Author Topic: Help please - kittens!  (Read 3126 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Help please - kittens!
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2009, 19:34:32 PM »
 :hug: only just caught up with this, so sorry  :'(

godbless little kitties xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 19:32:41 PM »
 :hug: :hug: You did your best

Offline CarmenCole

• Adult Cat
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 21:23:12 PM »
Thank you everyone
 :'( :'( :'(
Carmen x

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 21:02:11 PM »
Poor babies.  RIP little ones

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 20:54:27 PM »
Oh no. :( RIP Little ones - you came and went too soon.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 21:36:30 PM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 15:19:57 PM »
AWWWW how sad  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( God bless all 5 babies xxxxxx

:hug: to you you did your best - poor little babes

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 15:03:13 PM »
poor little babes, still you did your best, has she had all the litters in quick sucession, maybe her body just wasn't up to it?

Offline CarmenCole

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 15:01:52 PM »
Black has gone too. :(
Carmen x

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 07:19:33 AM »
oh no  :'(

that is so sad  :'(
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline CarmenCole

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 07:16:40 AM »
Ginger passed away at 5.30 this morning after a hard night.  Black is refusing to take milk now and his little body is spasming.  He's dying.  :(
Carmen x

Offline CarmenCole

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 22:57:45 PM »
She has been repeatedly taking them off the heatpad and putting them in the cold today.  On advice from the vet, she has gone back to her owner while I try to handrear the kittens.  The blue on was very weak and had to have another injection of glucose and fluids this evening, she passed away about 10 minutes ago.  :(

The kittens were born at 7½ weeks gestation, she wasn't ready for them.  Something obviously made her go into premature labour and she knew they were weak.  :'(
Carmen x

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 18:02:13 PM »
Oh no, that's a turnaround - maybe she's had enough of being a mum. Hope you can help them.

Offline CarmenCole

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 15:55:30 PM »
I went back and checked this morning, the first 2 that she turned away from passed away in the night.  She is also refusing to feed the other 3.  I have taken them all to the vet, Bib is stressy and is rejecting them.  I have been feeding Cimicat and they had sub-cut fluids and glucose.  The bigger 2 are taking 1ml of milk, the little one is only having ½ml, every 2 hours.  They are all weeing and opening bowels and are wriggling around much more.  Their skin goes back after pinching it, so they are hydrated again.  Bib is taking more interest, cleaning them, but still not feeding.

I've got them in our bedroom, away from the other animals and children, hoping that she will take to them.
Carmen x

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 15:48:33 PM »
Glad everything's OK. :)

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 13:25:44 PM »
Lovely news, hope they all do well, good on you for helping and caring  :hug:

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 23:16:21 PM »
awww  :Luv2: glad they are all fine
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 23:10:19 PM »
Great news  :)
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 23:06:19 PM »
Aw great news that she and the kittens are doing well  :Luv2:

Offline CarmenCole

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 23:03:27 PM »
I managed to get some help on another forum, from a vet who gave me step by step instructions.

Bib was still in labour and the 5th kitten was taking his time.  Fortunately he came 3 hours after the other 4, so she was cutting it a bit fine.  Of course, now I know her milk hadn't come through as she hadn't delivered all her placentas, and once she had done so, she got feeding.  All 5 kittens are warm, fed and happy.  Mum has got up, had a walk around upstairs, eaten, had water and requested a huge fuss from every human in sight before going back to her babies.
Carmen x

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 21:22:16 PM »
I think if this is her third litter she pretty much knows what she is doing and is best left to decide where she wants them etc.  I am sure when you go back up there she would have let the babies suckle and I think the best thing for mum and kittens is privacy at this time.

Let us know how they are when you get back up there.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline CarmenCole

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 18:57:14 PM »
Thanks everyone

I'm going back up there in a while to make sure they are feeding etc.  She is on Oldhill area.

The history with this cat is a little complicated, she has been pushed from pillar to post for a while, she originally belonged to my niece.  She wasn't the best pet owner and literally dumped Bib, her kitten and another 3 kittens from another litter on my doorstep.  She had alowed Bib to have 2 litters, so this is her 3rd. >:(  I privately fostered the 5 and found homes for them.  My cat is the runt of the younger group.

Unfortunately Bib and her kitten have not yet been neutered and obviously Bib has gotten outside and had a rendezvous.  There is no point in placing the blame on anyone, what is done is done, and now I will help my friend.  She has definitely learned the benefits of neutering this evening, and has asked me to book the older kitten in for her spay next week.

I am concerned as she hadn't suckled.  How long before the kittens need to feed?  Should I panic if I go back up there in ½hr and find they haven't fed?  What are their chances of survival if I need to intervene?  Will she move them into a warmer area if needed?  I know I shouldn't move them, it's her prerogative, but we have placed some blankets around her and the kittens.  I'll stick a heatpad in the blankets for her, then she can move if she choses.
Carmen x

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 18:00:22 PM »
If she is a first time mum she may get confused and not want to accept them.  I had one mum who did not know what on earth was going on and did accidently kill one of her babies early on by squashing it.

If she seems to be caring for them, cleaning them and they are managing to suckle, leave well alone.  If they are not feeding or mother is ignoring them or trying to get away from them, then intervention is needed.

If they feel cold, try and at least put a warm towel (from the airing cupbaord?) in with them but be aware if you try and do too much mum may well try and move them - at this early stage they do not like to be told where to be, they like to choose their nest, no matter how unsuitable it may be.

What area is your friend in?
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 17:54:16 PM »
Carmen, can your friend get in touch with a vet? Sometimes females can have health issues after giving birth. Keep the kittens warm if possible - is she showing no interest in them?

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 17:54:10 PM »
Surely your friend knew the cat was expecting, so should of gotton herself prepaired!

I think its best to leave the mother and kittens alone, she should do everything herself. The only time to intervine is if the kittens get stuck during labour. Your friend should also call the vets just to be sure.

The mother cat will be more used to your friend so if anyone is going to handle them, it should really be her.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline CarmenCole

• Adult Cat
Help please - kittens!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 16:36:41 PM »
Hi everyone

My friend has just called me in a right state.  Her cat has had 4 kittens.  She is in an empty drawer, with the 4 babies.  She had turned halfway through delivery, so 2 were stuck down behind her and she was not aknowledging them.  I am at my friend's house right now, I rubbed placental/amniotic fluid on my hands and moved the kittens round to her front.  She has now licked them all and has cleaned herself.  She settled down to sleep but is lying on one, with another right over by her feet.  I'm worried that the kittens may be too cold, she has not nursed them yet, but they are all wriggling around lots and mewling.

I'm not sure what to do!  I'm going to go home now and feed my children, get changed and come back.  If you can give me any advice, I'd really appreciate it.

Can we move them on to a warm towel?  Should I stick a snugglesafe heatpad nearby to give them some warmth.  I'll get some mother-cat food and will be online either here or back at home, so will read any responses asap.

Thank you in advance!  :Crazy:
Carmen x

Link to CatChat