the vet's just to be checked out?   What could be causing this severe diarrhea? 

Danuta, the lady from the rescue is bringing me more supplies tomorrow so I will talk to her about this plus about the wormer meds for them all.    For the kittens in the first group, I have 3 small kitten litter trays plus one big one for Momma Cat #1 to use.  Her kittens seem to prefer using Momma Cat's litter box which has the clay clumping litter in it rather than using their own trays which has the pine pellets in it.   Good idea Millys Mum to put a few litter trays in several in strategic areas.....since they still had a few accidents today as well.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 04:47:35 AM by HaneyHarperIndyMum (Val) »

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2009, 22:46:36 PM »
That could be a factor then - if we ate nothing but boiled fish and potatoes for a week only once a day and then suddenly filled ourselves up with macaroni cheese, chilli con carne and coq au vin, I think our digestions might have something to say about it!  :evillaugh:
Worms won't help either ... :sick:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2009, 20:24:41 PM »
The mums will need doing too, it could be another factor as to why mum cat 2 is thin.
Im not sure what products you have over there and when they can be used,it would be best to bring this up with the lady next time you speak.
I worm little ones every 2 weeks until 12 weeks, then monthly until 6 months, its amazing how long it can take before any worms come out  :tired:
It will entirely depend on what drugs you have across the pond!

How many kitten trays are there? Sometimes you need several in strategic postions to get their attention
Do they target a particular area? If so put a tray there
Make sure you put some poops in the trays to get the right smell in there  ;D

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2009, 06:02:08 AM »

Have they had wormers yet?

No Millys Mum they have not had wormers yet.  At what age should wormers be given?  They are now 34 days old.  They are all eating solid foods now.  They are still learning to use the litter box but there has been several accidents.  I have not noticed any worms in their poo so far.  Is it pretty much a guarantee that they will have worms?

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2009, 19:58:23 PM »
For skinny cats too much food at once can be hard to digest, if you can feed her lots of small meals she may be able to cope better. They are keeping you on your toes arent they  :hug:
Have they had wormers yet?

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2009, 18:15:16 PM »
Roz she came from a elderly man who was a bit of a cat hoarder.  He had cats everywhere, inside and outside.  None of them had proper feeding or medical care.  He was in bankruptcy and was suicidal.  Thank goodness he contacted the Danuta at her cat rescue.   It's just that Momma Cat #2 is so thin.  I'm sure she has not had proper nutrition and what she was being feed was probably low quality food. 

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2009, 16:37:08 PM »
Val, do you know the history of Momma#2?  It could be that her diarrhoea is just a reaction simply just to getting some proper food, rather than any particular type of food you're giving her.  That sounds like a bit of a contradiction, but you know what I mean!

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2009, 04:35:42 AM »
Thank you Millys Mum and Roz.

I know what you mean about that adorable little whiten kitten.  I've read that white kittens with blue eyes are born deaf.  I keep snapping my fingers above his head to see if I get any reaction.  So far it has been inconclusive.  He does have blue eyes right now but they still may change color, right?  He and his litter mates are only 31 days old.

You will know mum cat is making enough milk as the little ones will gain weight slowly and are not interested in extra feeds. Happy kittens are warm, quiet and uninterested in kmr  ;D
You could also compare her bumps to original mum cat to give you an idea of milk levels.
Have you been shown how to feed them as its important they dont inhale any milk.

Clay litter is ok aslong as it isnt eaten, weaning kittens will often experiment with nibbling litter so its best to avoid it. I would try to find a finer litter eg swheatscoop, worlds best types but thats more my preference, it encourages them to dig if its soft and fine  ;D

Thank you Millys Mum.  Yes, I have been shown how to syringe feed them.  The lady from the rescue did provide me with all the supplies and demonstrated a few feedings for me.  I'm fairly certain that mum cat is making enough milk but she does not "look" as full as my other mummy cat.  I did try a few syringe feedings but they don't seem interested so I stopped. 

A few of the kittens in the second litter woke up this morning with crusty eyes but I already had on hand some eye drops from the first litter having the same problem.  I applied the drops and will continue, so hopefully it will not develop into anything further. 

Also I was adding the KMR stage 2 to Mummy cats tinned food for added nutrients since she is so thin.  However, she has developed diarrhea the last two days, so I stopped adding the KMR.  Hopefully by tomorrow the diarrhea will have stopped. I've been feeding her 4 times a day plus she has unlimited dry kitten kibble as well.   I'm just so worried because Mumma Cat #2 is so thin.  I just wanted to try and bulk her up some.

