Author Topic: gingivitis and fiv  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: gingivitis and fiv
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 08:41:47 AM »
yes she has never been allowed to roam free since I've had her - unfortunately she is my wet food resistant!  she really will only eat dry food - in fact the only thing I've ever seen her eat that wasn't royal canin was  a part of a prawn cracker!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 09:23:31 AM »
I would rather pay for a calici test than an FIV test, as calici is much more likely to be the cause of the problem if she has had negative tests. Calici is also more easily spread. Good luck. Have you tried Classic cat food for her, it has worked wonders for Sams mouth (suspected calici)
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 16:52:15 PM »
If i had one with reoccuring issues then i would probably test, not just for that but calici too, not that id change anything but just to know whats causing it. If you can rule some things out then theres sometimes options for other treatments.
Has she had a catproofed garden since you got her? If so then theres no point re doing as the rspca checked.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 14:23:51 PM »
yes I do tend to take them straight in, because I'm not home during the day I worry in case things go downhill rapidly - sadly my vet has no problem with me being a hypochondriac cat mum and charging the going rate!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 14:21:18 PM »
Me neither but as in my example would you take them in on the very first day if the eye looked watery?  I know I wouldn't but if it was still watering on day 2 or 3 I'd take them in.  My vet has asked me before 'is this the only reason you bought him in?' before only charging me £8 - he obviously felt sorry for the hypochondriac cat Mum!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 14:18:17 PM »
tbh I'm not one for seeing how things go away - I take them in for the stupidest things!  I once took Tlly in because I thought she had a bit of grass stuck in her throat!  vet thought I was a nut!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 14:12:23 PM »
I think I would want to know - at the moment if one of the boys had a runny eye I would probably leave it a few days to see if it improved, presuming they had just scratched it playing or something.  If I knew they were FIV I'd be down the vets on day one.  I wouldn't love them any less and I certainly wouldn't split them up if one was FIV and the other not but I think I'd just rather know.

Good luck for star when he has his op, hope it does thr trick  :luck:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 13:27:40 PM »
I don't think there's any merit in testing either.

I think deal with the problem in hand is a much better solution, as being FIV, or not, isn't going to change anything in the longrun  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 12:20:06 PM »
I'm going back tonight - they can take the teeth out but I will say no to the test

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 11:35:48 AM »
It seems to be the stock answer whenever there's a problem like gingivitis with a cat - test for FIV! can't see the reasoning behind it myself - its more likely to be associated with calici, and as you say, whats to be gained from testing?

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 10:26:50 AM »
I was going to suggest what CC has said about the meds....I bet loads of peeps already own fiv cats and are not even aware of it!  ;)

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 10:25:33 AM »
Maybe just to be sure they are treating her with the correct meds? Thats the only reason I could see. My Ollie was also tested and came back neg, not that it would of made any difference to my household as he was already mixed with my other cats.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
gingivitis and fiv
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 10:21:33 AM »
Star has problems with gingivitis - the vet wants to test her for fiv because she says the two are linked  - she was tested negative by the rspca before I got her but aside from that I don't really see what purpose it will serve knowing she has fiv or not - she has an enclosed garden so is no danger to outside cats, she has lived with my other three cats for coming on for four years now so its a bit late on their part and she always does and will receive prompt veterinary care - am I missing the point, is there really any reason to know if she has fiv or not?

Link to CatChat