Author Topic: Cat food prices..  (Read 4818 times)

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
Re: Cat food prices..
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2009, 12:06:38 PM »
Ours are picky about brand but will eat tinned food and pouches of a brand they like with the same vigour.

Predictably, they LOVE the expensive pouches like Science Plan and the expensive applaws tins  :innocent: but also are crazzzzyyy for Felix at the moment - god forbid I stick to the same food for too long though  :evillaugh:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2009, 09:48:08 AM »
my lot won't eat from tins (well only applaws!) but I buy felix tins for mums cat

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2009, 09:10:24 AM »
I got felix tins in PAH yesterday - the tins singular in the 7 for price of 6 offer work out better than buying the 12 can multipack - I got 14 cans for about 30p more than the 12 can multipack.

I must admit I think its alot more cost effective to buy tins rather than pouches as 1 pouch = 100g and 1 tin = 400g. Those of you who buy pouches and have a few kitties, is it for freshness? Or your cats preference? (Pouch meat pieces are smaller aren't they?)

We used to get the pouches alot but moved to tins for better value  ;D
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2009, 08:27:57 AM »
Gill, do you have a Range (Garden Centre) near you, they do 30l bags of cat litter, I didn't look at the price on Sun though
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2009, 23:30:37 PM »
If I wasn't veggie, I'd seriously consider buying a load of offal from the local butcher and boiling it. The way prices are going, it might even be cheaper to feed them chicken!

No need to boil - just serve!

Think I may be  :sick:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2009, 22:49:58 PM »
If I wasn't veggie, I'd seriously consider buying a load of offal from the local butcher and boiling it. The way prices are going, it might even be cheaper to feed them chicken!

No need to boil - just serve!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2009, 19:40:01 PM »
out with the calculator then :'(

it was a lot easier when I was a nipper - it was the original KiteKat or nothing - anyone remember the horror of being nuzzled by a cat which had just eaten some?  :sick:

I remember that - it was like fish paste  :sick: - our cat got fed that and raw melts (offal) + bit of fish etc.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 19:03:56 PM »
Yes MM but nothing there for me I am afraid....my eyes did light up cos saw Technical biscuits but they are very expensive!

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 19:01:01 PM »
out with the calculator then :'(

it was a lot easier when I was a nipper - it was the original KiteKat or nothing - anyone remember the horror of being nuzzled by a cat which had just eaten some?  :sick:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 18:42:16 PM »
Their maths is not the greatest Trigger, i notice a lot that are wrong!

Gill, have you looked at pet planet? They have spend £29 and get free delivery and unlike zooplus they package things nicely  ;D
http://www.petplanet.co.uk/

Offline Kally

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Chiana and Salem
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 17:57:12 PM »
were lucky as we have local pet suppliers and they wont buy things like whickas or kitekat unless its cheap enough as they dont want to charge the customers over the odds and they dont charge delivery
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 12:15:25 PM by Kally »
The world is a dark place because of negativity so lets brighten it up with some possitivity

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 17:43:41 PM »
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/porta_cat_food  Gill

I like the zooplus site because the price per 100 gms is given for all foods, so comparison is easy

Porta21 is 0.44p per 100gms, which I think is good for a food without cereal or rice
Robert A. Heinlein:

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 17:10:34 PM »
I was in Asda today and thankfully the hi life essentials small tins haven't gone up - still 25p for 4.

Is that the right price?  What size tins?

Oops!  Definitely not 4 for 25p!  If only....  I meant 4 for £1 so 25p each.  Most places sell them for about 34p each but Asda seem to have been selling them for 25p each for as long as I've been buying them.  I hope they don't put them up because Mosi loves the tins of pate and they work out cheaper than a box of felix et al.  The pouches go down well with both of them too.

Tbh, I haven't noticed price increases as I buy most of my food from zooplus and my orders are usually several months apart so I tend not to remember what the previous price was.  Luckily there's not much wastage here as they pretty much eat what they are given.

I even got some sainsburys food given to me at work the other day (a box of 12 foil trays of one variety and a box containing 11 foil trays of something else) because the cat they were bought for wont' eat them. 

I guess this means we need to keep our eyes peeled for bargains more than ever.  I notice that waitrose/ocado are selling felix AGAIL (inc senior) at 3 for £9 so I think I will stock up on that for Jaffa while it's on offer.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 16:47:01 PM »
I chuck so much food its stupid!

The only one who cleans the dishes is the visitor cat!

I have not seen that food Trigger, where does it come from and how much does it cost?

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2009, 15:36:19 PM »
my two fussies pussies have taken to Porta21 chicken food, which has no cereal additiives - they have always refused to eat fresh chicken so why they like it is a mystery - I have been giving them half a tin a day (200gms) between them, and their former favourite, Felix As Good as It Looks is suddenly no good at all

but I notice they are eating less dry food now - perhaps because this Porta has a much higher  meat content, so  overall I reckon I am spending less for better quality food
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 14:02:20 PM »
Hmmm I thought it was just me, but obviously not. I just wish I could purchase the food my cats like to eat without any wastage. With multipacks you can't. And the manufactures will insist on putting a beef product in which just gets left. Not sure how these companies do taste tests, but my six cuties could teach them a thing or two.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 13:07:36 PM »
Felix fish pouches are 3.52 and poultry about 3.70 plus in Tescoes now!

