Author Topic: You have to question why some vets became vets  (Read 3930 times)

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
Re: You have to question why some vets became vets
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2009, 16:34:51 PM »
the residential home where my father in law is has a resident cat.  don't know who's it is but its always wandering around.  The old folk love it and its very well fed (from their tables) as you can imagine.

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2009, 16:12:13 PM »
On the residential home issue, I really applaud homes that allow animals. When my father had to move into a nursing home we were very lucky in finding a home who were fine with him bringing his elderly cat with him. Arthur became a real favorite with the other residents. He lived to 24 and very nearly outlived Dad! I wish more homes would do it- whilst I understand the difficulties, its terrible to seperate someone from their companion and I'm certain Arthur kept Dad going for longer than he would have done otherwise.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2009, 19:25:52 PM »
Just to claify the vets where not one we use but do know of.. They are a veterinary hospital in the Thanet area.. The cat was ill and the lady genuine.. I rang her back.. she had recently lost income due to illness was on benefit etc, etc.. but there isnt a pdsa in her area and she didnt drive. The nearest pdsa was over 30miles away.. so no hope.. Eventually the vets worked out a payment plan and the cat was booked in the same day.. She was deverstated to say the least. but its the second call have had like this in a few months.  both not in our area.

Now something interesting.. our vets (for CP use only) do charge us a PTS charge, but from one vet to the next there is around 30 quid difference.. Why is that?  We never ask for anything else afterwards as i suppose we have to spend our money and donations on the living and not the ones we have lost...and most of the poor cats that never make it are strays. So if a cat is owned obv its your own choice on what you wish to do to remember puss cat.. .. I find the difference in charges quite astounding .....

Anyhow i feel for this lady and others.. but we do get told so many white lies that sometimes you loose the ability to be compassionate, but this lady was genuine and i tried what i could to help even though she wasnt in our area.. no one else including the rspca had got back to her with any advice.. Some times i just wonder.... if even us as a rescue find it difficult to get hold of another rescue you can see the problems the public have and loose faith in things..
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2009, 18:28:34 PM »
Agree with the above comments, but it does make me wonder why people dont' plan for this kind of thing (vet treatment) in advance.  If she can't afford the pts fee, surely the lady would be eligible for pdsa?  How much does it cost for pts?  Can't be a lot.  I would have hoped that most people would be able to borrow that amount from a relative or friend.  How is this lady managing to pay for food etc?

If she is in some sort of residential home and not getting housing benefit (OP said she was disabled) then the PDSA wouldn't help her. :(

If she was in a residential home, I'd be very surprised if she was allowed to have a cat, although I guess a few do allow pets.

I dont' mean to be mean or to disagree with the sentiments already expressed, I'm just thinking that the actual fee to pts a cat can't be a lot so if that was the only thing beyond her financial means (excluding the cost of her cat's treatment in general), I do wonder how she could afford to feed, worm, de-flea... etc.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2009, 16:01:05 PM »
Have to say we have had and now have wonderful compassionate vets who have been with us through the laughter and tears with all the cats and dogs who are in the Clan and we have only ever been asked once by a vets receptionist for money and the managing Partner blew his nut - Moose had died in my arms on the way to the vet and we took him to verufy what we knew and to arrange for his cremation

Now our vets know that we always pay but not at the time somehow its never easy and we both take every loss very badly and need time to compose ourselves
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline ronandcats

• Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 15:43:54 PM »
If we pick up cats from a RTA and our vet will  P.I.T.S if its suffering with no charge, not all vets are the same thank God.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 14:42:26 PM »
I agree MM but surely they can't make hard & fast rules. I don't think this was just a chav trying not to pay.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 17:52:48 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 12:43:27 PM »
The vet was wrong to potentially hold off and prolong suffering but theres no way euthanasia should be paid by the vets or by other people paying more, vet costs are something people need to realise they are responsible for, its not for those that plan ahead to pay more so that others dont need to worry  :shocked:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 09:54:37 AM »
Good grief, that's a whole new level of a lack of compassion. The vets in this area charge minimal amounts for that particular part of their job as far as I'm aware. (To be honest, when it gets to that with any of my furbabes I'm never coherent enough to remember.)

