Author Topic: Relieving stress  (Read 2110 times)

Offline lotsofsmoggies

• Adult Cat
Re: Relieving stress
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 16:34:40 PM »
I've just found it cheaper than vet uk too, only 4 poundish cheaper but hey it all counts.

Nothing wrong with buffalo milk as long as it keeps King happy but wouldn't want to have a cup of tea with it, too stuck in my ways.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 14:53:50 PM »
I'm sure that the vet just meant that it calms. It's nothing at all like diazepam (valium). Like others have said, it's not a drug but a supplement that just calms a bit. Cystease works well too. It calms down the urinary tract. I've found Zylkene cheaper than on vet uk by googling.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 14:00:34 PM »
Zylkene is classed as "Nutraceutical" I believe the definition is something that has an effect but isn't a drug. The active ingredient is an extract from buffalo milk  :Crazy:

Thats exactly the word I was looking for, I was searching though my emails from when Jess did the trial but couldn't find it.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 13:14:59 PM »
nothing wrong with buffalo milk!!

Offline lotsofsmoggies

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 13:11:43 PM »
Buffalo milk, nice  :sick: Think the vet must have meant the Zyklene can chill King out like diazepan, but when they say something like that you have visions of junky cats giving you hell if they don't get their fix.  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 12:39:07 PM »
Zylkene is classed as "Nutraceutical" I believe the definition is something that has an effect but isn't a drug. The active ingredient is an extract from buffalo milk  :Crazy:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 12:19:26 PM »
I'm not sure I believe that its like diazepam for cats, as its diazepam isn't something cats can use long term.

You can buy Zylkene off prescription its more of a supplement.

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 11:51:18 AM »
Few drops of Rescue Remedy in the water helped my Vesti chill with his cystitis and a very strict diet on RC Urinary.

Offline lotsofsmoggies

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 11:32:05 AM »
Long term is what I was worried about as the vet discribed the Zyklene as 'diazepan' for cats. I have all ready been converted to vet uk as I was paying out almost £30 a month on 30 cystaid tablets and food for King and the savings from getting it on line is shocking.

King has always been a stressy/nervous cat from the moment he was born (he has always lived with me). I remember sitting in the 'kitten room' and he was about 6 weeks old and he had the biggest hissing,spitting session at a cup you could ever imagine from a kitten. He hates my kids, runs from them (wish I could too sometimes) but he has as he has got older chilled a little. But these tablets are like wow, he almost stayed to have my child touch him. ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 10:46:21 AM »
that is great Leanne and I imagine that the money you save on not having to buy prescription food more than covers the zylkene

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 10:36:16 AM »
One of our boys has a story very similar to yours. Jess is on Zylkene and Cystease.

Jess was involved in trialling Zylkene last April for 3 months. We also had remarkable results so his been on it ever since. I spoke to our VN at work a little while ago as I was concerned about keeping him on these for the long term, and basically we came to the conclusion that its not harming him and its keeping him calm so why interfere. Jess has now been cystitis free for a year (and a day).

Last November we stopped with the urinary food after urine tests showed the PH was no different. So Jess now has felix with 2 tablespoons of water on and a sprinkle or urinary biscuits.

I now buy the Zylkene and Cystease from VetUK as its much cheaper than my vets. I think 100 tablets is around £30 which is about 30p a day, its a price I am happy to pay to ensure we have a destressed cat.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 19:05:29 PM »
Its a small price to pay to keep him happy and the dog with a home, have a look at www.vetuk.co.uk they should be able to save you a few £££'s

I have a cat with idiopathic bladder issues and the only way to keep him healthy is to offer a stable environment with minimal changes, hard work but he is now drug free most of the time  :Luv2:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 17:12:42 PM »
If Zylkene works best, it's a fairly new product and not (yet) price controlled so if you look around on google, you may find it cheaper somewhere. I don't think that feliway and so on work as well as it does anyhow.

Offline lotsofsmoggies

• Adult Cat
Relieving stress
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 17:04:16 PM »
I have a male neutered cat who is going to be 8 in August. He has since the age of 3 had reoccuring urinary tract infections. He has this controlled by cystaid and royal canin dry diet S/D. (I think that is the one). We have had the urine sample taken straight out of the bladder to locate the source of blood cells/bacteria but that came back clear, so did the xrays.

Anyway we had been eposide clear for around a year but I could tell he was always on the brink of another weeing every 5 seconds time. I brought home a dog  :Crazy: he had lived with a dog before and this dog is extremely good with cats. But that was it, pushed over the edge. I took him to the vets thinking it would be another antibotic injection/tablet along with metacam. But a newish qualified vet suggested treating the stress rather than the maybe infection. The wee sample I took he said would be pointless looking at, too much blood. So we went away with a weeks worth of Zylkene. The change in King was amazing from within the first 24 hours he stopped visiting the cat litter tray all the time. He was so relaxed.

So question what could I use to keep him chilled that isn't as expensive as Zylkene? I can't use a feliway diffuser I have a 18 month old son who pulls the airwicks out of the plug sockets for fun.

Link to CatChat