Author Topic: Advice Needed - Please Help!!!  (Read 2581 times)

Offline Leedsboi86

• Adult Cat
Re: Advice Needed - Please Help!!!
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 15:09:04 PM »
I really don't want them in the living room anymore anyway.
When the mad dash starts between Gizmo and Holly then they really don't care whats in the way so the living room is off limits to them.

Gizmo and Holly are fine about not been allowed in, Only Simba is acting up.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 15:04:54 PM »
You could always catproof your living room. Put away breakables etc.

I have a crazy loony indoor cat with a ton of energy who has his mad 15 minutes every day. He loves chewing things, but he has learnt that my things are a big no no. I currently have a lovely thin widescreen tv and xbox 360 on my bedroom floor and it hasn't sustained any damage because he knows to be careful around it [and he's around it a lot]. Anything that I think is a bit too tempting (such as ipod headphones), are kept in a draw because I know he would chew them to pieces given the chance.

I think the only things he has actually damaged of mine are shoelaces ... which is why shoes are never kept where he can kept at them. If its cables you are worried about they sell cable protectors, or you can just hide them.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline Leedsboi86

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 14:50:50 PM »
I'm just gonna stick with the NO to the living room, I really don't want them coming in the living room anyway due to breakages

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 14:37:02 PM »
One thing I can say is if you try so hard to keep a cat off or out of something, they will try there hardest to get into it lol

I found some natural pet repellant wiped onto the soft (the sides they like to scratch) and a stern NO when needed tought them to stay off.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Leedsboi86

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 14:25:12 PM »
 ;D All 3 of them had a better night last night, After only abit of fuss they calmed down alot til 8am.
Will try again with the playtime tonight and see if it makes any difference tonight.

Catbird

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 08:08:16 AM »
Hi Leedsboi,

A cheap and very attractive (to the cats) toy is cardboard boxes and lots of them.  I recently built a "cardboard city" for Dot and I initially put cat treats in the various "houses".  Dot proved not to be that interested in the treats, in fact she mainly seemed to be pretending to be Catzilla by sneaking up and visiting furry destruction on her imaginary inhabitants.  The down side of this is that you have cardboard boxes all over the place.  As Gillian said, good cat trees are worth their weight in gold and apparently provide excellent launch sites when dive-bombing imaginary doomed villagers.

On the flip side - Dot was terrific this morning.  She woke me and I noticed that we must have had a power cut at some point in the night as the alarm clock had stopped.  I walked into the kitchen to check the time and saw that it was EXACTLY the time that the alarm should have gone off!!   :wow:  I'm interviewing this morning and couldn't be late, so BIG LOVES for Dot!!  :Luv2:

C.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 22:22:39 PM »
As a temporary deterrant, try some double sided tape on the leather sofa. Cat's don't like the stickiness on their paws. After a short while, hopefully, :rofl: kitties are discouraged from scratching the leather. Any residual glue can be removed by use of a mild solvent. Hope that helps.

My cats are excluded from the bedrooms (allergies) and from the front/dining room when we are aren't in (destructiveness), so you totally have my sympathy.

They do have run of kitchen and hallways with constant access to food, 3 x cat beds etc when we aren't around. They seem to prefer the garden even when it rains! :shify:
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 22:17:24 PM »
Have you got some large activity centres for them to fling themselves about on rather than your bed?  :)Something like these http://www.kalven.co.uk/pagoda.htm , or these http://www.catscratcher.com/page.asp?id=products

Offline Leedsboi86

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 21:46:22 PM »
Will deff try making one of the toilet roll toys they do look fun for the cats.
How many rolls did you use on the base?

As for the living room, I have had endless problems with the cats in living room from smashing my laptop from it's desk to tryin to eat the Hamsters so it really is best to keep them out. the apartment is quite large without the living room, they also get time on the Balcony too for some fresh air and playtime but I will also sort out some form of outdoor toys for them too.

Also Simba the oldest has a nasty habbit of scratching leather and since I have just for a new Leather Sofa which cost pretty much an arm and a leg I really don't want to risk it.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 21:45:48 PM »
Aww I like the commentary on your videos  :)

You're biased ;) Just played it myself.. good lord what was I thinking.

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 21:42:41 PM »

Please forgive the commentary

Aww I like the commentary on your videos  :)

Oooh I forgot to say ours also love their Ikea tent, worth getting if you have one near you  ;D
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 21:41:40 PM »
I'm a right one to try and give advice as I have a little monster who is a livewire at night too.  He is settling down now and at the age of 3 years and 3 months, he's finally worked out that night time is for sleeping.  Well, part of it anyway.

I would suggest tiring them out as much as possible during the evening (to the point of waking them if they try to have a sleep) - toys such as da bird are great for that - feed them before bed and then ignore them regardless of what they get up to so that they don't work out that you respond to their behaviour (even a negative response is still rewarding them for their behaviour).

I can understand you wanting to keep them out of the living room, but would it not be easier to put the small animals in your bedroom and then you could shut them in the living room at night?  cables etc can be dealt with (ether by covering or spraying something unpleasant - to cats - on them).  You know the layout of your flat best, but a one bed flat minus living room doesn't sound like a lot of space for 3 cats.  I live in a 1 bed flat and my 2 cats are indoor cats also, but I can't imagine them not being allowed in the living room.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 21:38:58 PM »
Indeed I do. Good point Cheesy. I made this as a suggestion in our Help Section in General Cat Cat. Loads of ideas there.

