Author Topic: Found - black semi-longhaired cat in Wantage  (Read 4924 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: Found - black semi-longhaired cat in Wantage
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 15:12:26 PM »
oh dear, she is lucky to have you helping her  :)

I second that!  :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 13:09:53 PM »
oh dear, she is lucky to have you helping her  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline chrisleitz

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 12:54:58 PM »
So far, nobody has come forward for her and to top it, she is pregnant.  I now think that she has been dumped.  We have called her Purrdy and she is being taken good care off.  Once she has had her kittens, she will be spayed and we will find a good home for her and her babies.
Best wishes, Chris, Samson, Buddie and Pepper

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 17:58:38 PM »
As well as above leaflet leaflet and leaflet again.     

As Sam has said thank youfor caring about this little one as somewhere there is an owner going out their mind.    When my guys have gone missing it would have helped so much to know that they were being looked after by someone like you  :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 15:57:15 PM »
Thanks for caring about this little one.

Here is a list of things to do...

Please check out the following list of missing kitties from the national pet register - it is worth keeping an eye on the listing in case he appears in the next few days:

http://www.nationalpetregister.org/missing-cats/

Advice Cats Protection gives out when people think they have found a cat (some may be helpful to you).

If you have a cat living with you or visiting and think is either lost, abandoned, the owner has moved and left it behind, or appears to be just roaming around, sadly all too common and to think the cats/s was the result of someone’s so called good home, or you know of anyone else with such a cat DO NOT ASSUME IT HAS NO OWNER (OR ASSUME IT HAS), PLEASE REPORT IT TO AS MANY RESCUES AS POSSIBLE IMMEDIATELY (see:- http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html) for some in your area.

EVEN IF IT LOOKS IN PERFECT HEALTH, PLEASE THINK HOW YOU WOULD FEEL IF YOU LOST YOUR CAT AND SOMEONE DID NOT BOTHER TO REPORT IT. It may simply be lost and could have been lost months previously. It is not unknown for cats to get into cars, removal vans, and so on, and be transported miles from their homes. Rescues have hundreds of cats on their lost/found register and the number increases on a daily basis. Most of the cats who go missing must be out there somewhere and, although we do manage to reunite quite a few with their owners, most of them are taken in or being fed by well meaning people, but are never actually reported. Depending on the condition of the cat and the safety of the location rescues can decide what course of action to take to ensure the cat receives all the help it needs. E.G. if the cat is well please your local rescues and ask them to check the lost list, take the cat to a vet to see if has been micro chipped.

If there is no record and the cat is well and not in a dangerous location perhaps you could on a long thin piece of paper write do I belong to you and your telephone number then attach the paper to a cat collar by wrapping sellotape round and round then put the collar on the cat if after 3 days you have received no reply take the collar off as many are considered dangerous and many cats have lost their life to them. Safer paper collars are available free from Cats Protection. Ring the local rescues and ask them to put the cat on the list waiting to come in. Please offer the cat shelter & feed it, I know some organizations say don't and they it will move on, however in our view that is callous, I am sure if you lost a pet it would be nice to think someone, somewhere was caring for it.

Also the cat has a greater chance of finding its owner or coming into care and finding a new permanent home, as it is not roaming from street to street looking for its next meal and endangering its life. If the cat appears below par please contact a local rescue immediately and ask if they will pay for the cat to be seen by a vet and if possible take the cat in.

So many people place a notice in a shop saying ‘FOUND’ etc, please remember that if the cat is going home even if only once a week as far as the owner is concerned they have not lost it so may not realise you are talking about their cat.

If the cat is timid and you cannot catch it most rescues have traps, at least then the little one can be taken to the vets to scan, have a MOT, flea and worm treatment etc, if unneutered Cats Protection can give vouchers for the cost. If feral you could ask rescues to try to find suitable homes for them. Although many cats people call feral are in fact what I call garden cats and that is cats that were once domesticated but then let down by society, these cats usually tame down very quickly once in a home.

Also check out
http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html Sheffield Hallam is now once again operative and their no is 01142 493330
www.animalsearchuk.com
http://www.lostcatsbrighton.org.uk/html/advice.html
purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php
mymoggy.com/
thehovel.com/bb/index.php
nationalpetregister.org
petsearchuk.co.uk/lost_and_found_pets.php
amissingpet.co.uk/lostandfound.html
animalsearchuk.com/
pet-rescue.org.uk/forums/index.php?showforum=447
animalrescuers.co.uk/html/lostfound.html
foundandlostpets.co.uk/
freewebs.com/pettalk/missingpetsbulletinboard.htm
petsmiles.com/v1/found.php
Also don't forget to check ad websites, such as.....
friday-ad.co.uk
adtrader.co.uk
uk.freeads.net
classifieds.co.uk
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline chrisleitz

• Senior Cat
Found - black semi-longhaired cat in Wantage
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 14:15:48 PM »
One of my neighbours is feeding a young semi-longhaired black cat for the past 2 weeks.  She is very friendly and laid back.  She is completely black with a fluffy tail and I think she also has more than the usual number of toes (will have to have a better look next time I see her but I counted 6).  We (Oxford CP) haven't got space at the moment to take her in.  She is not microchipped and the vet thinks she is approx. 2 years.  The way she behaves she is definitely someones pet.  For the time being she is safe at my neighbours house being fed and looked after.  I have looked through the Nat Pet Register and MyMoggie but no success.  None of the Vets in Wantage have her listed as missing.  Neighbour has been round all the houses in the neighbourhood to see if someone has lost the little girl.  Is there anything else I can try?
Best wishes, Chris, Samson, Buddie and Pepper

Link to CatChat