As far as the clumping cat litter,  I'm using that for Mummy cat but I have the pine pellets for the kittens in shallow trays.  Kitten family #1 has not yet learned to use the litter trays.  For two days now they have been eating solid tinned kitten food mixed with KMR stage 2 as well as unlimited nibbling on dry kitten kibble throughout the day. 
They went poop for the first time that was solid,  but they did not go in the litter trays, but on my carpeting.  :(  I told Mummy Cat she needs to help me teach them the proper way to the loo! lol :rofl:

« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 04:44:27 AM by HaneyHarperIndyMum (Val) »

Offline Millies mum

• Senior Cat
  • ice baby
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2009, 09:35:29 AM »
I'm catching a flight for the cute little white one  :rofl:

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2009, 22:06:35 PM »
Sorry, I'm rubbish - I don't know anything about food and litter for kittens!
The best I can do is drool at the pictures and videos, they are all just so cute, especially the Momma Cats.  Glad they're all doing OK so far.  You're giving all those kittens the best start they could hope for, and the Momma Cats the best help with their kittens that they could get.
 :Luv:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2009, 19:35:39 PM »
You will know mum cat is making enough milk as the little ones will gain weight slowly and are not interested in extra feeds. Happy kittens are warm, quiet and uninterested in kmr  ;D
You could also compare her bumps to original mum cat to give you an idea of milk levels.
Have you been shown how to feed them as its important they dont inhale any milk.

Clay litter is ok aslong as it isnt eaten, weaning kittens will often experiment with nibbling litter so its best to avoid it. I would try to find a finer litter eg swheatscoop, worlds best types but thats more my preference, it encourages them to dig if its soft and fine  ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2009, 07:26:28 AM »
I tend to just have a feel of them and see if they are quite bagged up, never tried squeezing nipples. Glad they have had a bit of a supplement though.

I have heard clumping litter shouldnt be used till they are old enough to stop wanting to eat it, not sure if you should change litter in Mum's tray though - there is one US clumping litter that is fine, I think it is Shweat Scoop, or something along those lines, as that isnt' a clay based litter.
Please spay your cat

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2009, 00:12:49 AM »
Thanks all.  I am enjoying being a foster mum to these precious kittens and their mummies so much!  I have 5 cats of my own and now with all these kittens, I now have 19 cats in my home!! :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy:   The first set of kittens is doing fantastic!  They are beginning to play and run around like mad!  What a joy they are to watch.  Below are a few new video's for you to see.  Enjoy!  Guaranteed to make you smile, although Momma Cat #1 is getting a bit rough with her kittens at times.

If they are only slightly gaining, I would supplement them, especially with their history, even if it is just one extra feed a day - can you see how much milk she has?

Hi Desley.  I took your advice and decided to start the syringe feedings at least once a day.  I'm not sure how I can tell if Momma Cat #2 is producing enough milk?  Any hints?  I did lightly squeeze a few of her nipples and did see some white fluid except in one.  I'm not sure if it was because the kittens had depleted her supply in that nipple or what?  I did manage to get 1 ml into each kitten of KMR.

Do you have a shallow tray down for them to use yet, my tabitha first used the tray at 3.5 weeks  :Luv2: shes a smart girl lol

Hi Millys Mum.  Your Tabitha is a smart girl!  Lucky you!  I did buy a small kitten size litter pan and some pine litter pellets.    I'm glad you brought up the subject of litter trays because I am concerned about the type of litter to use with tiny kittens.  I did some research on the internet and found some sites claim that clay clumping litter is deadly to small kittens!  So that is why I bought the pine pellets instead.  However, Momma Cat is using clay clumping litter in her larger litter tray.  Any advice that you may have would be greatly appreciated.  Have you heard that clumping clay litter is bad? 

Offline Mollyrock

• Senior Cat
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2009, 20:03:33 PM »
What beautiful cats & kittens. You are doing a wonderful job hon  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2009, 19:57:08 PM »
They will have little sharp teeth in there already, so biting the bowl is just a sign of moving onto solids. You could try some thinly sliced chicken, they seem to enjoy chewing that  ;D
The kittens will more than likely do everything, sometimes they need a hand but generally they wean and litter train themselves  :wow:
Do you have a shallow tray down for them to use yet, my tabitha first used the tray at 3.5 weeks  :Luv2: shes a smart girl lol

Offline Millies mum

• Senior Cat
  • ice baby
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2009, 08:37:47 AM »
Wow what gorgeous kittens if i was you i'd want to keep the all  :naughty:you must be really busy well done! :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2009, 08:17:31 AM »
If they are only slightly gaining, I would supplement them, especially with their history, even if it is just one extra feed a day - can you see how much milk she has?
Please spay your cat

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 23:34:45 PM »
Thank you Angie and Millys Mum. I did mix some KMR 2nd stage gruel up today and added some tinned food.  I made it rather soupy and placed it in a low profile dish.  Momma Cat began lapping it up and then one of the calico kittens lapped some as well but also began biting on the edge of the dish as if she were teething.  None of the other kittens were interested in the food.  Does Momma Cat really do most of the training herself or should I try to spoon feed them to spark their interest?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 23:37:10 PM by HaneyHarperIndyMum (Val) »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 16:59:03 PM »
Theres no need to worry at 4weeks if they are not weaning, the meat should get their interest tho  ;D

Your 2nd mum is lovely, fingers crossed the extra food helps her make what they all need

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 15:11:33 PM »
What a group of beautiful kittens - at least the won't be hard to home.

yours, black and whites, Angie  :naughty:

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 15:07:42 PM »
Thanks Roz and Desley.   