Please forgive the commentary

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 21:34:18 PM »
Well, if it were me, I'd only allow them in initially under supervision with you. Strong reinforcements of "no" work but you have to back it up with action. So if they go to the cables, you say "no", pick them up and move them away. Keep doing it, even if you do it 30 times, just keep doing it. Eventually they will learn. Alternatively, you can get some bitter apple from your vets (or Vet UK I think). You can rub that on the outside of the cable and it has a bitter taste that most cats (and I say most.. not all) won't touch.

For furniture, again, clip nails if you're worried they might damage furniture - just take care to only clip above the quick of the nail (the pink bit) otherwise you'll hurt them.  Make sure you put their scratcher in the living room so that they can have access to that. 

Other will have some other points to offer. I really don't know about the other furries you have there. One of our other mods has critters of all sorts in her house and has 5 cats! She might be able to help (JS where are you!). If they can live in the whole house with you, they will be less inclined to want to bother you when you sleep and behave more.

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 21:31:28 PM »
Hello and  :welcome:

I have three indoor cats too  :shy:
Ours love playing in their crinkle tunnel and of course love da bird with the feather attachment - they go crazy for that!

I also made a pyramid out of cardboard tubes recently (Ruth has a video of her cat playing with one of these I think!) I put little kibbles of food in there and they are stimulated by 'hunting' the food in the tubes, all of ours love that and I try to set it up when we are leaving the house to keep them occupied!

We also have the cat-it ball track - (I forget its official title!) ours like playing with that too.

I think cats do mostly get used to your patterns after a while as ours may have their crazy time in the evening but mostly sleep on the bed with us at night  :Luv2:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Leedsboi86

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 21:30:04 PM »
Will deff get some toys from the shop, The Cat Cubes your selling are the same ones I have for my Cats.
The Lazer light seems like a good idea I bet I could get them to run around quite alot with one of them.

What can I do about the living room issue though?

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 21:24:47 PM »
Have a look at our shop (all proceeds go to the rescue fund), there are loads of toys, tents, lots to play with there. The Da Bird is a favourite amongst most cats (I have yet to find one that hasn't growled if you try to steal it from them).

As they're indoor cats they also need more stimulation so if you can, make access to windows easy so they can see things. I have perches near windows in the forms of sofa arms, tables, scratcher, things that give them some interest (if you haven't already). The good thing is they have each other for company so they aren't as bored as they might pretend to be.

Mine is indoor but she's lazy.. I mean... seriously(!) lazy.

Another thing that is fun is a laser pointer. The red "bug" to chase is fantastic!

Offline Leedsboi86

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 21:21:30 PM »
Funny enough just thought they newer posting way is abit better hehe.
As for the kittys, I shall try and tire them out, I did but them a jingle mouse on a wand tonight so will give them ago with that.
They are all indoor cats aswell.

I will have to dig out the kitty pop up tend that has afew toys attached to it cause I know they used to play with that alot.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 21:16:18 PM »
 :naughty: Ah yes.. the cables...  Tragic deaths they have at the hands of the furries  :evillaugh:

For moving your posts, go to your profile and choose from the left hand options Layout. You can choose the direction you prefer.

I think that you might have to try a few things, but if you can, the best thing to do is tire them out with lots of play before bed. So many of us know the drill. The rule our homes when it comes to when you sleep and when you don't!

Offline Leedsboi86

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 21:10:58 PM »
Hiya

Of course I shall charge my cam batts up in abit and take some :)

As for the living room, I have 2 Dwarf Hamsters, Small Aquarium and Simbas(oldest male) fave play toy..... My Cables from PC and TV....
He has already broken the Wii my partner bought for me and we have had to get another.

They tend to go on mass destruction in living room so it's been made off limits to them.

P.S Is there anyway to make the the replys show below the Original Post of do they always go above?

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 21:07:43 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs.

We'd love to have some photos of your three. It's in the :rules: you know. We must have photos to drool over!!  ;) ;)

As to your dilema, well what can I say. Cats are nocturnal by nature, and they are quite young so they are doing what comes natural to them.

Some things you can try is to give them all a really good play session during the evening when you get home from work. If you do work during the day and away from home, they probably do as most cats do.... they sleep.

By tiring them more, maybe feeding them less in the morning and more at night so that they have fuller bellies, they might sleep a little more into the night.

Since I don't know your circumstances, I guess my one question would be as your flat is only 1 bedroom, with 3 cats, is there any particular reason they aren't allowed in the living room? By having more room they might leave you alone more.  As they are hyper at night they will come into your bedroom.

Rule of thumb: don't show any reaction at night to them. The more you give them attention the more they know that you will get up or want to "play" with them.

Their body clocks don't operate on the same time as ours do... you are welcome to a forum of people who know what its like to be awake early!!  :evillaugh:

Offline Leedsboi86

• Adult Cat
Advice Needed - Please Help!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 20:57:22 PM »
Hello Everyone.

I'm in need of some tips and adive regarding my 3 Cats, I have 2 Males which are 2 yrs and 3 yrs old and a Female who is 1yr old.
The major problem I am having is at night when I have gone to bed, The 3 cats will really start acting up, Running like idiots, diving in windows, attacking each other, darting across the bed and knocking things over in the kitchen.

This will carry on for sevral hours even when they have been told off many times, Afew minutes later they will just start again just as bad, Now the other thing is I can't shut them out of the bedroom because I live in a 1 bedroom apartment and they are not allowed in living room as it is.

I really don't know what to do about this.

The other problem I am having is the oldest Male won't get used to not been allowed in living room.
He will dart in when ever the door is opend, He will scratch and meow at the door even when told off for doing so.

Really need some helpppppp!

Link to CatChat