Author Topic: In a quandary over a cat that needs help....  (Read 2487 times)

Offline **TINA**

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: All of my 7 furkids :o)
Re: In a quandary over a cat that needs help....
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 23:13:48 PM »
Sounds to me neglect, so i would just take the cat if i was in a position to do so.

Poor baby, cold, hungry & scared  :'(

People really  :censored:.  The  :censored: :censored:
Cats ... Pod, Rolo, Flora, Peaches & Ziggy
and
English Bull Terriers...  Lola & Tom

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 22:59:29 PM »
I know you're all right....

And deep down I know that if you have pets and don't take care of them, you effectively lose (or should lose) the right to keep them.

Still waiting on the friend to get back to us - as I said, it's got to be up to them, as they'd be the ones doing the deed, but we're definitely up for it now.

Fingers crossed that friend gets over the same sort of second thoughts that I've been having the last 24 hrs, and can face napping her!

Of cats I've had in the past...  two were dumped as kittens - one the only survivor of a bag of his siblings found in a stream - and two strays, as I said - we think Vlad originally belonged to the people who we bought the house from (from what the coal man said), but they had moved out months before we moved in - and tha vet reckoned mags had been dumped for not looking kitteny any more (he was about 8 mnths old when he first arrived).

And each and every one of them has been gorgeous.

Sometimes I really don't like people.

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 20:15:57 PM »
Looks like they have already made her homeless, by not letting her in, feeding her etc. If they are not doing this, they obviously dont want her! I have napped a few cats in my time and nobody has been any the wiser  :evillaugh: And I didn't feel bad either as the cats needed vet treatment.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 19:04:29 PM »
I would take her even if you dont keep her, but i wouldnt mention it the neighbour at all, why get there ears tingling! People dont often want an animal but can be funny about it as its their "possession" so dont take the risk.

Dont feel guilty about it, you will save a life of misery for her and many more as she will soon be pregnant  :( and think where her babies would end up.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 15:38:48 PM »
I agree with others take her in and worry about it later, She needs love, warmth , food and if posters go up you can decide what to do at that time, same if they get another cat.

Right now the priority is to save this one  :hug:

My first cat Kocka was dumped I think because she was ill and moved in and while I was in London was able to get two other cats into places safe, one was outside and scrounging for many months and think  a neighbour left him behind and the other was a beautiful stray who next door had been feeding in their porch and then went away on holiday...........the cat walked into my house when I opened the door and when outside used to go and sit in the middle of the road and then hide in neighbours porch waiting for food that wasnt coming.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 14:06:36 PM »
I also agree with the others, I think the thought of what you (or rather your friend!) is about to do is making you hesitate a bit (and I'd be the same) but once she is safe and sound with you I reckon those feelings will melt away.  ;)

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 14:00:27 PM »
Yeah, I suppose it's the 'is it worse to take somebody else's cat, however treated, or is it worse to leave her like that' question that's bothering me.

As I said, my first instinct was that she needed to be got out of there immediately, regardless of who owned her - that her owner had forfeited the right to keep her.

But it's not a thing I feel completely happy and guilt-free doing.  Wish I was more like hub - for him it's black and white, and there's no question    :innocent:

Apparently friend had been onto RSPCA, but they were no help.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 11:03:32 AM »
I agree with the others .... take her in.  Like  Bryony says IF they are really bothered about her there will be posters / flyers or even a bit of door knocking within a day or two.  If there is no sign of activity looking for her then you can get her done and adopt her.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Bryony84

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Amber and Chilli
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 10:38:27 AM »
I would take her, if by chance 'missing cat' posters turn up looking for her, then maybe you could go and speak to the owners but if that is the way they treat her, I expect she was a present for a child or partner that seemed like a great idea at the time but they then got bored of and they probably won't notice she's gone!

She deserves a proper loving home after what she has been through and hopefully you can get to her before she gets pregnant!

http://furrytripod.wordpress.com/ : Casper's tripod blog and sponsorship page

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 10:35:25 AM »
i wouldn't think twice about taking her if it were me.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 10:33:28 AM »
I would take her - you will be saving her and all the kittens she is going to end up having if nothing is done

if she is replaced you will at least get to know about it, and can deal with that problem if it arises
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 07:27:55 AM »
I agree - the owners don't deserve her. Best to get her out before its too late. Its unlikely "people" like that will go out of their way to replace and will only get another one if someone is giving kittens away. Good luck  :hug:

If you are worried about catnapping, maybe speak to a local rescue for some support. Really it is the job of the RSPCA to prevent cruelty but we all know they are a waste of space.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sonnie

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 05:16:22 AM »
Without a second of thought hun, i would take her!
I know that to some "cat-napping" is seen as unexceptable, but to treat the poor thing as they do is a higher unexceptance!!!!!
She needs a good home,warmth,love and by the sounds of things, some good food.  (bless her heart)
So i'd say 100% take her in, if you can offer the above and more, and by the sounds of things you sure can, then dont hesitate.
If these "people" (i agree with your friend.. "barbaric") go and get another animal, then they need to be reported for neglect definately.  The chances are that they were all happy when they got this little miss, but the novelty soon wore off.  Fingers crossed they wont get another baby.