No its OK Indy cos P&P is astonomically high cos of the weight but  :thanks:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 12:06:56 PM »
It's going up - the cat meat all four of mine will eat went up by £2.00 in Tescos in the space of a week! I am currently trying to find a reasonably priced, decent meat that none of them will turn their noses up at!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 09:51:32 AM »
The Asda Tiger range has also gone up and is continuing to do so. I wonder if it would be worth contacting the manufacturers for an explanation.

I don't think they care. They will probably just say it is due to increased costs. They have also discontinued Tiger Senior wet pouches AFAIK.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 09:49:30 AM »
I think they will probably say that feed prices have gone up for the animals involved - I think grain has gone up a lot in the last year

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 09:00:00 AM »
The Asda Tiger range has also gone up and is continuing to do so. I wonder if it would be worth contacting the manufacturers for an explanation.

Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 07:13:46 AM »
Everything has gone up. It seems like Felix & Whiskas has been on offer somewhere or other for over a year but prior to this, a box of pouches was about £2.50. Now they seem to be 2 for £5 on offer and about £3.25 normal price. This used to be the price of specials like AGAIL. Even PAH premium dry used ot be £7.99 last year and now it is £9.24. Science Plan was about £12 and now it is £15

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 01:16:58 AM »
Gill will ask how much shipping is if you like? I get it from my local market

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 01:14:57 AM »
Og well sigh, I cant get that then.

Am having probs getting my normal litter which is a wood pellet one cos my pet shop suppliers cant get it and have tried emailing the company and ringing them and cant get an answer. They said they would ring me back but havent and am running out of litter again grrrrrrrrrrr.

Too expensive to buy online and one idiot company wanted over £23 for a 30 litre bag and that was before postage!

All others have staggering postage so is pushing it up to £15- £20 a bag which is crazy.

I need a decent wood pellet litter in a 30 litre bag, I know none are as good as Smar5 cat but need the next best with a price I can affoprd and somewhere I can collect them from

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 01:06:33 AM »
is a wooden pellet one... Best Pets

and I was wrong, is 30litres for £5 from my local market

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 01:00:13 AM »
What litter is that Indy?

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 00:55:31 AM »
Mabel loves Cuisine tinned food and PAH had it on 2 packs of 12 for £7!!! she gets a 3rd of a tin a day with dry... Tescos Premium Dry at £1.20 ish per box

Litter I get a 15 litre bag for £5

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 00:37:52 AM »
I was shocked to see Catsan has gone up in Tescos by such a large increase. It was £7.49 for a 20L bag, went upto £9.49 and now its at £10.29. This is within a matter of weeks! I refuse to pay that and so have had to move to a cheeper litter  >:(

I dont get away with buying cheeper food tho, my lot wont eat the normal Felix so am usually left buying boxes of Gourmet at neary £5 each  :shocked:

I should remind them that we are not living in Buckingham Palace  :evillaugh:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 00:29:07 AM »
I was in Asda today and thankfully the hi life essentials small tins haven't gone up - still 25p for 4.

Is that the right price?  What size tins?

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 00:26:31 AM »
Felix AGAIL and Mixed selection 48 pouch boxes are back on the 2 for £20 offer at PAH, so will be down thier again in the next few days for a buying session!

It annoys the hell outta me that Whiskas is always on offer- i can't feed it......Z is allergic....We need more Felix offers!

And someone please spare me from IAMS offers- the stuff is bilge!  >:(

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 00:01:51 AM »
I was in Asda today and thankfully the hi life essentials small tins haven't gone up - still 25p for 4 - and the pouches are the same price - £2.82 for 12.  I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they put the prices up though as they have been at those prices for as long as I can remember.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 23:58:51 PM »
Tescoes is the same for Felix and other foods. Whiskers seems to be permanently on offer but felix hasnt been for months and not this year.

The felix boxes of 12 pouches in jelly are even selling at different prices and the poultry is 20 p more than the fish!

So it now costs over £7 for two boxes of pouches which only last here for 4-5 days...........so either you dont feed the cats or you dont eat!

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
Cat food prices..
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 21:48:58 PM »
Hi guys, is it me or are cat food prices going up? Went to Asda's Friday where I buy a variety of food Whiskas temptations were 78p today £1.18 Sheba tuna and prawn were 54p today 68p Weblicks chew things were 98p now £1.18 I also normally buy a 48 sachet box of Whiskas for around £10.50 this has now gone up to £12.50 Out of this box none of my 6 cats will eat the beef so all of these go into the charity box @ PAH. But if my memory is correct the cat food prices have already gone up over in the last year, so I can't really see any justification in this rise. The only other thing I noticed was, was that none of the produce had moved of the shelf today, so people will either shop elsewhere or feed a shops own brand product or if prices keep rising more and more cats will end up having to fend for themselves. So how do you rescues cope with higher food prices and I guess with the current financial climate fewer donations?

Link to CatChat