Author Topic: Take action against inhumane ritual slaughtering in UK  (Read 10825 times)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
Re: Take action against inhumane ritual slaughtering in UK
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2009, 18:37:51 PM »
:rofl:clearly I pay attention to political figures!!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2009, 09:53:30 AM »
The key point in Ms. Benn's reply was that we must respect the rights of minorities to practice their religious rites.

We pick and choose which religious rites we permit, of course, so I do find that argument disingenuous.  They should just confess to appeasement and be done with it.

Very well done to you for your actions  :Luv: :hug:

BTW, Hilary Benn (Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs) is a bloke (he's Tony Benn's son).
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 19:45:10 PM »
Christine,

You will be pleased (I hope) to hear that I wrote to my MP soon after you started this thread and I received a reply stating that my MP would be taking it further. I received 2 weeks ago another letter from my MP with a copy of her letter to Hilary Benn, and Ms. Benn's reply which to say the least was not that positive. The key point in Ms. Benn's reply was that we must respect the rights of minorities to practice their religious rites. My MP stated that she would continue to fight against such a viewpoint, which I for one am pleased with.

I wrote back and asked her to be forceful in her actions since animals right are just as important as human rights. What defines us as humans from animals is our ability to communicate as the voice of those less able to speak for themselves, be they human or not.

I am yet to receive a reply, however, I am penning a letter to our local paper which I am sure will prompt a vocal response since a large portion of the community is Muslim.  I expect my MP will be contacted for comment.

My street must keep my MP busy, my neighbour and I discovered we each write to our MP often!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 16:39:14 PM »
well the person from the muslim council of britain indicated that some stunning did happen but not to the same extent, although I did have my doubts I hope that the debate does carry on ,although I do think that political correctness will probably win the day there is no harm in trying

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 16:27:39 PM »
it was debated on a lunchtime programme on radio 4 about a year ago Christine - the outcome was that we are all wrong

That's not an outcome, that's one viewpoint in an ongoing debate.

it is entirely humane - not sure how you can argue against that!

The evidence shows that slaughter without pre-stunning undoubtedly means a far greater ‘degree of pain, suffering and distress which does not occur in the properly stunned animal’.  Farm Animal Welfare Council (1985) Report on the Welfare of Livestock when Slaughtered by Religious Methods. London: HMSO quoted in Response from the British Humanist Association to the Defra consultation on ‘the proposal for a Council regulation on the protection of animals at the time of killing’, April 2009.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 15:52:59 PM »
it was debated on a lunchtime programme on radio 4 about a year ago Christine - the outcome was that we are all wrong and it is entirely humane - not sure how you can argue against that!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 15:45:18 PM »
Just to report that The Grocer did, last week, publish a reply to my letter - from Shimon Cohen of Shechita UK.  I'm sure I don't need to relay the burden of his message.

However an excellent reply to him was published on Saturday from Peter Stevenson, Chief Policy Officer of Compassion in World Farming  :)

I am pleased because the more this matter is debated, the more people are caused to reflect about it and the closer we come to the inevitable future ban on these atavistic practices.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 13:54:01 PM »
well put Christine - I'd be interested to hear if you have any comments

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 13:53:09 PM »
I had a letter published in The Grocer on Saturday:

Sir,

Your feature on halal butchery (The Grocer, 6 June, p44) made uncomfortable reading.

Pre-stunning of animals is mandated by law to reduce their suffering but at present exemption is given to halal and shechita slaughter practices. However the origins of these practices far predate our modern science-based understanding of animals’ suffering and physical pain. 

While it is important to afford freedom of conscience to people, a Muslim or Jew committed to the ancient commandments of their religion is free to abstain entirely from meat: in the 21st century slaughtering should be humane and cause the least suffering and pain possible.

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 19:03:51 PM »
i received a letter from my MP today:

Thank you for your email dated 23rd May.

I appreciate your concerns for animal welfare during slaughter and i have now written a letter to Rt Hon Hilary Benn MP, secretary of state at the department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.  i will contact you again once i receive a reply

Yours sincerely

Andrew Pelling MP
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2009, 19:35:00 PM »
I forgot I meant to quote the letter I received last week from my MP:-

Further to my letter of 17th April 2009, I am writing again as I have now received a reply from DEFRA in response to your representatons concerning the religious slaughter of animals. I enclose a copy of the minister's letter.

I appreciate that you will find her comments disappointing as it appears that while the Government would prefer all animals to be stunned before slaughter it will not seek a change in the law in this area.  It would seem that the matter has been considered but that the Government remains of the view that the right of religious communities to practice their religious beliefs must be respected.

I am sorry that this reply is disappointing.  I remain grateful that you have brought this matter to my attention.

Yours sincerely,

This is the attached letter:-

Thank you for your letter of 17 April enclosing a copy an email fromy our constituent (my details) about religious slaughter.

When the 2003 Farm Animal Welfare Council Report (FAWC) on the Welfare of Red Meat Animals at Slaughter was published, the recommendations on religious slaughter attracted consierable comment.  The Government considered these views carefully before publishing its response. This acknowledged the benefits of stunning but confirmed that the Government did not intend to ban the slaughter of animals without prior stunning by religious groups.

This remains our position.  While the Govenment would prefer to see all animals stunned before slaughter, it does respect the right of religious communites to practice their religious beliefs and to eat meat slaughtered in accordance with religious rtes.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 16:39:09 PM »
Received a "House of Commons" letter from my MP today. Too long to type verbatim but basically saying we should not ban ritual killing as this would show religious intolerance. We should however encourage stunning animals beforehand 
I had exactly the same from my MP this last week. GGrrrr! This was from the idiot who also wrote to me saying that he could not support using tax payers money to buy a microchip scanner. I later find out that he happily used tax payers money to get a second property though... when he lives in Reigate which is less than an hour away from London!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I seriously have such a bee in my bonnet about this man and while I am off this week, I will be writing to him to tell him exactly what I think of him!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, 16:34:29 PM »
I had a reply from my own MP this morning.  It's fair to characterise it as broadly sympathetic, I think, but he also proffers the 'religious tolerance' argument.  As an atheist and a humanist, I replied thus:

Thank you for your letter dated 21 May 2009 in response to my correspondence concerning the derogations afforded to shechita and halal slaughter practices.

