• MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
Re: STRAY
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 15:49:01 PM »
Beutiful picture
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Susieh

• Adult Cat
Re: STRAY
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 12:55:29 PM »
This reminds me of when I was a young teenager.  I had a cat and dog but was forever on the lookout for strays (much to the annoyance of my family who were very animal indifferent) and realised that a kitten (5 month old male) had been left behind a few doors down when the family moved away.  So I started taking food over to his house (he was living in the shed with a hole in the door) twice a day and it wasn't long before he realised where I was coming from and started waiting outside my house.  My parents refused to let him in and I wasn't able to convince them.  It was December and very cold.  I put out a sturdy box and hot water bottle every night for him to sleep in.  It wasn't until it was Christmas day that I persuaded my parents to let me let him inside.  He was so happy, he just slept for hours, tried to cuddle my dog and although he did a poo on my bed  :shy: he didn't know any better, bless him.  Once I was sure my parents were not going to let me keep him (you should have seen the years of battle about my own cat and dog) then I persuaded them that the best thing was for him to go to a rescue and although I tried to phone previously myself, the rescue wouldn't believe me and come out for the cat, so my mum finally rang and he was picked up, neutered and rehomed with a week.

My point is that I tried my very best to get him the help he needed but because of my age I wasn't listened to.  The timescale was probably 6 weeks before he ended up in rescue and by that time he had picked up cat flu from somewhere and obviously had fleas etc.  He wasn't quite at sexual maturity but it was a matter of weeks before he would have been capable of getting other cats pregnant.  I did all I could for him and I hope that he had a great and long life.  This was at least 14 years ago now and here is a picture of him befriending my now passed away dog.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
STRAY
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 08:48:46 AM »
Last night well after 10 o'clock from someone who said they had been feeding a stray for 18 months and the night before it had come in covered in oil what was I going to do.  Firstly they did not live in our catchment area so obviously I did give them the number they needed to ring. But why did they leave it over 24 hours? Also it mad me know why we give the info below on our lost and found page.

IF YOU FIND A CAT
If you have a cat living with you and think is either lost, abandoned, the owner has moved and left it behind (sadly all too common and to think the cats/s was the result of someone’s so called good home, or you know of anyone else with such a cat  DO NOT ASSUME IT HAS NO OWNER (OR ASSUME IT HAS), PLEASE REPORT IT TO US IMMEDIATELY,  whatever state it may be in. It may simply be lost and could have been lost months previously. It is not unknown for cats to get into cars, removal vans, and so on, and be transported miles from their homes. We have hundreds of lost cats on our Lost and Found Register and the number increases on a daily basis.  Most of the cats who go missing must be out there somewhere and, although we do manage to reunite quite a few with their owners, most of them are taken in or being fed by well meaning people, but are never actually reported., depending on the condition of the cat and the safety of the location we can decide what course of action to take to ensure the cat receives all the help it needs.  E.G. if the cat is well please ring our lost & found xxxxx xxxxxx take the cat to a vet to see if has been micro chipped, alternatively if you live near some of our fosterers (5 have microchip readers) they will do it for you. If there is no record perhaps you could on a long thin piece of paper write do I belong to you and your telephone number then attach the paper to a cat collar by wrapping sellotape round and round then put the collar on the cat if after 3 days you have received no reply take the collar off as they are considered dangerous and many cats have lost their life to them, ring us and we will put the cat on the list waiting to come in. If you ring Elaine xxxxx xxxxxx she will supply you with a paper collar which is very safe.  PLEASE OFFER THE CAT SHELTER &  FEED IT, I KNOW SOME ORGANIZATIONS SAY DON'T AND THEY IT WILL MOVE ON, HOWEVER IN OUR VIEW THAT IS CALLOUS, I AM SURE IF YOU LOST A PET IT WOULD BE NICE TO THINK SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE WAS CARING FOR IT. ALSO THE CAT HAS A GREATER CHANCE OF FINDING ITS OWNER  OR COMING INTO CARE AS IT IS NOT ROAMING FROM STREET TO STREET LOOKING FOR ITS NEXT MEAL AND ENDANGERING ITS LIFE. We also suggest that you ring the Cats Protection Headquarters shelter in Derby  01433 824950  between 11 am & 3 pm   any day and put the cat/s on their list of cats waiting to come in, as a shelter they usually home much quicker than us therefore spaces become available more frequently.  If the cat appears below par PLEASE  contact us immediately and we will pay for the cat to be seen by a vet and if possible bring the cat in.
Also contact PET SEARCH UK 01246 629873
If you have internet access or perhaps a friend can do it for you I suggest you also post the details on Pet Finder Online Admin
Some of you will already know how distressing it is to lose a cat, and others can imagine. There is nothing worse than not knowing what has happened to your pet - the imagination works over-time. How would you feel if someone in the next village, or on the next estate, found your cat, and kept it without every reporting it?
If the cat is a garden cat or feral please ring us immediately and we will arrange for it to be trapped, neutered/spayed, have an MOT, flea & worm treatment we will then if at all possible return it to site if arrangements can be made for feeding etc fostered we will try to find it a new home
PLEASE DON’T LEAVE IT UNTIL IT IS ILL/INJURED OR YOU FEEL THAT YOU HAVE FED IT LONG ENOUGH BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO TAKE ANY ACTION, BECAUSE WE ALWAYS HAVE  A LOT OF CATS WAITING TO COME IN.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Link to CatChat