Author Topic: Applaws: suitable for kidney cats?  (Read 4852 times)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
Re: Applaws: suitable for kidney cats?
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 11:51:51 AM »
I'm not sure about suitability for a renal diet, as by its nature its supposed to be less protein, most of the renal foods are chicken flavour as opposed to actual chicken.

However, Max gets this is a treat occasionally, its my way of seeing if he's not hungry, or just not hungry for the food he's supposed to be having  :tired:

I think at the moment getting Max to eat some food is better than none at all, so if he's enjoying it, I'd indulge him  :Luv2:

You can always add phosperous binder powder to it to make it a little more 'renal appropriate'?

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 10:18:30 AM »
I don't think PAH staff are qualified to give nutritional advice. I think it would be fine as an odd treat. Willow loves the tins of hi-life fish (not the tuna imperial) so I mix a squirt of Renalzin in for her. I don't let her have it often as I'm not sure about potassium levels which are probably quite high.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 10:17:36 AM »
Gillian is quite right and Pets at Home staff should be advised that they are giving out incorrect information.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 00:39:31 AM »
I got a free tin of it and a small pkt of the biscuits when i got some water filters from ebay .
Winston ate some of it and Smartie had some of the biscuits -the next day Smartie was sick 3 times ( which is unusual for him ) then he was ok 3 days and then sick once - i am unsure if it was the biscuits !
I find mine prefer Almo nature pouches -zoo plus does those and theres a fair few flavours.
Hope Max picks up soon .
Will send healing vibes to him and Swampy  :hug: :hug:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 00:18:43 AM »
Applaws is definitely only complementary - not complete, so PAH are wrong to say that it could be fed as the main food, but if Max is having biscuits too, then it should be fine. It was all my Sam would eat for a while, and although I knew it wasnt complete, at least I knew he was eating something. I don't know about whether its suitable for cats with renal probs, I would say doubtful as it doesnt have the correct calc to phos ratios, so would think phos is quite high.

There are some other applaws combos - i.e. chicken and pumkin, chicken and cheese, and there are fishy versions.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
Applaws: suitable for kidney cats?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 23:15:19 PM »
As those of you who read the health thread know, I'm having a lot of trouble with Max and getting him to eat. He was eating i/d but now won't. Tonight I opened a tiny can of Applaws chicken breast and some of it (about 1/2 the tiny can) is all he's managed to eat since early afternoon. It says complementary on the tin but at PAH they told me they thought it was ok as a main food and was ok for kidney cats as is just chicken and rice.
Does anyone know and also does anyone have the nutritional info, no of calories, is it high in salt etc? Many thanks.

I also bought him some Hi Life tuna, which he's not supposed to have much of and today a pouch of Hi Life chicken. I don't know what and if he'll eat but would that work, maybe with relenza, which is the binder my vet wants us to use?

Are there other Applaws chicken or turkey tins? thanks.

Link to CatChat