Author Topic: Oh no - ticks already!  (Read 2627 times)

Offline saddie

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Theo
Re: Oh no - ticks already!
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 15:16:30 PM »
Hi my name is Lisa and I volunteer for BADA-UK, we are a self funded charity that raises awareness about ticks and the diseases they carry, especially Lyme Disease. There are spot ons you can use on your cat, it is probably best to talk to your vet to see which one will work best for you. We do have a load of information on our website www.bada-uk.org we also sell O'Tom tick twister which are proven to be the safest and easiest way to remove ticks. I have 5 dogs and one cat so use mine regularly.... :Crazy:

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 20:17:18 PM »
Both cats will now be candidates for Frontline - thats what the vet gave at their last checkups - neither go out a great deal these days, but better safe than sorry  :)
People Power Works!!!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 19:42:15 PM »
Use frontline, they dont die straight away but they will

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 19:40:16 PM »
I was told the best way to remove ticks is to cover them in vaseline (Or even Vicks vapour rub!).  It stops them from breathing and they fall off.  Im pleased to say Ive only had to do this a couple of times and it worked  :) 

nooooo, it makes them regurgitate their stomach contents into the animal and that's one of the ways lymes disease is passed. :sick: Same goes for alcohol and any of the other traditional ways.

Eeeewwww!!   :sick: Nobody told me that .....   :doh: and I wasnt going to say earlier, but one of those ticks was on my leg . :-[ .... I picked it up in Wales one summer long ago.   

Thanks for telling me - shant use that method ever again - or more to the point I wont suggest it!!  :)
People Power Works!!!

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 17:49:25 PM »
I was told the best way to remove ticks is to cover them in vaseline (Or even Vicks vapour rub!).  It stops them from breathing and they fall off.  Im pleased to say Ive only had to do this a couple of times and it worked  :) 

nooooo, it makes them regurgitate their stomach contents into the animal and that's one of the ways lymes disease is passed. :sick: Same goes for alcohol and any of the other traditional ways.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 17:35:09 PM »
People Power Works!!!

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 15:48:11 PM »
Program injection works for us we have woods, and lots of sheep and deer here which means lots of ticks

Can be got in tablet form for dogs - our 3 are all on it and all the cats bar 3 - Ace, Blue and Smudger all are ferals and are profendered as we can't get them in to crush cages without major injury to us :shocked:

Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 12:19:49 PM »
Another vote for t-toms here ;D they're brilliant. ;) Not sure i should admit this but i quite enjoy removing (and squishing :naughty:) ticks. :shy:

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 10:51:00 AM »
Get to the vet or PAH and pick up one of these http://www.otom.com/homepage.htm You get two sizes in the packet one for big ticks and one for little ones. They are really easy to use.

Don't forget to kill the tick after either  :innocent:

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline tillywilly

• Adult Cat
  • home of Tilly & Archie
Oh no - ticks already!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 09:52:59 AM »
Hi

We live in a lovely spot, chosen for the location next to woods. BUT if comes at a price of my cats picking up ticks.
I picked 3 of young Archie last week, one was quite large.

How can I prevent them,
whats the best way to remove them??

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Makes my skin crawl just thinking about them-yuk

Link to CatChat