Author Topic: making an indoor an outdoor cat  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: making an indoor an outdoor cat
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 15:09:22 PM »
She would adapt to it if she wanted to, if not she would just stay in! My Milly had lived for 6 years in a flat and is quite nervy in new situations, however when the weathers nice she will hang out in the garden but only if the door is open.

Lucky you hoping to move rural! Im sure Tilda would soon be out hunting things.

Offline chimpzoo

• Adult Cat
    • last days
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 20:20:38 PM »
Tilda is just 5 months now and i've had her from 9 weeks. Perhaps this time next year i'd like to move out of the city to a very rural setting. I was hoping maybe the new property - including outdoors will all be new to her so perhaps she'll just naturally explore it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 20:31:02 PM by chimpzoo »

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 19:23:09 PM »
Hi Chimpzoo.

Blip, who's indoor / outdoor, came to us from a rescue seven years ago and had been indoors there for six months, and possibly all her life. We kept her in for about six weeks after her arrival, then started letting her out into the back garden under supervision.  We gradually let her wander a little bit more each day and after a few weeks, gave her free access during the day.

This worked for us, but I would think it depends how long your pud has been indoor-only. How old is s/he and what is his / her background?

What's pud's name, by the way?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline chimpzoo

• Adult Cat
    • last days
making an indoor an outdoor cat
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 19:07:40 PM »
Is it easy / possible to make the change from an indoor cat to an outdoor cat?  There's the chance i might move to the middle of nowhere in the future and have been wondering about this. 

Link to CatChat