As you rightly remark, ‘tolerance of minorities and their freedom to pursue activities that we do not necessarily agree with is a fundamental principle underpinning our liberal democratic traditions’.  Another such fundamental principle is abhorrence – and proscription – of gratuitous cruelty.  Slaughter without pre-stunning is an atavistic practice the origins of which far predate our modern science-based understanding of animals’ emotions and physical pain.

I fully appreciate that an elected representative is subject to a range of arguments and pressures from disparate sources, including those of religious groups.  But we do not tolerate other traditions, such as child marriage and female genital mutilation, that are in contravention of our moral consensus, nor do we engage in persuasion: we enforce compliance. 

May I urge you to reflect further on this issue?

Kind regards

[My full contact details]

Another thing I urge is that members who feel strongly about this write to their own MPs.  Please...

Edited for spelling
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 16:35:57 PM by Christine (Blip) »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 20:53:29 PM »
I agree but we are talking of someone here who approves of fox hunting  :tired:

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Yes, but it is by rational argument that we shall win.  And we shall.  Please reply to him  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 20:07:55 PM »
I agree but we are talking of someone here who approves of fox hunting  :tired:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 14:46:03 PM »
Received a "House of Commons" letter from my MP today. Too long to type verbatim but basically saying we should not ban ritual killing as this would show religious intolerance.

Why not reply and say that it's 2009 and about time we had total intolerance for medieval religious practices?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 10:00:27 AM »
Received a "House of Commons" letter from my MP today. Too long to type verbatim but basically saying we should not ban ritual killing as this would show religious intolerance. We should however encourage stunning animals beforehand  >:(

Why can't they have some balls and say if you want to live in this country, live by our rules of f off out of it  >:(
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 10:02:24 AM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 18:19:57 PM »
I don't have time to read it right now but I assume it is about Halal & Kosher? - both barbaric and needless - yet more brutality in the name of religion  >:(

If you click on the third link in my post, Mark, it takes you to a BHA auto-email which only takes a moment to complete and is sent automatically to your MP on your behalf.  The more of us who feel strongly about this and take action, the more likely the law will be changed to outlaw these practices.

Sorry C, done at last!

Although my local MP is a petuna called Julian Brazier who is for the fox hunt and against equal rights for same sex couples - so I don't expect much support there >:(

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 13:04:14 PM »
Sounds like your local MP is a supporter, Janey  ;D  I haven't heard from mine yet...

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 08:52:04 AM »
I received a letter of reply yesterday from my local MP which says:-

"Thank you for your email of 7th April 2009 regarding the slaughter of animals without pre-stunning.

As you know, the Governent is currently consulting on this issue and I have written to Jane Kennedy, minister with responsibility for animal welfare, conveyng your concerns and asking that your comments be considered as part of the consultation process.

Thank you for bringing this important issue to my attention."

At least a more positive letter than you usually get, hopefully they will soon do something about this.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 08:53:05 AM by janeyk »

Offline Tiggerman

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 14:54:13 PM »
Did it on CatChat.  8)

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 13:47:24 PM »
oooh, I like your new signature thinging  :) it's lovely!

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 11:47:20 AM »
E mail sent

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 09:54:39 AM »
I don't have time to read it right now but I assume it is about Halal & Kosher? - both barbaric and needless - yet more brutality in the name of religion  >:(

If you click on the third link in my post, Mark, it takes you to a BHA auto-email which only takes a moment to complete and is sent automatically to your MP on your behalf.  The more of us who feel strongly about this and take action, the more likely the law will be changed to outlaw these practices.

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 07:01:51 AM »
I have also emailed

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 20:52:57 PM »
Email sent to my MP and MEP.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 20:52:19 PM »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Take action against inhumane ritual slaughtering in UK
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 17:40:40 PM »
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association and they've got an online facility for people to email their MPs about inhumane animal slaughter in the UK.  This is from the BHA newsletter:

TAKE ACTION!

Urge the Government to end inhumane ritual slaughter.

We have responded to a Government consultation on the welfare of animals at time of slaughter, where we have set out our opposition to exemptions from the requirement for pre-stunning of animals for Jewish and Muslim religious slaughter. Properly stunned animals suffer far less pain and distress and suffering than those which are not and we believe that a law covering the welfare of animals should be as humane as possible and apply equally to all in our society. Bans on slaughter without pre-stunning have worked well in other countries without harming religious freedoms or community relations.

You can read our response to the consultation at http://www.humanism.org.uk/_uploads/documents/BHA-Response-to-Defra-consultation-on-animal-welfare-at-time-of-slaughter.pdf

You can get involved by responding to the consultation yourself, details of which can be found at http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/slaughter/

Many of you responded to our call to email your MPs, urging them to sign Early Day Motion (EDM) 510, supported a repeal of the exemption from stunning prior to slaughter for animals killed by Muslim Halal and Jewish Shechita methods. You can write to your MPs again, this time asking them to urge the Government directly to look again at the laws on slaughter of animals. You can find out more and email your MP directly, using our specially designed campaign page at http://campaign.publicaffairsbriefing.co.uk/home.aspx?cid=6c7c0d2e-2763-4820-b8fc-c48124ccb787.

Link to CatChat