Author Topic: new cat's diet  (Read 4192 times)

Offline naboocat

• Adult Cat
Re: new cat's diet
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 10:35:31 AM »
Thanks for all the advice.
He had all dry food yesterday & it seems to have helped alot

I couldn't get to the shop to get any chicken yesterday but will try him with it today.

He's drinking plenty of water aswell so I'm not too worried now.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 17:23:35 PM »
 :welcome: great name by the way  ;D  have you any pics yet?
I second the chicken, rehoming can upset them but it sounds like he has had this the whole time so not rehoming related. Whiskas is a good cause of diarrhoea as its rich.
If the chicken/white fish diet works then slowly add in one food, felix pouches if you want easy food supply or read through the many threads on here about food and see what you want to try out.

If you havnt already id suggest getting insurance, the best one for older cats is with axa
www.axa.co.uk

I hope your experience hasnt put you off rescue cats  :hug:

Offline naboocat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 13:30:24 PM »
Hopefully Mark, but I am surprised the rescue didn't have him on a bland diet and homed him with diarrhea, especially with his age and the fact they hadn't had him for long.

I'm also surprised that they re-homed him without mentioning this to us either. I didn't realise he had a poorly tummy until we got him home.
He's also got an old leg injury that probably should have been x-rayed before being re-homed to find out what damage has been done. It's obviously been broken & healed at an odd angle.  It doesn't seem to cause him any pain but he limps a bit & his paw is very floppy.

I'll try the bland diet then so how he is on that.

He seems very happy in himself & has settled in right away, he's been cuddling up with the kids & has been playing with them as soon as he got here. He hasn't been at all nervous around us & when the kids went to bed last night he was wandering round the house looking for them & meowing. It just feels like he's always lived here  :Luv:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 12:34:45 PM »
Hopefully Mark, but I am surprised the rescue didn't have him on a bland diet and homed him with diarrhea, especially with his age and the fact they hadn't had him for long.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 12:14:19 PM »
Hopefully the upset stomach is just due to being in a new home - it must be quite bewildering for them?  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 11:54:14 AM »
I would be putting him on a bland chicken diet for a few days until your vet can see him - I would advise looking for a different vet if yours is only open one day though, not everything can wait for them to be there.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 11:52:23 AM »
My vet advises 2 weeks between doses - not all the time obviously but only if it hasn't worked the first time. I give mine Whiskas senior and Felix senior depending on what is on offer although I try to give them a mix so they don't get used to just one. I also give them a good quality dry. I have heard that gravy foods can upset stomach so jelly ones are better.

Felix senior is 3 for 2 in Paets at Home at the moment. They do 2 different boxes so gives 8 different flavours  :)
As for Whiskas senior, not many places include it in their offers but Sainsburys and Morrisons do - I keep an eye out for when it is 2 boxes for £5 and stock up.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 11:54:34 AM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline naboocat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 11:31:06 AM »
He was only wormed yesterday so it could be that, thanks for the tip. How soon would he need another dose?

The home were feeding him Whiskers Senior, our shop didn't sell that though so I just got normal whiskers for him yesterday.

He seems to be drinking ok, but I'll keep an eye on how much he's drinking.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 11:25:43 AM »
Usually the first thing a vet asked re diorreah (SP) is "has the cat been wormed?" - hopefully it has but sometimes cats need several doses 2 weeks apart if they have had a heavy load of worms  :sick:. Not supermarket ones as they are useless/dangerous. A good one from the vet such as milbemax is best. Another suggestion is to feed only fish & chicken with maybe some boiled rice mixed in (not all cats will it rice though) as has been said, keeping hydrated is the most important thing. Did the rescue say which food they give. Some cats can get it from something as simple as switching from Whiskas to felix. Royal Canin sensible 33 is a great sensitive diet but only OK if the cat is drinking plenty. Fish with the juice is a good way to get them to drink more - although only white fish, not rich oily fish like Salmon. I'm sure others can advise. Some cats are prone to it so its a case of trial & error with food. Have you given him milk as that is one of the worst things for upsetting stomachs - 2 of mine can't even have cat milk as it upsets them so I don't buy it any more - they are quite happy with water.

Just to add that diorreah can't be left too long without a vet - sepecially in warm weather. Hope it gets sorted soon  :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 11:08:01 AM »
You'll get a lot of replies to that question, Naboocat.  Many of us on here, myself included, favour a predominantly wet diet in order to ensure adequate fluid intake.  There are a number of high quality wet foods on the market - that is to say, foods with a high meat content.  But in this case, it's first finding something that Naboo will eat that settles his tummy a bit.  There are several people on here who will be able to advise on a bland diet for him in the short term.

I am not a vet and my response must be read in that context but if Naboo has been checked by the rescue's vet and found to be in reasonable health, it could be that his digestive system is still adjusting to a proper diet instead of the scraps and so on that he will have had to eat as a stray.  Nonetheless, I would be inclined to take him to my own vet, if I were you, to be on the safe side.  An overall check-up will do no harm, anyway.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline naboocat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 10:58:01 AM »
Thanks for the welcome.
We think he's called Naboo, haven't decided yet. Just seeing if it suits him before it sticks.

He has been checked by the rescue home's vet.
I didn't realise he had not been well until we got him home & read the vets record. They didn't mention anything when we visited & brought him home.  There's no comment on his vet record to say what might be causing the diarhea or what treatment he needs.

Our vet is only open on Wednesdays so if he's no better I'll take him for a check up. 

I gave him a choice of wet or dry food this morning & he ate the dry & ignored the wet so should I continue to give him dry instead of wet?

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 10:49:18 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, Naboocat: glad you found us and decided to join.  Well done also on adopting this needy little cat - is he called Naboo?

First things first: has he been checked by your vet?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline naboocat

• Adult Cat
new cat's diet
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 10:40:34 AM »
We got our first car, a 10year old cat rescue cat yesterday. He was found a stray so we don't know what diet he had before. The shelter had him for 2 weeks & he has had diahrea the whole time.

They've been giving him wet food so we have done the same. He had bad diahrea last night too (not in his litter box either  :sick:

Should I try giving him dry food to see if that helps?

Or any other suggestions on what might help?

Thanks

Link to CatChat