Author Topic: VET PRICES.  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: VET PRICES.
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 07:53:48 AM »
I had Zi's bloods done last night and paid £8.50 plus VAT for her blood taking, but they do have to pay for the bottles, needles and slides, as the test fee was to pay the lab. My vets have changed lab this year, so bloods aren't as expensive.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 02:18:32 AM »
Vets are certainly struggling but the huge mark-up on meds id just appalling....they know they can get away with it again cos the free prescription time has gine and they know we have no choice but pay them for the meds.

I should really look more closely at Misas bill from a 3 weeks ago, cos it was quite high for not much

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 18:53:43 PM »
My vets also charge a blood taking fee of £10, i assume this covers the disposable bits and bobs used. I dont mind really as the insurance pay it  :evillaugh:
At some point il look back at millys bill, i was amazed how it all added up so quick but i dont begrudge the vets fees, they have high overheads, expensive equipment and work long hours to provide me with a great service. I got evening and sunday phonecalls throughout millys illness and i know he starts early, who else would put in 12+ hours aday without wanting a reasonable wage!

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 15:23:41 PM »
how much is the ab jab out of interest Gillian, I paid £22 on monday for Star's

The cost of the actualy jab was £5.09 + VAT. Just checked, and I got charged £21.04 consult/tablet check for Sam and then £14.61 for Ben's consult! also see there was a charge (£15.00) for taking the blood too! Surely that shouldl come under the consult fee? The tests themselves are £55.00!

Offline Angeladeedah

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 15:18:06 PM »
I had my cat in to see the Cardiologist on Tuesday for his heart murmur - he was in from 9am and 1.30pm - the total bill £343!!  Thank goodness for insurance.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 14:41:09 PM »
I was told that one of the anti-b's Ollie got was only 20p  :shocked: This was because I asked how much did I have to pay and he said just leave it till next time as its only 20p  :shify: But vets bill was over £200!

His needle biopsy cost £115  :shocked: and the lab report £35 what the hell is going on  :tired:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 14:30:42 PM »
how much is the ab jab out of interest Gillian, I paid £22 on monday for Star's

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 14:27:20 PM »
I took Sam and Ben to the vets yesterday, thinking I'd probably be spending around £70 pounds ish - £150 later!!! Thats just one visit - Ben needs to be seen again and will likely need a dental after that. Mind you it did include blood tests, antitbiotic injection for Ben and tablets for Sam, but still....

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 12:07:04 PM »
My vet was charging in the region of £23 for 28 Zylkene and they were almost the same price for 100 on Vet Uk!  Scandalous really

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 11:32:57 AM »
It's absolute madness - I don't understand why the vets don't lower their prices slightly now they know people are aware of the vast mark up on their medications!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 09:56:16 AM »
It is ridiculous. My mum was quoted £48 by her vet for a Feliway plug in  :Crazy: - I got her one for about £18. The vet I use now is more reasonable. They charged me £8.50 for some Surolan yesterday which isn't much different to online prices. They also threw in a buster collar free.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
VET PRICES.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 09:45:12 AM »
One of our fosterer's wanted some Cosequin DS tablets, she asked the vets how much and was told £66 and a few pence (can't remember exactly) she rang me and asked me to order some if they were cheaper at Vet UK. Well I nearly fell of my chair; the price there is £28.93. Absolutely outrageous mark-up at the vets.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Link to CatChat