Author Topic: Post Office insurance?  (Read 4516 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Post Office insurance?
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2010, 17:32:32 PM »
Ahhhhhh I see Rosella  ;D

I do have ped papers for the birmans and Rachel the vet that left new what they were but suspect others dont,,,,,they are just cute or lovely to the others lol................they should try sharing a pillow with them  :rofl:

Yes Susanne is right comapanies cam change underwriters but as far as I know all companies that Have AXA as an underwriter refer to them as AXA.

And of course many of us know the saga of M&S who were underwritten by AXA and then dumped by AXA  :scared:

On the whole its best to go to the underwriter it seem in cat insurance cos as said you get a better deal.

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2010, 10:16:25 AM »
I dont see how AXA can say its determined by the vet cos many vets cant tell one breed from another........sigh,,,,,,,,,,and of course we all know its better to insure before they see a vet..........dont we peeps  :shify: :shify:

The way I put it to Axa chap was that I have a pal in Wales that I know from t'internet who has 2 Birmans and 2 moggies and pays much higher levels of premiums to Axa for the peds.  However as all 4 are rescue puds she may not have ped papers for the peds.   He then said what he said.

Whether a cat is a ped or not is determined by the owner.  Mosi is down as a Somali because I said he was a Somali.  Admittedly, I've not made a claim with Axa so dont' know whether they ask the vet whether the cat is a ped (petplan didn't) but I'm sure my vet wouldn't know a Somali from a Russian Blue.

Larah - a lot of companies do underwrite many policies, but it is usually cheaper to go direct to the company.  Axa, for example, do underwrite the policies for lots of companies that offer insurance, but that doesn't mean it's the same policy and it's generally cheaper to go direct to Axa.  I'm not certain of this, but I would also imagine that an 3rd party could decide to change their underwriter?

Offline Larah

• Kitten
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2010, 09:58:49 AM »
Oh I see now, thank you for explaining that too me. I have a question about pet insurance though. My friend is with an insurance company called Healthy pets which is a per condition insurer I think. But she said they are "underwritten" by an insurance company called Amtrust which is connected to Axa in some way. I dont think i will be going with Healthy pets for my cat insurance because I would like the refreshing yearly pot, but I am interested by how all the underwriting stuff works. So my question is are a lot of companies essentially underwritten by the same company? I dont get it.

many thanks,

Lara

x

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 08:48:29 AM »
I dont see how AXA can say its determined by the vet cos many vets cant tell one breed from another........sigh,,,,,,,,,,and of course we all know its better to insure before they see a vet..........dont we peeps  :shify: :shify:

The way I put it to Axa chap was that I have a pal in Wales that I know from t'internet who has 2 Birmans and 2 moggies and pays much higher levels of premiums to Axa for the peds.  However as all 4 are rescue puds she may not have ped papers for the peds.   He then said what he said.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2010, 08:17:48 AM »
Larah, there are different types of insurance - my cats used to be insured with Sainsbury's, but they pay out per condition, they are now with AXA who pay out per year, which is much better, especially when cats are younger like yours. I pay £15ish per month for the girls, but they are 17 and 19, and AXA have paid out for both of them this year.
Please spay your cat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 19:30:56 PM »
Yes you are right Suzanne and if your cat has ped papers you are obviously going to fill out the breed bit.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 16:58:57 PM »
I just rang Axa.  Whether a cat is pedigree or not is determined by vet not whether it has ped papers. 

Difference in premium cost is more down to pedigrees statistically having more health probs than moggies,

I would like to see the statistics that they are using to determine that.  I assume they are going on the average payout they make to customers?

When you buy insurance for a ped it asks what breed and you select the breed from a drop down list.  They don't ask any further questions.  I'd like to know whether they do charge differing amounts for different breeds.

No probs, Larah.  In fact, if you have a question on a subject that has already been covered previously, no harm whatsoever in resurrecting an old thread rather than starting a new one.

Axa will insure oldies.  I have recently insured my 12 year old with them (he was previously with petplan then with no-one for a while).

There are different types of pet insurance.  The main things to look for are max payouts per year rather than per condition (better if your cat develops a chronic illness as the pot is re-filled each year, so to speak), lifetime cover and the excess.

Offline Larah

• Kitten
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 16:28:28 PM »
Hi Laura and  :welcome: to Purrs

Are you saying you doubt Post Office or Axa cover 15 year olds?  Axa and post office did when I compared last year as I posted earlier in this thread.  The cover was however better with Axa than post office. 

Cost is of course more expensive for oldies for obvious reasons.  Is there anything you would like to know in particular about pet insurance?  Perhaps you are Julie's pal that she was looking at Post Office insurance for?  :)

Ooo I am sorry for bringing back a past post, to be honest I didn't see the date of it.

I only ask because I was looking for an insurance company that would insure an old but still in good health cat (Remi 10). Is there different types of pet insurance?

Lara

x

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 09:10:52 AM »
I think it's daft that peds cost more than moggies.  Not all peds are susceptible to hereditary problems.  Somalis are a pretty healthy breed, for example.  The replacement cost is just that when you take out insurance you tend to get asked how much the cat cost and that tends to be more for peds.  But once a cat is over a certain age, they tend not to pay out anything for that anyway.

I think it is probably down to the fact that some breeders line-breed which increases the chances of health problems, regardless of whether that breed is prone to certain things (just something I picked up scanning through a book for a breeding assignment)
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2010, 09:08:04 AM »
I just rang Axa.  Whether a cat is pedigree or not is determined by vet not whether it has ped papers. 

Difference in premium cost is more down to pedigrees statistically having more health probs than moggies, as opposed to  amount paid out if pud passes away.

Sorry I didn't ask whether some breeds cost more to insure than others.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2010, 08:48:54 AM »
I do wonder what the term "pedigree" means as far as cat insurance is concerned?  I wonder if you have to have ped papers? 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2010, 08:16:58 AM »
I think it's daft that peds cost more than moggies.  Not all peds are susceptible to hereditary problems.  Somalis are a pretty healthy breed, for example.  The replacement cost is just that when you take out insurance you tend to get asked how much the cat cost and that tends to be more for peds.  But once a cat is over a certain age, they tend not to pay out anything for that anyway.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 20:44:25 PM »
its because they ask about replacement value MM or waqs that T and if they something happened to them, cant remember what , the insurance would cough up.

They always ask breed so dont know if its higher say fro persians than birmans due to health issues, but dont know of any health issues for birmans across the breed.

All these online forms are such a pain cos to get any answers one has to keep changing all details.

I think if you are a bona fide breeder like Lottie her insurance is probably quite special but my birmans are rescue cats just like Misa and Sasa mogggies  ;D

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 20:20:47 PM »
I feel its down to hereditary issues, hcm etc  all being pricey conditions more likely to occur, insurance is afterall based on averages.
None of my policies have changed with/without a purchase price so not sure a price tag or donated amount makes a difference to policy costs

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 20:11:47 PM »
Perhaps insurance cost would be cheaper for rescued peds who dont technically cost anything ? (bearing in mind a donation is not a charge) maybe it would be worth asking insurance about this.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 20:09:19 PM »
i dont know why but eacg  birman costs nearly 10 a month more than my m oggies and they down as costing me nothing when i got them..........i reckjon its cos they can get away with it and its across all the ins companies  :(

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 20:01:29 PM »
It's because should the puss have to be PTS, a pedigree is more expensive to replace than a moggy.  :(

Surely not, sadly if this is the case Peds are being treated like a replaceable commodity.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 19:56:39 PM »
It's because should the puss have to be PTS, a pedigree is more expensive to replace than a moggy.  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 19:54:26 PM »
I suppose it is because peds are more prone to hereditary things? - ie Persians with PKD etc. I can't imagine there being any other reason - unless it is because they know they can get away with it.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 19:45:13 PM »
AXA definately will insure them and I have to birmans coming up to 17yrs old with AXA, they cost more cos they are peds.

