Author Topic: A little advice please?  (Read 1433 times)

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
Re: A little advice please?
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 09:12:09 AM »
It will probably come with time. The Munchkin obviously had a bad experience with a man before he adopted us and is still a bit wary of OH but he will sit on his lap now and generally make a fuss of him. It took a good year though before he would.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 02:33:36 AM »
Think Dabs is absolutely right, however your OH must be prepared for a long haul cos cats have very long memories and my Misa is scared of certain things that remind him of his bad past and he runs for his life.

He had been with me quite a while and then I put on a hat and he truely scared me cos he sat back , bared his teeth, growled. flattened his ears and prepared to attack.

Sasa who I have had for over 3 years, I still cant touch although she will occasionally eat treats from my hand but if I make any move towards her she will run and its back to square one.

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 20:51:17 PM »
What the Oh needs to do is to ignore Taco intially. A cat likes to feel it is in control. Avoid eye contact with him as it will be seen as a threat. As the OH walks past Taco throw him a treat, do not talk to him or make eye contact.

Try it a few times and Taco will associate OH with treats and will come to expect it. Then OH can gradually step it up and start with making eye contact, talking to him etc. Wil take a few weeks, but don't let OH intiate any contact with Taco till he is ready as it could set it all back.
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
  • R.I.P Jasmine 12/12/06 - 23/12/07
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 20:27:57 PM »
my OH does get upset from time to time because he loves Taco to pieces, and it's so frustrating when you have a cat that you love who won't let you get near him  :(

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Loving mum to Holly, Tilly, Molly and Taco

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 20:22:44 PM »
He should take over some of your duties but not force his attention onto taco, if he was abused by a man then it will take a long time to gain trust or maybe he never will  :( it must be hard for your OH tho as it wasnt him that was mean  :hug:

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 18:13:06 PM »
He usually feeds the cats before he goes to work in the mornings. But i'll certainly get him to try giving taco treats. I certainly don't think Taco will disagree with that  :rofl:

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 17:55:34 PM »
It could just be one of those things, but there's always things to try!

Has your o/h tried feeding Taco, or giving titbits (i.e. bribary)  :evillaugh:

It can go a long way to trying to build trust.

Hope there is an answer  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Marcia

• Distinguished Cat
    • Pheonix-Gerbils
A little advice please?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 17:00:27 PM »
Taco doesn't like my other half. It's been like that since Taco first came to us over a year ago. He's not frightened but won't allow my bf to pick him up.

He will allow me to pick him up and stroke him etc and he follows me around the house everywhere yelling his head off.

Up until now, we assumed that Taco had been hurt or abused by a man previously but obviously we can't be 100% on that. Any ideas? Is there anything my bf can do to make Taco trust him and to realise that he won't hurt him?

Myspace Glitter Graphics

Link to CatChat