Our animals, regardless if its a cat, dog or even goldfish! dont ask to be taken on by us,
Sometimes we get animals on impulse, a sper-of the moment kind of thing, people like that dont desearve the love that our furbabies give us all, the laughter, and even the bad times and tears. 
Offer this little miss a home, she never asked to have a bad mummy and daddy like she has now   :(

Offline nessa (A C S )

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • Kai David 11/02/09
    • Animal Care Society (Cork)
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 03:35:52 AM »
I too would take the cat but would be very reluctent to rehome the cat in or near the same area just incase but either way the cat needs a place of safety NOW
annefitz@animalcaresociety.ie
http://www.animalcaresociety.ie/

My grandson Kai David McMahon Fitzgerald Butler was born on the 11/02/09 at 5.03pm weight 8lb 14ozs

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 03:03:54 AM »
Well i am afraid -i would take the cat -no hesitation .
If they do ever get another , they need to be reported for neglect, although i bet they wont even miss her.
I have to admit i have done this once before myself -the cat was in the most terrible condition and had miraculously got out ( i lived a good few streets away) i just happened to be passing when i saw it and spoke to the neighbours who were in the garden at the time .
We both agreed the cat needed taking there and then and i did !
Unfortunately i only had her about 9 months -i was constantly at the vet with her and she died not long after i moved here of fip.
At least she had love , warmth and food for that time and i still have her ashes .
 I have also "rehomed " 2 from where i live now that weren't being looked after , out in snow , cold and mateed and hungry - but they aren't now  ;)
One i would have kept myself , but couldnt as the people involved lived ion the next street !!
The other went to a firends mum where he lives very happily and hardly ever goes out now !
I have also taken 3 to good rescues and they were re-homed to great homes.

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 02:42:30 AM »
I would have a quick word with the owner, you aren't local so they won't know you (I guess?) and if talking doesn't work then the cat can always 'run away' later  :sneaky:

If you just knock on the door and ask 'is this your cat? as it looks a ill and needs the vet for treatment ' at the mention of bills being necessary you may suddenly find they don't own her   :shify:

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 02:22:53 AM »
oops - didn't realize it was so long - sorry!

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
In a quandary over a cat that needs help....
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 02:22:24 AM »
I'm in a real quandary....

Some friends have a neighbour who owns a cat (in name, anyway - see below   >:(   ).

The poor wee thing is apparently locked out all the time, (day and night, and has been for a good while, despite the recent weather), her 'owner' makes no attempt to take her in, and she spends most of her time being cold, wet, frightened and hungry.  She's six months (ish) old, unvacc'ed and unneutered.  Friend says she's tiny [possibly undernourished?], really friendly, and desperate for love and warmth.

Another friend (also an animal lover) who lives nearby describes the neighbour as "barbaric".

The friend (first one) has said that she's willing to take her away (she's feeding her at the moment - apparently the only one who is), if she can find a home, as long as it's somewhere not too nearby, so she doesn't wander back to them.

Now this would be where we come in...  do we take her in???

We don't live near them, so little chance of her going back there (and she'd be kept in for a good while at first anyway).  We have a biggish house, so keeping her separate from the others if she needs it, is not a problem at all.

I'm at home all the time (work from home), so if she can't be left alone too long, again, not a problem.  My usual maximum daily time out of the house is 15mins to go the post office (or pet shop   :evillaugh:  ).

We're both (especially me) fine with handling cats that have problems - Ed had a nervous weeing thing caused by past upset in his life, and went blind before he died, and two (Magnus and Vlad) of our cats have been strays that we've taken in, one (Vlad) semi-feral when we found him in the garden, but after several months of trust-building became a total lap cat. 

So being patient with her if she's scared, not a problem, she could take as long as she needed.  Spaying not a problem, as Mags was 'complete' when he arrived (I know it's diff for girls  ;)  ).  And we have very good vets if she has any other problems.

Edward died last month, (a month exactly actually), and our other boys are ok with it - they've stopped looking for him, haven't displayed any signs of upset for a while now, and they've adjusted as far as I can tell.   
Neither of our boys have any problems with other cats (both neutered males) - in fact they're much more likely to make friends than fight, by my experience of both of them. 

I'm not daft enough to think you can ever replace any cat, so that doesn't play a part.  We'd decided to get another cat later in the year anyway, so this would be a little ahead of schedule, but it was in the plans....  (I was always taught growing up that losing one means you can eventually rescue another, when you feel able to).

But.....  if this cat goes missing, they may just get another.  It probably won't solve the problem long term.  There'll likely just be another in the same position in six months or a year - although does that matter to this one?

I know that if anybody, however well meaning, took (for example) Mags away 'for his own good', I'd be well beyond furious.  Of course, Mags is well fed, cosseted and given proper care...  but do we have any right to interfere?
That said, if they are that disinterested in her, would they even be that bothered she'd gone, or am I projecting onto them because I know how I'd feel...?

Hub has left it up to the friends who are the "owners'" neighbours, because it would be them doing the 'cat-napping', and they're the ones who have to live there. 
It has to be their call really because of that - we'd be incredibly unlikely to ever see the 'owners'.  But he let them know we were available if need be, and they're going to get back to us.

My first instinct was 'get the poor thing out of there NOW'.
I suppose my worry gene has now kicked in (from a 'their end' point of view - not so much about what would happen here, because I'm sure it'd be fine).

AAARRRGGGHHH!  Why do these  :censored:   'people' get animals then treat them like this????!!!!    >:(     >:(

Link to CatChat