I dont understand this ,Why are peds more expensive? surely vet treatment is the same for moggies and pedigrees.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 19:30:21 PM »
AXA definately will insure them and I have to birmans coming up to 17yrs old with AXA, they cost more cos they are peds.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 19:29:33 PM »
And dont forget the commission julie  ;)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 17:17:05 PM »
Crikey... talk about the past coming back to haunt you!  :Crazy: :rofl:

The answer to your question, Larah, is that I have no idea. I have trouble remembering last month let alone something over 12 months ago.  :evillaugh: I can't even figure out which friend asked me for info.  :-:

Being involved in CP and as any friends wishing to adopt a cat usually ask me to find them a CP cat/kitten, they come with 4 weeks free Petplan. It's a boon as cats that normally wouldn't be touched by insurance companies HAVE to be covered under the terms agreed by HQ and Petplan have to honour the agreement to carry on cover past the free period if the new owner pays premiums. But what those premiums are I couldn't tell you.  :tired:

Welcome to purrs anyway.  ;) :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 17:04:15 PM »
Hi Laura and  :welcome: to Purrs

Are you saying you doubt Post Office or Axa cover 15 year olds?  Axa and post office did when I compared last year as I posted earlier in this thread.  The cover was however better with Axa than post office. 

Cost is of course more expensive for oldies for obvious reasons.  Is there anything you would like to know in particular about pet insurance?  Perhaps you are Julie's pal that she was looking at Post Office insurance for?  :)

Offline Larah

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 16:56:11 PM »

I wouldnt trust Post Office to get best deal and still think AX\ especially for older cats best.

Just found this thread through Google :) I would be very surprised if they would insure a 15 year old cat and if they did the cost would be huge!?

Did you find anyone Pinkbear?

Laura

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 01:22:57 AM »
I would go for Axa.

I have car insurance with Post office and underwritten by Norwich Union and they wanted to change me to Zurich this year. I haved got it with Norwich Union for £130 cheAPER THAN LASY YEAR AND £80 CHEAPER THAN THIS YEARS\QUOTE AND THE INSURANCE IS BETTER.

Sorry caps\ lov#ck came on in middle........sigh....fraid typingt is worse than normal tonight cos on old lappy and franta lying on one arm!

I wouldnt trust Post Office to get best deal and still think AXa\ especaillly for olderr cats best.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2009, 23:42:03 PM »
No experience with post office pet insurance but I have had car insurance with them  ;D  not much help, sorry!  They were cheapest for car insurance by a mile when I went with them.   I agree - get an online quote from axa and compare it - Axa will cover older cats.  I suspect Axa cover will be better.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 23:41:51 PM »
I just got quotes from both for 15 year old siamese with no existing conditions (must get a life) and post office was £2 pa cheaper i.e. £285 compared to £287 ouch!  So would still choose Axa.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 23:37:12 PM »
Just obtained online quote with post office for Dinah aged 1 year of £76.53 pa.  Am paying £75 pa currently with Axa (reflects 5% discount for multiple policies).

The post office policy is underwritten by Axa but covers £5,000 per condition (rather than Axa of £7,000 per annum - not per condition) and excess with post office is £75 rather than £50 with Axa.

Suggest your friend obtains an online quote from Axa for her 15 year old Siamese for comparison Julie as there is no age limit.  I suspect that cutting out the post office as middleman might have some effect on quote but it's gonna be pricey whoever she goes with.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
Post Office insurance?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 23:02:46 PM »
A friend has asked me to ask you lot if anyone has experience of the Post Office pet insurance? What are your findings?

Puss in question is a 15 year old Siamese and the lady is led to believe the Post Office policy may be one of the few that accept older cats.

Ta!  :naughty:

Link to CatChat