Author Topic: Disruptive cat  (Read 1846 times)

Offline Tim4172

• Kitten
Re: Disruptive cat
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 16:22:46 PM »
I will feel bad taking him away from somewhere that he seems happy, even though I know he will be going to a good home. I know animal rescue places are great, and he'll only go to a place with a non-destruct policy. If he was the only cat here I'd happily keep him.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 22:56:38 PM »
So sad to hear about your vistor and hope he can get a new home, maybe CP would let him be rehomed from yopur house so that he doesnt have to go into a cage?

I also have a visitor who I call Trevor and he is an older kitten and used to come in thro the flap everynight but recently he only is coming occasionally, he is scared of me though and am hoping he has a home and maybe has been neutered now cos he has caused a stink in my kitchen!

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 18:11:43 PM »
He is likely to only be peeing in the house because he is stressed by the other cats. They may also start doing the same thing if you don't act soon. Unhappy multi-cat households cause all sorts of behaviour problems and chasing him/punishing him for innapropriate urination really will only make the situation worse. Also by any chance is he entire?
Why would you feel like a swine? I can only assume you have the wrong idea about cat rescues which are absolutely fabulous places which will only help him to find the perfect home for him. Just contact CP or another rescue with a non-destruct policy.

Offline Tim4172

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 18:01:48 PM »
He only gets chased when we catch him peeing or attacking the other cats, but you are quite right, if it turns out he isn't microchipped then it would be fairer to get him a new home. That won't stop me feeling like a right swine though.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 16:56:51 PM »
If you have let him live indoors with you it doesnt seem fair to suddenly start chasing him because he wont understand what he has done wrong!  If he isnt microchipped then it would definately be fairer to find him a new forever home.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Tim4172

• Kitten
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 14:41:36 PM »
At the minute he's living with us in the house, and I would have no hesitation in keeping him if he would just get on with the other cats and stop peeing everywhere. I hadn't thought of having him checked for a microchip, but it's a good idea, and I'll do that after the holidays. I think he probably will end up going to the cats home, and I've no doubt someone will take him, because he is a really good natured and affectionate cat - towards humans at any rate!

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 13:48:09 PM »
I agree with Debsymiller - in the long run it's far better for the cat to spend a short time in rescue and then have a loving, permanent home, than it is constantly wandering, never really having anywhere safe, warm and dry to settle and sleep, a regular source of food and of course veterinary attention when poorly.  As he's upsetting your own cats so much it does sound as if you're unable to offer him this in the long term and shutting him out puts his future firmly back in the lap of the gods.  He is honestly much better off going to a good cat rescue than being left.  Has he ever been scanned for a microchip?  If he is neutered then there's a possibility that he is a long term stray with an owner that has actually given up hope.

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 13:36:16 PM »
If he's not living inside with you as part of the family, he would honestly be better to go to a local rescue who can find him a nice forever home.

Offline Tim4172

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 13:21:21 PM »
Yes he has a home - ours! We first encountered him a few years ago and he hung around for a while but never made a nuisance of himself. Then he disappeared for well over a year before turning up again. I'm assuming he belonged to someone local, but enquiries have proved fruitless. I'm going to try and keep him out of the house over Easter and hope that he might head off elsewhere to look for food, but if that doesn't work we may just have to contact our nearest cats home, although I really don't want to do that. I've asked around friends and family, but no-one seems to want a cat at the moment. I appreciate all the advice given and will let you know how I get on. Thanks!

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 13:15:38 PM »
Hi there

lots of good advice here, I wouldn't try and get rid because the poor thing is determined to find a home by the sounds of things.  I have a similar prob atm although the cat in question is not pestering just rarely visits!  what I would do/have done is contact my local CP to see whether a cat of that description has been reported lost, as Debs says attached a paper collar then if no luck get him homed your local CP should help with this, best of luck.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 12:43:46 PM »
An expensive option, but how about investing in a microchip reading cat flap?  Google 'pet porte' and you should find it.  If both your cats are microchipped with a standard uk chip (and if not, I'd highly recommend it anyway!) then you can buy a catflap that works on their chip - so ensuring that the other cat will not be able to get into your house.  There are cheaper options such as those that work from either a magnet or a unique tag, but the down side of these is that if your cat loses its collar, it will be stuck outside and unable to get in - at least the microchip is permanently implanted! 

It won't help with problems outdoors (although the cat may buzz off elsewhere if he can no longer get into your house) but at least it will ensure that your own kitties won't live in fear inside their own house. 

It does sound though as if he may be lost and is trying to set himself up at yours as 'home', so maybe the best thing would be to contact CPL or a similar local rescue with a non-destruct policy, so that he can be found a nice settled home where he won't stress out your animals and he can be permanently settled and happy himself.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 12:45:50 PM by fluffybunny »

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 12:28:30 PM »
Can I just add we have a similar thing at the mo with a cat who tried to get in the flap most days but gets a lot of grumbles from ours so doesn't actually come in. We noticed the other day he is injured with a bad leg so have put a trap down for him... of course, he hasn't been round since I put it down!!!

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 12:25:27 PM »
Contact your local CP who can advertise him as a 'found cat'. They will probably suggest that you attach a paper collar to him saying 'this cat has been reported stray, if he belongs to you please call this number' the idea being if you get a call you can discuss the problem and hopefully find a solution between you and if you haven't heard in a week or so it probably means you have a stray cat. Also putting food outside in a set space will mean he will go there for food rather than stealing your poor pud's food.
If he hasn't been 'found' by his owners in 2 weeks then your local CP should take him in and find him a home.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 11:36:16 AM »
does he have a home?

Offline Tim4172

• Kitten
Disruptive cat
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 11:27:17 AM »
Hello! I’m hoping that someone can help me with a cat problem that I’m having. We have had two cats, brother and sister, since birth 11 years ago. Last year another male cat started visiting our house and would come in through the cat flap and help himself to our cat’s food. It turned out he’s a very friendly cat (towards us anyway) so we didn’t worry too much. However, after a while we noticed the behaviour of our female cat had changed. She used to go outside to go to the toilet, but when she went out the new cat would chase and attack her. This led to her starting to go to the toilet inside so we had to get a litter tray.
We can deal with that ok, even though it can be messy on occasions. The problem is that the new cat will stalk and attack her in the house, so she gets no peace at all. Also the new cat has a terrible habit of peeing round the house, and although he’s neutered, so it doesn’t stink, it’s something I really hate. He peed on our LCD TV in the kitchen, which has got inside and has ruined the screen. He fights with our male cat and is just generally upsetting the peace in the house.
I’ve tried locking the cat flap to keep him out, but he gets in through a window, or when someone opens a door. In fact, he’s so strong he’s actually broken through the locked cat flap. I’ve tried chasing him away with a water pistol, but he just keeps coming back. I’m at the end of my tether now, but don’t know how to get rid of him. I have thought about taking him to the cat home, but he’s so friendly and affectionate I’d feel awful doing that. He’s a lovely cat and would make someone a nice pet, but he just doesn’t fit into our household.
If anyone has an idea about how I can get rid of him I’d be grateful. I’ve tried blocking our cat flap, but our male cat needs to be able to come and go when we’re at work, so that’s not really an option. If I could manage to keep him out for a while and make sure he didn’t get fed, would he maybe go somewhere else, or is that just wishful thinking?
Any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Link to CatChat