Author Topic: what can i use to stop my cat scratching my leather sofa  (Read 3121 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: what can i use to stop my cat scratching my leather sofa
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 13:54:09 PM »
Perhaps you will read the topic I have just posted in General chatting SSSCAT
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 11:07:51 AM »
I posted this a little while ago, the day oafter our new sofa arrived we got 2 puncture holes and a scratch down the arm chair where Jess had slipped.

And the other weekend he used the side of the arm chair as a scratching post!!!!!!!!!  :Crazy: :'(
(see the I was naughty thread on from the cats mouths)

We've been using no scratch on the sofa which seems to work but I think we just have to face facts that we're bound to get some damage to them  :scared:

ccmacey

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 10:58:36 AM »
Try the repellent, and also spray their cat posts with catnip, they should go for the catnip and stay away from the sofa. I regreted getting a leather sofa cos what the cats have done to it but I think on the other hand if I got a fabric one it would of been much worse off by now. And you know what cats are like they think everything in the house is theirs.

Offline tan160581

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 10:51:20 AM »
I prob shouldnt of got a leather sofa but our old one and i mean old collapsed and was not sitable anymore, teh fabric ones i did like was a 12 week waiting time to i could have it but the leather one was ex display so i could have it the very next day

They have got a giant ceiling high cat scratch post, a normal size one upstairs, a wooden bed i brought them which they have scratched to death and catnip toys and pingpong balls BUTthey seem to think i have brought this for this for them(they saying to me oh wow cool mum thanks)
My cats are very destructive through they have torn up my carpets, scratched my bed and wooden furniture to pieces etc and pulled off my wallpaper, they are indoor cats but have loads of toys to stimulate them and they all play with each other chasing each other up the stairs etc

ccmacey

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 10:40:06 AM »
I wouldn't put throws over them, they like to play hide and pounce from under them. I got some natural pet repellent from a pet shop and rubbed it onto the arms with a cloth, it seemed to do the trick. Oh and some very loud screeching if I saw them try to scratch it.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 09:54:19 AM »
MMM thats a hard one,

Luckily cody who loves scratching does limit this activity to his scratchy posts (or the iron board which now has a ripped to shreds cover  :tired:, also he has been known to reach up and happily use a thigh ... he esp likes jeans to sharpen his claws on LOL)

why can the sticky paws not be used on leather ?? did it give a reason ?

Have you plenty of scratch posts / activity tree etc for them to do this on ?

I'd start cutting their front paw claws on a regular basis, prob every 1 -2 weeks ... codys can be razor sharp in a couple of days after he gets his done. 

Scratching is a form or marking their territory and i recently learned they have scent glands in their front paws so perhaps you should try a feliway diffuser (synthetic feline pheramones) this may help , you get the spray aswell but i cant imagine it would be a good idea to spray that on leather.

you could also get a water mist spray bottle and spray them every time they do it till they hopefully get the idea this is not acceptable behaviour.

Offline tan160581

• Adult Cat
what can i use to stop my cat scratching my leather sofa
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 09:33:28 AM »
I have just brought a leather sofa, how can i stop them scratching it, i did cover it but they thought that was a wondeful game and one would go under teh cover while the other would be on top trying to kill the cat under the blanket
i was going to buy CAT PAWS AWAY STICKY STOP CAT SCRATCHING FURNITURE but it said not to be used on leather  anyideas would be appreciated

Link to CatChat