Yes Desley,  I do have a nice scale and have been weighing all kittens daily.   I keep a chart.   I'm comparing the second litter's weight to the first litter's weight chart just for some idea if they are doing about the same.  I'm finding that this second litter is much smaller, weighing less at the same age.  All of them have put on weight since I got them, but only slightly.  As long as I see some weight gain, then I'm taking it as a positive sign that I'm on the right track. 

Roz I am very careful about handling the kittens.  I always change my shirt and wash my hands before and after handling each litter. 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 07:35:52 AM »
Good on you for helping another litter - do you have some scales? You could do with weighing the kittens daily, and if they are not putting anything on, doing some supplementary feeds. Good luck with them.
Please spay your cat

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 07:31:53 AM »
Wow, Val, I can't keep up with you!  You really have got the bug!
What another gorgeous family you've got there - it looks like a proper Wee Silvie family!  My Silvie got her name cos she's a silver tabby (not the most original, I know, but it's the name she has from the CP and I couldn't think of a suitable alternative so it stayed!), although it looks like she's got more white bits than any of your new lot.
Got your work cut out there - when you're not feeding and playing with cats and kittens, you'll be in the shower doing your quarantine bit and swapping jumpers all the time!  Remember to look after yourself as well  :hug:
If I didn't have to work full time and had a slightly bigger house, I'd be doing exactly what you're doing - I'm jealous!  Really glad you're getting so much out of it though, and that you're allowing us to share!

• Senior Cat
  • Harper Boy
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 04:38:27 AM »
Thanks all very much for the advice. 

Hi Roz!  Good to see you here!

I bought some KMR 2nd stage which I'm using as a gruel per the directions on the container.  I also added the mixed formula and used it to moisten the Purina One kitten kibble.  I thought it would be big hit but even Momma Cat did not seem that impressed so, tomorrow Danuta, the lady who runs the rescue is bringing me some canned kitten food and some a/d as well.  I did manage to get the kittens to lap a little bit from a spoon filled with the KMR 2nd stage formula.   I guess I should not expect to much from such young kittens?  They are now 27 days old so maybe they aren't quite ready to lap from a saucer?  I've never done this before but I really am enjoying it so much.  The kittens are amazing and when I open the door to enter the room, they all run to greet me now.  It is so funny!  They are learning to climb and certainly make good use of my pant legs! lol  OUCH those little nails are sharp. lol

Also, two days ago, I took in a second Momma Cat and her 6 kittens!  I have them in a separate room of course.  This second litter is only 2 weeks old.  Their eyes just opened and their ears are just starting to unfold.  This second Momma Cat is really skinny.  She came from a cat hoarder in a sad situation and into the cat rescue with a litter of 6 kittens.  All but two of those kittens have died.  Sadly she was already pregnant again but the rescue did not know it until her tummy kept getting bigger and bigger.  Therefore this second Momma Cat is really worn down with having two litters of kittens back to back like that.  I agreed to take her so I could help build her back up and help syringe feed her kittens.  I'm feeding Momma Cat #2 four times a day with wet food mixed with the KMR also.  Tomorrow I will switch her to the a/d as well. Danuta is worried that she is not producing enough mother's milk to support this second litter.  They were born with no hair on their tummies but now have some peach fuzz growing.  They are a concern because they don't seem to be thriving.  *fingers crossed*

Here is a picture of the second Momma Cat and her 6 kittens.  She is enjoying a nice bowl of warm KMR conveniently placed near her so she won't have to get up and leave her kittens. 

« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 06:15:05 AM by HaneyHarperIndyMum (Val) »

Offline weesilvie

• Adult Cat
Re: 6 Foster Kittens with Momma ~ Momma sick
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2009, 22:54:50 PM »
Hey Val!
Meaty milkshake, mmmm  :sick:  :evillaugh:  Sounds like a really good idea though - probably wouldn't matter if you used wet or dry, as long as dry was properly soaked.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2009, 19:26:25 PM »
Aww havnt they grown, im glad you havnt been put off fostering  ;D
I also would wean them onto wet food, i make meaty milkshake  :sick:  with kmr and a/d, prepare for them to wade in it, bathe in it and generally make a hell of a mess, but its fun  ;D

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2009, 12:27:48 PM »
Wet food is easier and weaning is even more so! Mum should be on a good quality wet kitten food by now. I just allow the kittens to follow momma to the food bowl and leave them to it. Mom cat will call the kittens to her at meal times and will allow them to share. Just make sure that the dish is large and shallow and leave fresh water down in a shallow bol as well, so they learn to lap.

Some kittens are 4 weeks when they take that first step, some are nearer 6 weeks but I just let nature take its course, unless there are overriding issues such as the health of mum.

Deb
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2009, 09:51:18 AM »
What a lovely video, and such happy kittens, and the little white one is  :Luv:, well done for helping out with them.im sure there will be plenty more needing help in the future, i know its very easy to give in to temptation and keep your fosters but what you have to think is, will i still have room to help others in the future if i do, i know im a failed fosterer :doh:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2009, 09:18:47 AM »
I personally think kittens should be weaned onto wet kitten food and not dry. Good luck with them, and I am glad you are willing to keep helping her out.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat