Author Topic: Katalax vs Cod Liver Oil & Malt  (Read 4588 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Katalax vs Cod Liver Oil & Malt
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 20:11:30 PM »
And feeling it - yesterday the consultant said I was "getting on a bit" - I am 46, not 96!  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 19:38:33 PM »
Showing your age now  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 19:32:52 PM »
I didnt know its used to stop bleeding

It was in the sixties but I'm sure there are other things around now.  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 19:22:35 PM »
Yes its like a solid form, all comes from the same thing. I didnt know its used to stop bleeding, have had to administer what seemed like litres to a horse with colic.

I taste things too, synulox drops is like chalky banana, palatable to monkeys mabye but im yet to give it to a pleased cat!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 19:16:27 PM »
Is it like liquid paraffin? - when I was about 5, I went down a kids slide with a broom in my mouth and smashed the roof of my mouth. It was bleeding really badly and as they couldn't stitch it, they gave me liquid paraffin to stop it bleeding.

I have de-furrum ATM but it is really gloopy - I mainly use it for Willow as I put her fortekor in a pill crusher and mix it into the paste to rub into her front leg. The texture of Katalax is much better but a tiny tube for the money. I ordered some Bezo-pet today from VetUK to try = £7.75 for 70g - hopefully it will be more like katalax. It's made by vetoquinol so should be OK. I find some of them very syrupy as if they have sugar in (It tastes sweet - I always taste anything I give the cats  :evillaugh: )

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 19:07:26 PM »
WSP is a) for base and b) its what makes them go!! malt is for flavour and cod liver oil i guess as it gives a nice coat will help reduce moulting.
Used to use this in pharmacy as a base for many creams, was always a greasy mess  :sick:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Katalax vs Cod Liver Oil & Malt
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 09:22:37 AM »
Katalax 20g £12 from vets (or £7 online) Ingredients soft white paraffin, cod liver oil, malt
Cod Liver Oil & Malt 380grams £3.85 from boots  :-:

I wonder how much the white paraffin adds to the effectiveness?

I really don't see how thy can justify such a ridiculous price for cheap, simple ingredients?

Link to CatChat