Author Topic: cooking cod for sick cats?  (Read 13796 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: cooking cod for sick cats?
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 14:48:00 PM »
Winston has cod loin most saturdays and i just put it in the microwave for 2-3 mins and then flake it all up

I never knew cod had loins  :shocked:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 13:39:27 PM »
I have yet to meet a cat that doesn't go crazy gaga for tinned tuna. You can get it in spring water. I take my life in my own hands when opening a tin :evillaugh: Plus it is very smelly so good and enticing.

I think he would eat a bit of that or sardines in tomato sauce but he's not allowed them. They contain too much magnesium which could easily block his urinary tract again, so his kidneys would spike fatally. I have to give him chicken, which doesn't smell. I am going to try the tomato sauce in some cod (he is allowed a small amount of white fish). The thing is he is so conservative and I am offering him all kinds of stuff he's never eaten before (he won't eat his usual food).

If you poach the cod, how many minutes for a small bit in boiling water? (not a cook here: plus i never poach anything!). Then do you feed it whole or flake it? thanks

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 11:15:13 AM »
I poach it in water ... seems to work

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 11:13:24 AM »
I have yet to meet a cat that doesn't go crazy gaga for tinned tuna. You can get it in spring water. I take my life in my own hands when opening a tin :evillaugh: Plus it is very smelly so good and enticing.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2009, 23:16:14 PM »
thanks, lots of ideas there. I will try tomorrow. Vet said to wait and see if the laurabolin makes him eat cat food first. many thanks.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2009, 19:02:05 PM »
Winston has cod loin most saturdays and i just put it in the microwave for 2-3 mins and then flake it all up .
FiFi quite  liked weetabix with some warm milk when she had a tooth abcess and couldn''t eat her biscuits.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 15:44:50 PM »
I never knew that?  :shocked: And here's me not allowing them any cooked white!  :shy:

Stick with me kid - you'll learn everything you really didnt need to know LOL!  :evillaugh:

:rofl:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 14:44:51 PM »
Yeah especially back in the days before leg warmers were popular when you started the trend off via your black cats!  :evillaugh: :hug:

:naughty:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 14:42:12 PM »
I never knew that?  :shocked: And here's me not allowing them any cooked white!  :shy:

Stick with me kid - you'll learn everything you really didnt need to know LOL!  :evillaugh:

Yeah especially back in the days before leg warmers were popular when you started the trend off via your black cats!  :evillaugh: :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 14:37:43 PM »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 14:08:31 PM »
Dont use the white of the egg Kate as cats have difficulty breaking it down

Only a problem if raw, cooked is fine.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 14:05:20 PM »
Dont use the white of the egg Kate as cats have difficulty breaking it down

Only a problem if raw, cooked is fine.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 14:00:58 PM »
Dont use the white of the egg Kate as cats have difficulty breaking it down....The yolk is a brilliant food source! Maybe separate then poach the yolk!  ;) :hug:

Offline madasacatter

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 13:56:27 PM »
I have used fish regularly to tempt a poorly kitten or cat.  I poach it in filtered water in the microwave (medium setting or lower) and let them drink the water, which obviously rehydrates them, and makes them want to eat the fish.

Scrambled egg, I have tried about once or twice, unfortunately not as successfully as the fish, but use water and NOT any milk.  Take care not to make it cook hard and dry.
Coventry Cat Group

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 13:18:33 PM »
My cats have eaten cod bolied or grilled.  :)
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 13:15:15 PM »
what's the most palatable way to cook some cod for a sick cat that won't eat?

I also bought him eggs. Again sites say feed raw with the shell (he'll not eat that, I'm sure) or else maybe scrambled or hard boiled. Again, he's never eaten an egg in his life.

I'd just pop it in the microwave for a few minutes and then flake it. Or you can bake it in the oven for 10 mins or so. Eggs should be boiled or scrambled. Eggshells are actually a good source of calcium (and are used in people with kidney failure as a phosphate binder) I've used them as a phosphate binder for a couple of my kidney cats and they can be ground up really fine until almost like a powder - a coffee grinder works.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
cooking cod for sick cats?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 13:02:51 PM »
what's the most palatable way to cook some cod for a sick cat that won't eat? Various sites say don't cut up, feed raw, boil or bake..it's for Max, who has never had cod before so must be as tasty as possible.

I also bought him eggs. Again sites say feed raw with the shell (he'll not eat that, I'm sure) or else maybe scrambled or hard boiled. Again, he's never eaten an egg in his life.

thanks for any suggestions.

Link to CatChat