Author Topic: initial tests on rescued cats  (Read 2495 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: initial tests on rescued cats
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 18:24:02 PM »
Ah right.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 18:21:46 PM »
he'd been with them for a year, and I suspect the thought of losing him made them inclined to keep him anyway
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 18:15:28 PM »
I honestly wouldnt worry about FIV, the transmission rate is so low, and there is a 7% chance of a false positive. But if the fosterer is happy to keep him, maybe he wasn't the one for you, and there is another needy cat out there.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 18:08:12 PM »
he was positive for FIV - the fosterer didn't ask for lab confirmation, and they have already told the rescue he can live his life out with them, so it looks as if in a way they are glad about the result - never mind, for Socks it is perhaps best

I'll keep an eye out for another needy soul (but he had a lovely curly tummy :'()
Robert A. Heinlein:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 17:51:49 PM »
Yep, thats the book Mark.
Hope his vet visit went well Trigger
Please spay your cat

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 16:57:27 PM »
the fosterer did mention cataracts - so maybe something can be done - he seems a very contented and healthy cat at the moment, so there is no rush
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 16:33:39 PM »
It sounds like it was an untreated infection that probably could have been nipped in the bud by someone that took their cat to the vet when it needed it. I doubt something left like that can be reversed way down the line. The only thing I can think of that could is cataracts.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 16:15:30 PM »
I went to see Socks yesterday, and the fosters told me his original owners had told the rescuer that he had lost most of his sight through an eye infection, and that it might be reversable at enormous cost

anyway he is being taken to the local vet today, and I have asked for the vet to give an opinion on the cause of the blindness so I can be as honest as possible with AXA - and also to know if it is worth pursuing for a cure if he comes to me
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 15:58:11 PM »
There is a really good new book out, I dont know where you get it from though, as my vet lent me her copy.

Is it this? https://secure.lifelearn.co.uk/cgi-bin/store/bk052.html Would probably be good for rescues.

I remember my mum had to learn as she went along. One of the biggest sacrifices is the fact that they didn't have a holiday for 12 years as they couldn't leave Suki alone and wouldn't have trusted anyone with her (except me, but I didn't live nearby) I remember the day my mum found out. I was over visiting my mum and Suki was about 6 months old. She said that Suki had become clumsy and walked into things in the kitchen. I asked if she was sure Suki wasn't blind. She said it hadn't occurred to her. We were waving hands etc but couldn't be sure so my mum booked her in a the vets. They confirmed it. Something to do with her retinas detaching. It was a disease but no idea what it was  :(
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 17:36:50 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 09:57:51 AM »
FIV wouldnt be too much of a risk, it can only be passed on through a deep bite. I personally do full bloods with thyroid even though my vet says I dont need to do the thyroid, normal bloods will indicate if there is a thyroid issue, as it affects the liver readings, but my reasoning is that if they show it, and we need to test, they need more blood, so they might as well do everything in one go. The other thing I would ask to be tested, either that day or aftre you get him is blood pressure, as that is one of the reasons for blindness. Good luck, and good on you for considering an oldie with a disability. Have you done any reading on blind cats? There is a really good new book out, I dont know where you get it from though, as my vet lent me her copy.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 21:39:16 PM »
if he's FeLV or FIV positive he will be a threat to my two incumbents, especially Trigger who was exposed to FIP when young - but the rescue have assured me if Socks should turn out postive he will definitely not be pts - there is a very good chance he will be negative though

basic organ plus anything the vet thinks appropriate because of the blindness it is then
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 20:53:22 PM »
I wouldn't bother with FIV FeLV... what are you going to do if positive?  It's not like he's a threat to other puds, is he? :shy: And if he is positive, how are you going to insure him?  :tired:

I'd second wanting to know the cause behind the blindness. Just to rule out kidney problems which could be helped by meds. But the rule of thumb for me is that unless you are prepared to act on certain non- treatment needed results, why spend the money?  :sneaky: A basic organ function test should do it...  ;)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 17:19:08 PM »
this is a small local rescue, though, and the fosterer is actually the neighbour of the original owners, and not, I think, a regular fosterer in the usual sense

I definitely got the impression he is not familar with the world of tests at all, though the lady who runs the rescue is, and she approves of the checking - I'm meeting him Tuesday, anyway, and will try to be on my best,  non-pushy, behaviour  8)

let's hope Socks thinks I'm the real deal
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 16:05:43 PM »
I would think anyone homing a cat would favour someone who is willing and able to do things like blood tests.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 15:43:08 PM »
thanks for the advice - I will suggest I accompany fosterer to the vets if that's OK with him - otherwise I will tell him to give my phone number to his vet and they can ring me if necessary

I think he has the last say on who homes Socks, so I mustn't be too pushy :-[
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 14:48:41 PM »
Can you ring them up in advance and ask to speak to a nurse, to clarify exactly what they call things and how much they cost?  When my beloved Sooty (RIP) had the full works done it was about £130 but Milly here had the basic panel (just normal stuff like red/white counts, liver, kidney function - no thyroid or more detailed tests) done last year and it was about £40, so it's probably best that you speak to someone first to clarify exactly what is what and how much it costs.  It may be that you're advised to have the basic panel done and only to have follow-up tests if there is anything out of kilter on the basic stuff. 

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 14:15:30 PM »
if I ask for a full blood panel plus hyperthyroid, will this be understood by the vet without being specific?

I won't be there, unfortunately, as the fosterer will be taking Socks to the vet, so I need to be sure what I ask him to request will be understood, as he will not be able to elucidiate further

I reckon £50 or more spent now may well save me and the cat a lot of trouble in the future - but I would be cross if the chance is missed to do all the tests that might help

and I particularly don't want to be lugging him off to my vet a short time after he arrives here - much less stressful to have the current vet do all the tests - boosters are also due now, I believe
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 14:06:15 PM »
Yeah I'd agree with a full blood panel if you can stretch to the cost - even if it doesn't show anything, it gives a benchmark that can be used for your vet to refer back to in the event of blood tests in the future - can be very useful for them to at least know when something hadn't started, and what a 'normal' reading is for this kitty.  An older full blood panel probably also includes thyroid test; if it doesn't, it's probably worth having this tested for too as the earlier thyroid problems are caught the easier they seem to be to deal with. 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 13:26:28 PM »
If you don't know the cats history and can manage it, I think it would be worthwhile getting full blood tests which AFAIK costs around £50. I know a lot of people recommend giving any cats a senior blood panel age of 10. Do you know what caused the blindness? - probably a good idea to check for any problems such as CRF or any other early-stage illnesses that could possibly be helped with diet.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
initial tests on rescued cats
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 13:20:05 PM »
I am probably going to rehome a blind cat, around 9 years of age, if he passes the FIV and FeLV tests - I shall be paying whatever the result

while blood tests are being done, I am wondering if it would be a good idea to have tests for other diseases, given his age - I will only say no if he is FIV or FeLV positive, but it might be useful to know at the outset of anything I should look out for, with regard to diet for instance

I have only had kittens before, so have not had to deal with this - can members recommend what tests might be useful?
Robert A. Heinlein:

Link to CatChat