Author Topic: Best probiotic?  (Read 7400 times)

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Best probiotic?
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 10:01:50 AM »
Just digging this back up as the current foster has tummy issues, so I have her on SEB, is it safe to use long term? Sam has a bit of an upset tum after the ab's last week, I might put some in his food tonight too.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 19:24:57 PM »
Hmm, I only found one page and I started off doing a search for LactoB and it brought me up some ferret food!! I clearly did something wrong!!

Lol, i never get on with their search

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2009, 09:38:02 AM »
Hmm, I only found one page and I started off doing a search for LactoB and it brought me up some ferret food!! I clearly did something wrong!!
Please spay your cat

Offline DebbieM

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 22:35:25 PM »
Hi, yes I had it tested and they found nothing.  :-: He actually likes this food, luckily! Had a choice of wet or dry and he loves his wet food so went for that one. Just hope he doesn't get fed up with it too soon!

Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash.
That one is the cat.
If man could be crossed with a cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat. -Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 19:47:40 PM »
http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5_172&sort=20a&page=1

3 pages of stuff here  ;D

Thanks Mark! We are just back from the vets and they advised he was put on a prescrition diet to see if that helps so I'll hold off with the SEB for now. Hope it tastes nice to him cos he adores his food!  :(
Have you had his stool tested before going into the boring world of tasteless diets?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 09:55:23 AM »
I couldnt find LactoB on VetUK, and everything else was an oral paste - I have tried syringe feeding him and it isn't good, so decided against those. I need to hunt out the SEB, and if not, shall get some from H & B when I am there on Mon
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 22:58:12 PM »
Lacto B, I got it from Vet UK cos it was still cheaper with postage than all the other places. Franta has it in his food and Ducha also cos I need to make sure that Franta gets a dose.

Its says on the tub its a complimantary food!

Very fine white dust and I just mix it into the jelly.

Offline DebbieM

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 19:42:21 PM »
Thanks Mark! We are just back from the vets and they advised he was put on a prescrition diet to see if that helps so I'll hold off with the SEB for now. Hope it tastes nice to him cos he adores his food!  :(

Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash.
That one is the cat.
If man could be crossed with a cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat. -Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 17:18:41 PM »
I used a capsule a day over 2 meals. It is safe so within reason, you can be generous with it. It is about the only thing I could sprinkle on Clapton's food and he still ate it. Mine has the yellow label as well.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline DebbieM

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 14:12:53 PM »
Many thanks to all of you for the info  :) I'm just back from Holland and Barrett and got the one from your link Helen. It has the yellow label. Fingers crossed it does the trick! I'm not going to give him any yet though cos all three of them have apointment at vets tonight for second FeLV vacs. Shhhh, hope they don't read this!  :sneaky:  Don't know if one would affect the other or not but hoping to get them wormed at the same time if poss.  Will wait a while as when he had the first FeLV injection he was off his food and very subdued for a day or two. Got that dreaded task of getting the wriggly ginger ninja into the carrier tonight. :scared: The two girls are a piece of cake compared to him!!!

One more question if I may....how often should I give him a dose and do I use the contents of the whole capsule each time?

It's so great here on this forum....I have learnt so much since being here. It's much better getting advice from others that have actually been there and done that!  :thanks:  :hug:

That one is the cat.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 12:30:51 PM »
My vet once gave me some probiotic powder in sachets for Squeaky.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 11:47:22 AM »
Hi, where can I buy SEB and what form is it in? I have heard good things about this and it might be worth a try with Carra.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

I got mine as capsules in Holland & Barrett - their own brand. Check the ingredients though as some have added nasties like clove oil.

I'm fairly sure this is the one I used to use for Tiggy although the label was yellow - it had no fillers which is the main thing to look for, probably best to buy instore so you can check the label or email them first before ordering. You just pull the capsules apart and sprinkle the powder on something yummy, I used to squeeze the juice out of tuna then add a bit of hot water to dissolve the powder. I've not used it for diarrhoea purposes but had good results when using it for excess stomach acid/nausea due to CRF.

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=417

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 10:49:06 AM »
Hi, where can I buy SEB and what form is it in? I have heard good things about this and it might be worth a try with Carra.

I got mine as capsules in Holland & Barrett - their own brand. Check the ingredients though as some have added nasties like clove oil.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 10:42:07 AM »
I get protexin soluble powder, its like icing sugar dust and dissolves very quickly in food/water, i chose that as a) vetuk didnt sell lacto b at the time and i wouldnt pay postage  :evillaugh: and b) it works out better value as the protexin is a larger tub

Offline DebbieM

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 08:00:47 AM »

That one is the cat.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 07:38:46 AM »
I have some SEB somewhere, might dig it out, but order LactoB as well.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 23:26:54 PM »
Have never used one but Lacto-B and Protexin pro soluble are mentioned alot on here.  There's also Slippery Elm Bark to consider...

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Best probiotic?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 20:54:59 PM »
Just had a thought that if Tino's only side effect from the Vidalta is going to be diarrhea, we might be able to limit that with a probiotic - I am due to order from VetUK tomorrow, what is the best on there - bearing in mind he can be very picky with what he eats, he wouldnt take natural yoghurt last time I tried him, but then he wasn't eating much of anything then.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat