Author Topic: A snapshot of sleep disruption: how was it for you?  (Read 6494 times)

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
Re: A snapshot of sleep disruption: how was it for you?
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2007, 17:20:48 PM »
 :evillaugh: :evillaugh: Suddenly I'm quite glad that I've got an old cat, it sounds as if I get away fairly lightly compared to those of you with more sprightly mischief makers!!

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2007, 11:05:34 AM »
I had an awful night last night... I thought my PA had shut everyone safe and sound downstairs but I met Letty on the landing when I got up for the loo, and then discovered that the downstairs door was wide open - not sure if Hayley forgot to shut it or if someone's found out how to open doors.. I do hope not  :doh:

I got a really good snuggle from Daffy which was lovely, but from about 2am onwards they were doing Wall of Death round and round my bedroom, high-jump from the top of the wardrobe onto the bed (with me in it!), knocked my glass of water over... I'm really tired this morning. I do love them but I need my sleep!
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2007, 10:54:23 AM »
Bilbo let me go to sleep at about 1am. He then woke me up at 4am for half an hour, 5.30am for an hour and then 8am. I could have killed him as I am absolutely exhausted at the moment due to him waking me up for a few hours each night. He keeps scratching the carpet by the front door as he wants to go out and then banging things around and of course he does his funny 'I'm sooo upset Mummy' talking noises in the hope that I'll feel so sorry for him I'll click my fingers and make a garden and cat run magically appear outside for him..
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 10:59:11 AM by Lottie @ Uni »
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2007, 10:25:18 AM »

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2007, 09:35:50 AM »
:

Was so windy during the night, it was roaring round the house and making the rain pelt against the windows ..... not fun!

Have you tried deflatine  :evillaugh:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2007, 09:19:41 AM »
Well I had a good night last night  ;D  Went to bed about 11.30pm.  Jaffa settled down with his hot water bottle in his usual place (near enough to be stroked but not so close that he's disturbed by my turning over) and after about 20 minutes Mosi came along and settled down the other side against my legs (his usual place).   Woke up about 6am (just before the alarm was due to go off) and they were both in the same places.  :ok:  Well done lads!

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2007, 08:50:05 AM »
Last night was not great  :Crazy:

Was so windy during the night, it was roaring round the house and making the rain pelt against the windows ..... not fun!

Max was a bit spooked by the noise, but was a very good boy and gave me lots of cuddles as I had nasty tummy cramps all night as well, so he was my very own little purring hot water bottle.

Feel absolutely shattered this morning, not a good omen for my 10am meeting  :rofl:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2007, 13:27:40 PM »
It was a 5am wake up call for me this morning but for once I didn't really mind.  Mosi was a bit upset about something last night and we weren't on best of terms when we went to bed.  He woke me up to tell me I was forgiven and did I forgive him, we had a kiss and a cuddle and went back to sleep  ;D

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2007, 12:50:56 PM »
Mia spent an hour last night jumping on the curtain rail in the bedroom. She meows a bit beforehand to prepare herself, and then meows once she's there because she can't come down or turn round  :evillaugh: Just when I was going to take her downstairs because I couldn't take it anymore, she calmed down and fell asleep cuddled against me under the duvet  :Luv:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2007, 12:47:43 PM »
I know the feeling so very well.

It sounds great to tell friends that my bloodshot eyes and exhausted expression is because I've been kept up all night by a beautiful, energetic, 16 year old girl called Suzie especially when you get to my age!, then I have to explain that she's covered in fur, has four legs and likes nothing better than to rub noses, sink her claws into me and dribble all over me and, suprisingly, they then think I'm very strange :) :).

Apparently there's a name for people like me (us), "ailurophile(s)", I tell them that I'm an ailurophile and, for some strange reason, they start to reach for their coats and mumble something like "is it really that late already?" !! :) :).

As the quotation goes : "The more people I meet, the more I like my cats".

