Author Topic: Un-neutered tom question  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Un-neutered tom question
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 08:05:04 AM »
I would definitely do it first as the chances are, the "free to good home" type cats have probably never been to a vet so it would be a good chance to give him a once-over and get the first jabs done if need be and probably a dose of Strohold as well.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 08:00:33 AM »
I would defo do it first, the wee normally still smells for 2 weeks, although hopefully at that age it wont be too bad. I have Sophisticat Anti-Bacterial in for unneutered toms, it really does help with the smell.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 22:11:37 PM »
Be warned, Freddie was done about a week before he came to us and still sprayed for some weeks before he finally settled down  :-:

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2009, 20:52:09 PM »
If I was rescuing him I would try and bring him home via vets - prevent smells
I agree, they are still very smelly for a week or so afterwards so if she can get it done before she homes him, even better! Defo vets first before home though if the previous is not an option.
Hope he settles in well

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2009, 20:38:07 PM »
If I was rescuing him I would try and bring him home via vets - prevent smells

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 20:37:04 PM »
I would definitely get it done before or on his way home....He may as well go through it all at once...

The drop in his hormones will be giving him a feeling of contentment from the start.... ;D

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
Un-neutered tom question
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 20:33:43 PM »
My sister is looking at taking an un-neutered young (8mth) tom from a site that shall not be mentioned (not paying and encouraging unnecessary breeding, it's a free to good home one).  She's unsure as to whether it is best to take him straight to the vet to be chopped or whether she should take him home first to let him settle before doing the deed.

I initially thought the first would be the best of the two options but then wonder whether it may be to stressful for him - losing his bits and going to a new (and unfamiliar) home all in one day.  On the other hand the sooner he is done the better as he may be tempted to spray in a new home if he is still unneutered and I don't think she would appreciate that at all!!!!

Any thoughts?

Karen

Link to CatChat