Author Topic: Hi everyone, newbie here need advice ! Please  (Read 2220 times)

Offline TESSANN

• Kitten
Re: Hi everyone, newbie here need advice ! Please
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 08:47:36 AM »
Hi everyone,

thank you for your welcomes and replies.

Just wondered if there was any difference between Birmans and Ragdolls?

Take care all

Tessann x

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 23:40:23 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

Ummmmmmmmmm I have two birmans  :shify: :shify:

What do you want to know  ;D

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 21:37:20 PM »
 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 11:51:51 AM »
Hi and welcome,

Many breeders recommend indoor cats, but as long as you have a secure garden I can't see the problem with whichever cat you choose going outside as long as it doesnt roam.

One of my customers has always kept chickens, and didnt have any problems introducing her adult rescue cat to the chooks. The cat ignores them!  :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 09:45:44 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs

Hope you find the perfect cat, no idea about breeds either I'm afraid but I think with any cat the stumbling block might be your chickens.  Lots of cats get on fine with dogs but I would have thought for a cat not to be interested in a chicken they would have needed to be raised with the chickens from a youngster.  Do you know anybody else with chickens that has introduced an adult cat successfully?

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 14:49:40 PM »
Raggie rescues are unlikely to home as Raggies are not really streetwise and are therefore best kept as indoor cats - we have an exception in ours but we were her last resort after 4 homes in 18 months - she had never used a litter tray - she now uses the bidet!

We have 3 dogs - 1 jack Russell who thinks she is a cat and 2 Border collies aged 23 months and 7 months respectively - the Collies best friends are our feral cats now they have learnt not to try and round them up and both get full head cleans from Panther and raven - the cats impale their claws in to the dogs head and wash - both dogs lie there till they are finished!

We have a grand total opf 34 cats living with the dogs all are Moggies apart from our Raggie so can recommend Moggies - all our kittens have the dogs trained in a short time - impale dog, let out howl, dog gets chastised kitten gets treat!!!!

We also have several pheasants and a couple of Peacocks are back and the cats leave relatively well alson in the garden but do stalk if they are in the woods

Drop me a pm if you want more info on doggies and moggies! 

:welcome: from Liz, and the Clan Cats and Dogs
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 13:04:40 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, hope you find what you're looking for. I am 100% moggie here so will be little help in regard to peds but can honestly say that rescue moggies can be great with dogs and chickens and also enjoy the garden  :sneaky:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 12:28:21 PM »
 :welcome: Tessann, I have only ever adopted moggies but I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice on here
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 13:40:05 PM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 10:35:38 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs, Tessann, glad you found us and decided to join in.  We have a couple of members involved in ragdoll rescue, so I hope one or other of them will be along to give you some advice - and possibly help you find a furry friend  ;).
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline TESSANN

• Kitten
Hi everyone, newbie here need advice ! Please
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 10:00:24 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am new, I live in the Midlands, Leicester area, have two border collie dogs, Molly and Tessa (mother and daughter) and have four rescue chickens, Doris, Bramble, Priscilla and Pearl.

I love my animals and would like to have a cat and here is where I need your advice about suitable breed.  I have done some research and am looking at a Birman, Ragdoll, or Cymric.  I think by the temperament of the cats mentioned you will know what sort of cat I am looking for.

Can anyone recommend anything about these breeds, what's your experience etc, where did you get them from?

Any ideas/suggestions would be great.

One other question, I note Ragdolls are best kept indoors, but I would be keen for it to go into our relative smallish/medium garden to mix with the dogs and the hens - what do you think?

Best wishes

Tessann xxx

Link to CatChat