Author Topic: Lord knows I've tried  (Read 1823 times)

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
Re: Lord knows I've tried
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 19:40:33 PM »
Feliway diffusers can help, loads of happy pheromones, but saying that I had to rehome a cat that I had had for 9 years because when I changed partners, my new partner redecorated. This unsettled Pussmog so much she sprayed everywhere.  I still miss her, but someone in Cats Protection told me that she settled very happily with Fosterers. Sometimes we have to make hard decisions.
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 19:29:58 PM »
I hope it works out, at least you can still see him then  :hug:

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 19:28:37 PM »
Yes thats right MM, I think he really does need to be an only cat. My OH is going to ask his parents if they can take him, they have no other cats but do have a very old dog. Sad to say but the dog is on its last legs, she's blind and deaf, so we can keep Oliver here untill she passes. That sounds awful but its what were going to have to do if they can take her  :shy:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 19:50:00 PM »
First off have a urine sample checked out, he could have something going on and then you wont need to make the big decision. If not then it does sound like he and your others would be happier apart. I know where your comming from as i have the same problem with Dexter,i love him to bits but he cant stay here upsetting all the others  :(

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 11:09:07 AM »
Would that calm him down with my rabbits?

His spraying has only started since he's been going in the garden, so he is obviously marking with his scent. My cats dont do this and never have. I really dont want it to start them off also and to be honest its not very nice having a house stinking of cat pee.

I really feel he would benefit from being an only cat. My cats dont even come to bed for cuddles anymore because he is always there. Harry always sleeps on my bed but even he is starting to go else where now  :(

And of course I want my cats to feel like they can be around me whenever they want, not when they feel they can grap a few moments without Oliver there.

I feel I have done enough for him in terms of making him feel comfortable enough in a home setting, he has his confidence back being indoors and living with people, and also living with kids which he has never done before  :)

Its just times like this where you need to put your own first, and I want to spend more time with Ollie  :shy:

But if the big fella does go I will be sad but know its best for him really.  :shy:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 01:06:20 AM »
Have you tried feliway?

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 21:57:37 PM »
Oh dear thats the last thing you need at the moment, i think for your own piece of mind it might be better to find him a new home where he is the only cat and will get all the attention for himself ,but ultimately the decision will have to be yours,hope you can sort this out :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
Lord knows I've tried
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 21:49:55 PM »
Well its come of time I feel like Oliver MMP needs to be rehomed  :( I took this cat in off the streets, well actually he was living in his owners garden afraid to go into the house because of the dog!

So he came here on the 28th December and things have been going good, he's been venturing around the garden and house more, he comes at meal times and eats with my others. Also coming to bed every night for cuddles  :Luv2:

He's a really sweet cat and the reason I took him was because he is 11 and black and white, so I felt he may not have a chance of getting a home quickly and be stuck in rescue for quite some time.

And although he has been no bother here, gets on well with my cats and is ok with the kids etc, my kids are well trained  ;)

There is a but.........

Oliver has  for the past month or so been spraying all over my house, it's starting to stink of cat pee  :sick: I think the reason is because of my others, he is trying to mark his terrotry, although they dont fight and never have.  His owner said he has been neutered so this is obviously the reason for it. I also dont think this is fair on my cats as although they are fine with him, Im sure they dont want the "intruder" taking over their place. Ted is very much boss cat  :shy:

Oliver has also started to attack my rabbits  :scared: My rabbits have free range of the back garden, they always have done and I dont feel it would be fair on them to deny them this, not now when its what they are used to.

He will stalk them, then chase, then bop them. He's quite a big cat so I think he could cause them some damage if he wanted. My others dont bother the rabbits at all.

So Im in 2 minds here, I need to do whats best for all, my cats, Oliver and my bunns  :) But I really dont know what else I could try with Oliver, I think he needs to be in a home as an only cat  :(

Any thoughts?

Link to CatChat