Author Topic: Mollys been spayed - she's ok and a query on laryngitis  (Read 1288 times)

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
Re: Mollys been spayed - she's ok and a query on laryngitis
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 16:47:24 PM »
I queried the spaying cost with the vet this morning, it turns out a spaying at our vets costs around £55, but the vets do spaying cheaper for the charity we at a reduced price of £32 - so our half of the spaying bill was only £16!

We took the boys to the vets this afternoon to get them checked out (we thought better safe than sorry). Jasper has got the viral bug longer, and his throat is infected. He's now on a course of penicilin for a week. Sully has only had the bug for a couple of days, and his throat is not that bad, so he's had an anti-inflamatory injection.

We need to just keep an eye on Sully and if he starts to show the same symptoms to start him off on the same tablets we've got for Jasper (as the vet has given us slightly more tablets).

... and to top it off my husband and I were at the dentist today having fillings done each ... certainly a day for it!!!  :rofl:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 00:29:30 AM »
Glad Molly's op went well  :) Sounds like the £28 was for half the cost as my vet charges £65 for a flank spey and £95 for midline.  Unless £28 is the going rate the vet charges the charity and they meant for you to cover half of it?

Offline BlueHeather

• Adult Cat
  • That's Mr CATTITUDE to you pal
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 21:53:10 PM »
Our vets charged us £38 for the boys x two  ;)

Spaying was on the price list as £60 .............................. yikessssss
Dogs castration was £100  :wow:
Cats leave paw prints on your heart

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 20:38:23 PM »
That makes me feel a bit better - as where we got Molly from (well officially she's ours on Friday) they're a charity (though not the RSPCA I might add) and we agreed that we'd go halves with them - but we could had sworn we were told the total prices was around £28 - will double-check with the vets in the morning.

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 20:30:49 PM »
blimey £28 sounds dirt cheap to me.  my vet charges £55 for spaying and £40 for castrating
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 20:27:48 PM »
Blueheather you made me laugh with your 'look mummy' comment  :rofl:

Molly is running about, chasing one of our other cats. She's not wearing a lampshade, the vets said to keep an eye on it and if she starts to lick the stitche too much she'll need one - I hope she doesnt mind! Taking her in Monday night for them to check how the stitches are healing up, and then in 2 weeks from now they'll be coming out.

Whilst at the vets we did ask about the boys and the laryngitis - they said to keep an eye on them for the time being as we said they're eating and drinking as normal - they said if either go abnormal to give them a call and get them booked in.

Btw - does anyone know how much a spaying costs ... we were charged nearly £28 - is that cheap or the going rate??

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 18:42:45 PM »
pleased Molly is ok  :)
not sure about the throat but hope the vet can give you something for them or put your mind at ease.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 18:45:49 PM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline BlueHeather

• Adult Cat
  • That's Mr CATTITUDE to you pal
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 15:53:48 PM »
My two boys were castrated yesterday - came home full of beans - hard to believe they had been put under.

Funny thing is though Levi keep strutting with his trail held up as if to say look Mum no b***s  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Cats leave paw prints on your heart

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 14:34:15 PM »
My Raffiki had laryngitis when he was about 7 months old and went right off his food - he had 2 jabs and was fine about 5 days later.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
Mollys been spayed - she's ok and a query on laryngitis
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 14:09:10 PM »
We took our kitten Molly in to be spayed this morning. We've heard she's fine and we're picking her up tonight after I leave work. We're glad she was able to be spayed as on Tuesday night we had to take her to the vets as she had been peeing ALOT on the duvet, and blood was present.

The vet said that the peeing was down to her having been in heat, and that it was the female hormones causing her to want to pee ... and lots of it - they said once she's spayed the urge to pee like that will stop - we hope so as I'm not too sure how many times our poor duvet can handle being washed  :rofl:

The blood was apparently down to her being her first heat cycle and her 'brother' Jasper being rather friendly - the vet said she thinks he wasnt necessarily 'rough' with her, but being her first time she was just rather sore and bled due to it.

We may however have to make another trip on Friday - but with our 2 boys.

My husband and I have both had a pretty nasty viral bug the last couple of weeks - I'm still not completely over it as my throat is not right.

We noticed that Jasper was very quiet vocally and not purring - but when he did try and purr he looked like he was trying to cough. He's now purring, but still cant miaow, however, last night Sully went to miaow, but no miaow came out!

I dare say we'll get asked to bring them in, but have read that if it's a bug that some vets say for it to run it's natural course - as I certainly couldnt had got anything from the doctor for the same kind of problem.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 14:11:31 PM by scattycat »

Link to CatChat