Author Topic: Vets, when they get it abit wrong re pregnancy in a cat  (Read 1568 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Vets, when they get it abit wrong re pregnancy in a cat
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 17:53:43 PM »
Or a poo  :evillaugh: :rofl:

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 12:18:02 PM »
Our vets all seem to offer to scan now for proof of pregnancy, don't know whats wrong with the old fashioned way off feeling - think it must be another skill lost to technology (and of course costs more!).

Even then a quick palpate of the abdomen is no assurance. The times I have been told to expect the patter of tiny paws for it to be wind or worms!  :rofl:
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 14:39:25 PM »
Our vets all seem to offer to scan now for proof of pregnancy, don't know whats wrong with the old fashioned way off feeling - think it must be another skill lost to technology (and of course costs more!).

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 19:44:32 PM »
Shows the importance of actually looking into a cats neuter status and not waiting for the inevitable to happen  :tired: a quick clip would expose a scar and if not then get them in. Guess im used to a proactive vet!
I hope the kittens will be ok  :(

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 09:30:47 AM »
Umm very interesting..  I advised she change the substrate in the litter tray to soil.. But the cat gets very distressed if she doesnt not get let out, and seems to always be returning to the kittens. However, this will not continue as we know that, when kittens are older she will probably venture further. I have advised them this as well and also told them that mums can still get preg while nursing kittens...

As for the vac, that something i had not thought about actually. I have advised she contact her vet and also read FAB articles on their website and have a word with their vet about this apparent major slip up. And of course she should seek vet advise if worried... It does seem they are taking note of things and they do have our contact details.. But so far luckily all seem well, but of course its worrying that such things were missed on a cat.. and for 2 vets and a vet nurse to all agree is perhaps somewhat appauling..

Will post if i get any more updates but fingers crossed...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 09:35:51 AM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 09:10:48 AM »
What an awful situation - I would advise them against letting her out though, at that age she shouldnt be hard to train to use a tray, she doesn't have to show signs of being in season to get pregnant, and what would they do if she went out and didnt come back - would they be able to handrear, or would you then have to step in?
Please spay your cat

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 08:59:18 AM »
Sharon I think the biggest worry is the fact that this cat has been vaccinated whilst pregnant,the kittens are lucky to be alive but stand a huge chance of being cerebral hypoplasia,this condition wont be obvious until around 3-4 weeks old.
I think this vet is appalling.
Hope all is well for mum and babies.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
Vets, when they get it abit wrong re pregnancy in a cat
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 07:40:28 AM »
Hi all this is just a thought really. Abit of background... I have been emailing a lovely couple who first contacted me in Feb about a stray puss that they found and eventually after several weeks of searching, leaflets etc, etc, decided to adopt themselves. They did all the right things, the cat being in their garden for some weeks but wanting to come in. In the end this long haired females was vet checked and checked for chip but to no avail. After around a month or so they decided to adopt and got her to the vets to be checked over again and also started on vac, chipped flea and womred as per our advise whenpeople taking on a new cat.. I remember telling them about signs of pregnancy and also to get in contact if she was at all worried... or suspected anything.

At this time the cat had been back to the vets four times seeng 2 different vets and a vet nurse, the vet isnt one we use ourselves much.. The last lot of vac where 2 wks ago where the vet commented the puss cat call Boo has put on abit of weight and needed to go on a diet.. But this time the couple who have never had cats before were getting abit anxious about things (as they thought she might be preg) but 2 vets and a nurse had convinced them otherwise.

So abit of a surprise when on Saturday this cat gave birth to 3 kittens!!! Which is exactly what they didnt want, both working full time. . Mum is not a cat that will use a litter tray so does at the moment go out to the loo, however i have warned them that if she starts to come into season again then some how this needs to be overcome as she may end up pregnant again which is the last thing they all want. The cat had been previously wormed and flead so if worms were expected she would of reduced in size if that was the case not got larger!! They also had a record of the cat since the couple decided to take on, so the noticeable difference in her appearance and weight must surely of been noticed...!!

So despite all our advise and warning to them (this cat was probably already preg when they took her on and hence didnt come into season) and them doing all the right things, and the vets getting it all wrong. This puss cat, who the vet aged around 9months has kittens... I suppose they were lucky there were no complications... However... if us rescues do our best to prevent unwanted litters, i just wonder if the vets where even listening to the owners.... Surely the weight gain was some thing two vets may of suspected as pregnancy on a young female stray with no background history... ! Which is exactly what we advised in emails to them, always think pregnant until proven overwise...

Anyhow, all are  wondering if a case could be made as to asking the vets to do the spay for free when the times comes...! Especially when they have been quoted (when she first arrived and had first check up at the vets) 88 for a spay...!!

What a palaver!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 09:38:34 AM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Link to CatChat