Author Topic: A day to cherish plus the boys do me proud  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Re: A day to cherish plus the boys do me proud
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 13:33:18 PM »
Awww Leigh thats made me smile today, I am so glad you all had a lovely day despite the wheelchair issues

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 12:37:54 PM »
Glad the day went well (apart from the wheelchair!) Lovely that you mum can now visit you and the boys  :hug:

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 09:43:10 AM »
It sounds as if you had a wnderful day Leigh, so glad it all went well despite wheelchair probs.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 18:32:11 PM »
It sounds as tho everyone enjoyed themselves ;D despite all the obstacles, but im also sure it was worth all the effort to spend time in your  :Luv:own home with your Mum and friends and your boys 
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 15:26:18 PM »
Thanks guys,

Yes it was a very special occasion, I just ordered her a smaller wheelchair and arranged delivery for tomorrow to her nursing home and, heavens knows why, I phoned the home to brief them.

Cheers

Leigh
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 15:13:57 PM »
I'm so pleased for you Leigh hun, I know how much it meant to you to finally get a flat where your Mum could come round and meet the boys  :hug: :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 14:58:38 PM »
So glad your mum came over Leigh.....Im sure even though exhausting that the boys and you obviously had a great time and Im sure your mum enjoyed every minute!  :Luv: :hug: :hug:

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 11:50:19 AM »
Thanks Dawn, that's great, I'm on my way to check them out on their website.

Cheers

Leigh

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 11:29:58 AM »
Leigh that really made me smile!  my mum is in a wheelchair also, we got a good one from Argos a couple of years ago - she uses dial a ride as well but I think the Ealing version is a bit hit or miss

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 11:27:16 AM »
That's brilliant, Leigh - glad you all had such a good time.  :hug: :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
A day to cherish plus the boys do me proud
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 11:25:24 AM »
Good morning folks,

Saturday was a "special" day, a day that had taken many many months if not several years to come about. On Saturday I finally got my mum over to my home and she was able to meet the boys. It was a day not without considerable stress and worries though. First of all, depsite talking to the home manageress and several members of the nursing home staff in advance, as usual the person on the spot didn't know anything about it!. I had arranged for dial-a-ride to pick her up from the home and run her over to me, the first time I've used the service and, I'm happy to report they were excellent. When she arrived the problems started, she has a wheelchair which is "huge" with the side wheels on that the occupant can propel themselves which add considerable width to the chair and which are stupid as she can't propel herself as she can't use her hands. I knew that getting her down my hallway would be a very very tight squeeze but I never thought that it would prove almost imposible to get her in the front door! then round 90 degrees down the hall and then 90 degrees again into my lounge. Basilcally we, the driver and myself, only achieved it by taking the leg rests off and half pushing and bumping the chair with those stupid wheels scraping either side of the doorframe and then the hallway radiator and opposite wall, it looked for a while like mission impossible but, as they say, "where there's a will" etc.

From then on I'm delighted to say that the day went brilliantly, I had invited my cousin Vanessa and a friend round and mum had a lovelly time chatting with them and, most of all, meeting Alfie and Frankie. She's never met them as, in the last three years since I adopted Alfie and then Frankie and my previous 2nd floor flat she's never been able to come round. The boys were great, I don't get that many vistors and four people and a wheelchair all at the same time was a new experience for them. The boys are so much more relaxed in their new home and Frankie let me hold him whilst she stroked him and Alfie let her play with him with the Da Bird. It's more than three years since she's been that close to cat and it was lovelly seeing them together. I cooked lunch and we all had a splendid time until the equally difficult taks of getting her back out of the flat. Anticipating all of these problems in advance, I was annoyed that my request that she be put in a smaller wheelchair hadn't been acted on by the home. I am looking at buying her a smaller, more lkghtweight chair without those  :censored: great wheels in time for her next visit but all in all it was a brilliant day, the boys were exhausted and both flaked out next to each other on the bed and I took a couple of pain killers as my head was pounding with a mixture of no food (kept mine warm whilst I fed mum) and the stress of getting her safely too and thro and in and out of the flat. Would I do it again tomorrow, you bet!, seeing her with the boys was "priceless".

Cheers

Leigh

Link to CatChat