Hope the lady is OK and her cat passed peacefully.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 09:10:39 AM »
my vet is another one that doesnt charge on the day for putting to sleep.  when you're ready, they say.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline woodlandcats

• Hero Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 09:05:20 AM »
My daughter was like 14 and her hamster was sick, she took it to the vet and it was put to sleep. The vet charged her the  normal cost. Good heavens, to a child!!! And what dose you need for a hamster!!!
Every life should have 9 cats

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 08:40:05 AM »
Agree with the above comments, but it does make me wonder why people dont' plan for this kind of thing (vet treatment) in advance.  If she can't afford the pts fee, surely the lady would be eligible for pdsa?  How much does it cost for pts?  Can't be a lot.  I would have hoped that most people would be able to borrow that amount from a relative or friend.  How is this lady managing to pay for food etc?

If she is in some sort of residential home and not getting housing benefit (OP said she was disabled) then the PDSA wouldn't help her. :(
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 08:40:23 AM by Beth »

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 08:28:01 AM »

Catbird

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 07:48:52 AM »
When I had to have my lovely ratties PTS, the vet refused to take a payment then and there on both occasions.  About a week later, I received a sympathy card and the bill.  That's a Gold Standard service!

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009, 00:24:54 AM »
What a  :censored:

When we had to have Sasha pts we didn't even think about paying.  It wasn't until a month later when we got a bill in from them that I remembered that we hadn't paid.

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 00:22:18 AM »
Good grief.

Glad it got sorted, but how heartless can you be?

I'm more and more grateful for our compassionate vets - when Edward was put to sleep they said just to sort out payment when we felt up to it, and they never chased once, even though there was a call out fee and cremation bill to be added.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 22:32:54 PM »
I assume their bigges cost is "disposal" so they could insist on collection. I think this vet is heartless and luckily not one we have to deal with.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 22:19:13 PM »
I actually think all PTS should be free !!
Vets can make up the cost of the injection somewhere else in the high prices they already charge for everything  :censored:

I'd never thought about it before, but i agree with you, if it'd mean that animals stop suffering needlessly then it'd be a great move.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 22:11:36 PM »
I actually think all PTS should be free !!
Vets can make up the cost of the injection somewhere else in the high prices they already charge for everything  :censored:

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 20:44:42 PM »
Thats appalling!!!!! >:(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 19:06:03 PM »
i think thats truely awful.......poor lady and her cat

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 18:30:40 PM »
What a sad situation  :(
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 18:28:30 PM »
That's what I thought but obviously they saw it differently. This is where the RSPCA should help - but we all know how useful ch0c0late teapots are  :tired:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 18:31:46 PM by Mark »

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 18:22:40 PM »
I thought they were under a legal duty to prevent suffering, surely they couldn't refuse to PTS if it was the only suitable way to do this? 

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 18:08:19 PM »
They obviously had none to start with to hold a dying cat to ransom  :(

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 18:04:08 PM »
that is awful, you'd think they'd stretch their compassion to include the owner  :(
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Beth

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 18:00:35 PM »
Oh that's just awful :'( That poor owner and poor cat. :(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
You have to question why some vets became vets
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 17:58:15 PM »
There was a call on the line today. A lady phoned. She is disabled and sick. She was upset as her cat is at the vet terminally ill and her vet had advised PTS. However, she didn't have the money. She had tried  :bum: PCA and Blue Cross with no luck. Sharon spoke to the vets (who aren't one we use) and persuaded them to arrange a payment plan  :( - How sad is it when a vet can't make an exception to relieve a cat from suffering?

PS - I'm sure if the vet hadn't agreed the payment plan Sharon would have sorted something out but very limited funds have to be managed  :(

It does make you wonder. Surely a dose of Barbs must cost pennies?  >:( - The lady cried on the phone with Sharon  :'(
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 17:59:23 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat