Author Topic: Paralysed cats - cruel or kind?  (Read 3655 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Paralysed cats - cruel or kind?
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2009, 16:34:21 PM »
I think it depends on the individual and how well they are able to adapt.  Some would probably be so stressed by it that it would be cruel to keep them alive like that.  Others may adapt and have a good quality of life.  I wouldn't like to say a blanket yes or no.

I agree
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2009, 16:32:25 PM »
I think it depends on the individual and how well they are able to adapt.  Some would probably be so stressed by it that it would be cruel to keep them alive like that.  Others may adapt and have a good quality of life.  I wouldn't like to say a blanket yes or no.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 18:31:19 PM »
If you haven't watch it on Ebonys thread in R+R this videa (all 9 mins) is about the care of Pookie. They have ramps in the house, have tried wheels but don't rate them.

http://stanford.wellsphere.com/externalView.s?evType=Video&evHeight=280&evParent=%2fvideoSort.s%3fsearchTerm%3dParalysis%2bCats&evTarget=http%3a%2f%2fwww.youtube.com%2fv%2fQdIBtw8_7No%26fs%3d1%26hl%3den%26source%3duds%26autoplay%3d1&evTitle=Pookie%3a+How+we+care+for+our+paralyzed+cat

As far as Ebony goes, she is not incontinent (most of the time!) and has been like this for a while as her muscles have gone. At the moment pain relief and the acupuncture and trying to get her to use her legs is the way to go (and she does move a great deal!).

I put her in the garden yesterday in the sun thinking she would be safe 'cos of the pation stud wall but she immediately tried to hoist herself over it so had to sit in a pen in the garden for an hour instead.

That is bloody brilliant  :Luv2:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 13:03:57 PM »
That cat is just amazing and the other cat that looks after it , also.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 09:27:43 AM »
If you haven't watch it on Ebonys thread in R+R this videa (all 9 mins) is about the care of Pookie. They have ramps in the house, have tried wheels but don't rate them.

http://stanford.wellsphere.com/externalView.s?evType=Video&evHeight=280&evParent=%2fvideoSort.s%3fsearchTerm%3dParalysis%2bCats&evTarget=http%3a%2f%2fwww.youtube.com%2fv%2fQdIBtw8_7No%26fs%3d1%26hl%3den%26source%3duds%26autoplay%3d1&evTitle=Pookie%3a+How+we+care+for+our+paralyzed+cat

As far as Ebony goes, she is not incontinent (most of the time!) and has been like this for a while as her muscles have gone. At the moment pain relief and the acupuncture and trying to get her to use her legs is the way to go (and she does move a great deal!).

I put her in the garden yesterday in the sun thinking she would be safe 'cos of the pation stud wall but she immediately tried to hoist herself over it so had to sit in a pen in the garden for an hour instead.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 08:20:50 AM »
i dont have time to watch the video, but I wouldnt go down the wheels route on any of my cats - my two spend the bulk of their time on my bed, and wheels would prevent that - plus the carrying it round, unless they are very light, that is putting more of a strain on their other legs and heart. And as for nappies on pets, no way, that isn't natural - mind you, I couldnt do with Molly, I can only touch her on her terms, nail clipping and flea/worming is hard enough with her. I think it is a lot different for dogs than cats.
Please spay your cat

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 22:59:41 PM »
I'd say there are no blanket rules.

It depends on what and where the problem is, and how severe.  And on top of that it depends on the personality of the actual cat.  Some may be perfectly happy, and adapt really well, and find ways to do what it wants - others will be miserable.

One friend lost her old cat a short while ago - she'd had one paralysed back leg for a couple of years, but adapted well and was perfectly happy, and managed to find ways to do what she needed to to get around (lateral thinking for cats?).

I can imagine others would just sit there and get more and more depressed and frustrated.

They're not really that different than people in that respect (that some will cope & others won't, I mean).

But I'd say that really only the owner will know for sure, because only they will really know if the quality of life is up to scratch.

And you'd have to observe any animal to see how it's doing before making the decision either way, and give it some real time to see if s/he adjusts or not.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 22:16:23 PM »
I haven't watched it yet but it depends on the cat and also how dedicated the carers are really? - Alice barely moves from her bed but Willow tears around the house.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 20:45:15 PM »
I think it all depends on each individual case, but I'd have to say in general cats are very active and I'm not sure quite how in keeping with their nature they could be with that kind of health issue. The cat in the video does indeed seem content, though.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 20:42:36 PM »
I just hope I would have the courage not to go down that road   
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 20:37:43 PM »
The video shows playtime but not the whole picture

I agree with this - a few minutes playtime is entirely different to living with a condition like this 24/7.  What quality of life does the cat have most of the time - it can drag itself around a tiled floor easily enough but can it get itself to a comfortable sleeping spot?  Does it get 'carpet burn' if it tries to move anywhere off a tiled floor?  Can it get onto and off things on its own, get to its bowl, food etc any time it wants?  Can it decide where it would like to go and when (within reason), and be able to get there?  Can it even get itself into or onto a cosy cat bed?  Is it in any discomfort or pain at any time?  There are so many things that a little clip like this just can't tell you.  Personally I have doubts about the quality of life that a seriously, permanently paralysed cat could have.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 20:26:09 PM »
Well the cat in that video looks happy  :Luv:

I am going to say that as long as the cat is happy i dont have a problem with it.
There are plenty of cats with other problems that are kept going when really they should be put to sleep x

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 19:53:43 PM »
well this is the thing, he probably would've been ideal cat as far as coping goes.  he just loved to sleep and have cuddles, that was it.  i would imagine that most of my other cats wouldn't be happy at all.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 19:48:11 PM »
MM is right BM and Franta wouldnt adjust to having a bandage on his paw with a catherter in it for a couple of days...the fuss he made!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 19:45:57 PM »
Dont feel like that way BM, many cats wouldnt adapt to such a life. The video shows playtime but not the whole picture

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 19:39:42 PM »
you're probably right Gill, he'd have had to have had his amputated. i don'tknow how i'd have kept a nappy on him.

one day i might be strong enough to tell Ovis' story but even though it's 5 years ago it's still too raw and i still have a lot of guilt feelings to deal with.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 19:42:16 PM by Bonkers Mad!!! »
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 19:38:20 PM »
Dont be sad cos even with a bit more knowledge it may not have been possible for him  :hug: :hug:

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 19:37:11 PM »
the cat in the video looks perfectly happy to me  :Luv:

makes me a bit sad, if i'd known that a cat could be happy with only 2 legs i definitely wouldnt have had my Ovis pts.

I would watch the vidoe MM cos dont think its what you expect.

it made me smile, definitely a happy and well loved cat.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 19:38:18 PM by Bonkers Mad!!! »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 19:34:45 PM »
I would watch the vidoe MM cos dont think its what you expect.

I think you have to view each case on its merits and no blanket rule applies.

I am not voting cos I cant say yes or no and would need to weigh up all the pros and cons on a case by case basis.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 19:27:24 PM »
i think it depends entirely on the quality of life.  if the animal is unhappy then that should be the main consideration.

that would be my view as well.  take each case on its own merits but certainly still give her time to heal before making a decision in any direction.
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 19:25:54 PM »
i think it depends entirely on the quality of life.  if the animal is unhappy then that should be the main consideration.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 19:23:55 PM »
Its one of those emotive subjects so i hope nobody gets offended.
I havnt watched the video but when it comes down to it i wouldnt attach wheels to any of my animals and i wouldnt leave them bed bound if there was no chance of getting better. To me quality of life isnt laying around not being able to do anything  :(

In regards to your newest arrival its very early days, i wouldnt be calling it without giving her time to heal, nerve damage takes a long time to fix  :hug:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
Paralysed cats - cruel or kind?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 19:02:44 PM »
Any more options? will add if not much voting has occurred.

check out http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=32664

before casting your vote.

Link to CatChat