Cheers

Leigh
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 13:20:42 PM by LeighK »
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline Marie

• Senior Cat
  • Maisy and Tommy
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2007, 12:35:26 PM »
I was woken Friday night/Saturday morning at 3am by Tommy running and throwing himself at the bathroom door!!!  He then woke Maisy who was until then very happily sleeping in her bed by the side of our bed.  I finally at about 4am went back to sleep by settling both cats on my body then was woken again at 5am by Tommy once again throwing himself at the bathroom door.  At this point I took them both down and shut them in the kitchen, feeling guilty that poor Maisy had to be shut in too when she was sound asleep but oh would Tommy cry for his sister if they were not together.
Marie, Maisy and Tommy xxx

Offline Susieh

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2007, 12:10:57 PM »
I usually get from when I go to bed (when I have managed to get them all inside and locked the catflap) at anywhere between 11pm-12am until some point between 4.00-5.30am when I am woken by Paddy with his "I need to go out for a wee" miow.  If it is before 5am then I ignore him and go back to sleep for a bit but after 5.00am then I stumble downstairs (2 flights of stairs) not turning on any lights because I don't want to wake up properly, and unlock the catflap. There are litter trays inside of course but Paddy hates using them these days. Then I go back to bed and am usually woken up every half an hour from then on by Freddy coming back in through the catflap and louding miowing to announce it.

I could of course lock them in their room (with catflap, water, food and litter trays in) but I feel nasty doing that when they have always had the run of the house so instead I just let them turn me into a wreck through sleep deprivation.  I sometimes wish I lived somewhere rural where it would be safer to leave the catflap open at night but I bet that one of the 3 would wake me up anyway for some other reason  >:(

When I move house and get my own place with a garden then I will catproof and leave the catflap open all night - that way maybe I will return to being a normal human being again?

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 12:03:22 PM »
The only time I get a good nights sleep is if I'm on my own lol! 

If Max is on the bed I'll wake up a few times as he likes to sleep right next to me, so I'm kind of pinned in and can't move, otherwise he'll be right next to my feet, so I'll wake up with a backache a few times from being at such a weird angle.

Combine that with o/h's eczema and its a recipe for always feeling tired  :rofl:

Bless 'em  :scared:

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007, 11:11:23 AM »
We tend to find with our cats that if we dont leave a little bit of 'supper' down for them when we go to bed that they're trying to wake us up at all hours for food. One gets rather fidgety if he doesnt have his biscuit down to nibble on and then chases the other two cats.

I'll never forget when we got our first cat, I dont think we got much, if any, sleep on that first night of having him. We tried shutting the bedroom door (as we have a living room with stairs up to the landing where bedroom is) but he was howling, and scratching the door ... and we gave in! Then it was every 30 minutes or so, we'd get a lick or nibble on the nose or elbow - and even if you put your head under the duvet you'd see a black paw coming at you (slowly!) as if to say 'I know you're in there somewhere' - we know it was just him wanting some reassurance bless his heart.

Thankfully our cats appear to know when the weekend is - as they will let us have a lie in - as they appear to have them too!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 07:32:59 AM »
Last night went to bed at 10pm as I was exhausted. Kylie was on the bed. Clapton was asleep on the sofa in the living room. Willow was asleep in the kitchen.

3am - Kylie and willow fighting in the kitchen (which is above my bedroom). Got up and brought Kylie downstairs. 3.15 Clapton miowing in living room. got up to check he was OK. 3.30 - nature called. By then wide awake. took about an hour to get back to sleep. 6am - alarm went off. So much for an early night  :tired:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2007, 23:55:03 PM »
|I feel so sorry for all of you  ;D

Mine are well trained, birmans leave bed when I swich off light. Have no idea where they go but when i wake up to turn over they are usually back sleeping next to my head or round feet but no probs.

The big cats sleep downstairs and know I dont get up till late, very late lol, but they dont bother me at all.

At present Misa is asleep on his desk, Sasa snoring on her sofa and the birmans are sleeping, prob on my bed.

All very civilized  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2007, 22:54:24 PM »
I was lucky this morning. Only 5:35am wake up call with a fluffy ball and a paw hitting my nose. 

I am trying to ignore Lexy when she does things like that to see if she'll stop but once I'm up well then I get up so she thinks this is the way!

Love her to bits though so don't mind looking like a hag most of the time   :rofl:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2007, 17:14:41 PM »
LOL!  We have recently overcome that one (happened even with just the one cat!) We have just had radiators fitted so now Sooty has a cat radiator bed which is about the same height as the bed and I can reach out and stroke him from there.  He seems to prefer it as he doesn't get kicked during the night, and we prefer it as we aren't sleeping on about a quarter of the bed so the cat can have the rest  :rofl:  Now it's getting light earlier, he is wanting his breakfast when the time still starts with 5, though  >:(

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2007, 15:24:26 PM »
Usually have around 7 of my 10 on the bed with me  :Crazy: Luckily they are all pretty quiet and follow similar sleep patterns to me LOL!  I think I disturb them more than them me! especially when I turnover and there is a thud as one falls off and then drags itself back up  ;D

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2007, 11:24:37 AM »
It is the exception if my cats sleep with me - I get so tired and sore after a day that I really really need a night's sleep (12 hours last night and only woke once!). They've got the living room and the kitchen to themselves - it's warm, 2 sofas, 4 cat beds, litter trays, biscuits and water, toys EVERYWHERE...  I do miss being cuddled in the night, but I'm confident that they're happy where they are.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2007, 10:15:20 AM »
Do any of us get to sleep through an entire night? I know I don't! :evillaugh:Wouldn't be without 'em though!

I certainly  haven't since I had Mosi.  Jaffa is a good boy and he would sleep through the night but Mosi can't do more than 5 hours max.  He settles down ok but always wakes up and gets lively after 4-5 hours so the earlier I go to bed the earlier he'll wake me up.  My reasoning behind allowing him in the bedroom is that I'd rather be woken by a fluffy face rubbing against mine than by the sound of crying or scratching at the door.  Although once he's woken me up I sometimes put them both out the back if there's a reasonable chance of getting back to sleep and they are happy to settle down out there for a while.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 10:11:11 AM »
Out of my 7 cats theres only one that causes distruption at night and thats max ( the stray kitten i took in a month ago) he wants to sleep right on my face but thats not it !he keeps pushing his great big paw over my mouth  :rofl: every time i lift him off and put him on the floor he jumps bk up and does the whole thing again , occasionally my pickles will sleep on top of my legs at night but that doesnt bother me .

[attachment deleted by admin]
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 09:00:13 AM »
I was really lucky this morning, and I got to have a lie in - first time since Tom came back!! Lucy cried and scratched at the door at 3am, so she got told to shut up, and everyone was quiet then till 7.30. Molly is nice to me, and while she will fuss at 6.30, if you move the duvet, she will happily go back to sleep curled against you - the joys of having oldies!!
Please spay your cat

Offline COSMIC CREEPERS

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2007, 19:51:51 PM »
thats nothing you lot

12pm 2 yr old up for water
12.10 4 yr old  joining in

2 yr old up at 2am
                   2.10am
                   3am
2 yr old and 4 yr old both up and in my bed at 3.20am hubby in 4 yr olds  bed  :evillaugh:
mango running under bed

4am both playing on floor wi barbies and mango playing wi there shoes

4.30 marched them all back to bed and all was quite untill 7pm when 2 yr old came back in wi mango in tow  :doh: we just got up for crumpets  ;)

hope tonights better

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2007, 15:53:43 PM »
Midnight: leaning on cold wall as no space available
2am: Taz chewing my hair
4am: Tabitha just checking if its time for breakfast
6am: 5 minutes before alarm Tabitha checking if breakfast is comming

No wonder im so tired!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 11:53:42 AM »
Do any of us get to sleep through an entire night? I know I don't! :evillaugh: Wouldn't be without 'em though!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 10:32:22 AM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline shecat

• Senior Cat
  • Tilly Ollie and Loki
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2007, 11:42:41 AM »
5am Ollie and Loki decided to have races and tag up and down the stairs.  There is no carpet on the stairs to it sounded like an herd of elephants then the dog joined in.  They are all asleep now.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »
Sleep?  what's that then?  I think that's something other people do.  I actually had a good night by my standards.  Went to bed about 1am and made it til 5.30am before being woken by the fluffy monster wanting to play bed mice.  As it's saturday I put them out the back (bribed with a treat) so that I could get some more sleep and after about 10 mins of hearing what sounded like a herd of elephants running around I went back to sleep until 7.30am.

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 11:18:26 AM »
I'm afraid I did Cruel Mummy and shut everyone downstairs last night.

Ollie had a bit of a yowl round about 3am but settled down again without me needing to get up and soothe him.

Which is just as well 'cos at the moment I need another person's assistance to do the getting up bit!

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
A snapshot of sleep disruption: how was it for you?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 10:17:22 AM »
Thought it'd be interesting to have a snapshot of what our little darlings do to us during the night  :evillaugh:

Last night was a good night, I was woken up at 5.51am by yowling then being licked on the forehead.*

How about you??

*By Sooty the cat, I should add  :evillaugh:

Link to CatChat