Author Topic: Poorly Tachi  (Read 5179 times)

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
Re: Poorly Tachi
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2009, 22:09:05 PM »
In all honesty, he seems ok. He's feeling a bit sorry for himself, but other than that you wouldn't have think he'd had anything done.

Obviously, if he looked in pain I'd take him back to the V.E.T straight away.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2009, 12:05:24 PM »
Blip was in discomfort for about a week too, much relieved by Metacam, I'm sure - if you suspect Tachi is, I'd ask the vet for some Metacam for him pdq  :hug:
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2009, 00:17:49 AM »
That's good  :) - Clapton had to go back on the 2nd or 3rd day for a 2nd jab as well as the pain can for 5 days give or take.
Hopefully there aren't too many but I'm sure there are still a few old school vets who don't bother too much with pain control. It's sad that it is only a recent thing.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 00:19:21 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2009, 23:39:10 PM »
He did have a Metacam jab! I look on the V.E.T bill after being on here before.  :-[

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2009, 14:30:43 PM »
Hope he is feeling better - I'm surprised he wasn't given Metacam - maybe the vet gave him a Metacam jab?

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know. Craig took him to the V.E.T. as I was in work.

He's a lot better today. We've taken the cone off as he seems to be behaving with the stitches. He's got a check up on Tuesday to see how it's heaing.

He's eating really well, I'm really surprised. I haven't tried him with dry food yet, as it's a bit soon though.

I think they may have given him the jab, when mine have had an op they usually say no painkillers/abs til the next day as they have had them.  Pleased he is doing well  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2009, 14:21:15 PM »
Hope he is feeling better - I'm surprised he wasn't given Metacam - maybe the vet gave him a Metacam jab?

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know. Craig took him to the V.E.T. as I was in work.

He's a lot better today. We've taken the cone off as he seems to be behaving with the stitches. He's got a check up on Tuesday to see how it's heaing.

He's eating really well, I'm really surprised. I haven't tried him with dry food yet, as it's a bit soon though.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2009, 07:36:33 AM »
Glad to hear Tachi seems to be feeling better, hope he continues to improve  :hug:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2009, 07:27:08 AM »
How is Tachi this morning?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2009, 21:42:11 PM »
Fingers crossed, but I wouldn't worry too much about him eating dry, sometimes with sore mouths it is what they prefer, as they can swallow without chewing.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2009, 21:40:53 PM »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2009, 21:15:21 PM »
have you got any painkiller for him?

He's got Antirobe capsules, which thankfully he doesn't notice mixed in with his food, but no painkillers.

He's been great this evening. Running all over the place and acting like his normal self. We've let him take the cone off under strict supervision.   ;D

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2009, 18:18:49 PM »
Sending lots of get well soon vibes for Tachi xxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 17:51:32 PM »
Poor baby, please give him a gentle :care: from me and the boys  :hug:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2009, 17:09:14 PM »
Awwww get well soon sweetie
 :get well:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2009, 16:58:33 PM »
Glad that Tachi is home safe and sound and hopefully will much better now.  I would imagine the smell will soon wear off and things will be back to normal  :hug:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2009, 15:44:41 PM »
I should think Tachi smells funny and looks funny to Vader at the moment.  I hope he recovers quickly - have you got any painkiller for him?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 15:19:24 PM »
Hope Tachi recovers quickly  :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 14:57:26 PM »
poor tachi!  yes he will smell funny for a day or two

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 14:54:24 PM »
Well Tachi is out of the V.E.T.'s and is feeling very sorry for himself. He had 6 teeth out and the lump removed. So he's on wet food only at the mo.

We had to put a cone on him as he was trying to scratch his stiches. He's really not happy with us. It gets in the way of him climbing the stairs.

Vader is being a bit odd with him. He's hissed at him a few times since he's been back. I never heard ither of them hiss before. Maybe it's because he smells funny or something.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 10:06:15 AM »
how is Tachi? I hope ok  :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 21:43:57 PM »
Hope Tachi is feeling a bit better now :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2009, 21:22:52 PM »
Hope Tachi is Ok  :hug:

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 19:26:49 PM »
Only just spotted this, hope all goes well for the gorgeous little man. :hug:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 19:19:06 PM »
How did it go?  Hope he's home munching on some juicy chicken breast  :hug:

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 21:28:57 PM »
Thanks guys.  :Luv:

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 08:14:58 AM »
Best of luck for Thursday I'm sure he will be fine  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 06:50:12 AM »
You will probably be better in work instead of sat at home worrying.  I am sure Tachi will be fine and soon back home and enjoying a pain free mouth.  Best of luck tomorrow"

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 23:30:43 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. I'll make sure that the teeth are wipped out too. Poor thing. I'm going to be on pins all day on Wednesday until I get home and see him. I can't get the day off wok as we are short staffed and I'm supposed to be teaching (not that anyone will turn up).

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 10:35:22 AM »
Good luck with next week, I would get his teeth sorted, it is amazing how much happier they are without them, and they can still eat all sorts, I have had completely toothless cats who could still eat raw meat - and I Shall see what Sam thinks of it today, he had all his teeth out the other week.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 20:15:27 PM »
Simon had the same issue as a young cat, and also had granulomas that caused alot of pain, as they got bigger his teeth made them ulcerated  :(
He was about 18months old when he had one side of his cheek teeth out (his problem strayed to one side for some reason) and he hasnt had problems there since. The other side had one flare up which was sorted with antirobe and touch wood its going ok but i expect at some point he will have the same done on his remaining toothy side.
It seems drastic for a young cat to have teeth out but if it lets them enjoy life better then its worth it imo, certainly better than repeated ABs for few years before doing anything about it.

Steroids are the worse course of action, this link is pretty good
http://www.dr-addie.com/stomatitis.html

In regards to food, simon has no problem eating whatever he wishes including raw chicken wings and frogs  :sick:

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 16:14:45 PM »
Yes, i agree with having the teeth out.
All mine have had at least one out -except Sartie .
They are all over 9 years old .
Winston has slight Gingivitos (spelling!?) so have to keep an eye on his .

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 15:46:44 PM »
If it were Blip - or me for that matter - I'd want the teeth out and the problem resolved once and for all.  I'd go along with my vet's recommendation  :hug:

Blip had three teeth out a few years ago, including a top canine, and although she was in discomfort for about a week afterwards, we managed that with Metacam.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 15:27:48 PM »
Sorry to hear about Tachi I would really have the dental done.  My Dragan suffered a year of mouth pain because my previous vet wouldn't operate due to his age.  He just kept giving him meds.  Long term steroids aren't good for anyone and nor are constant abs.  My new vet took the tooth out and hey presto a happier little cat.  I would def go for it whilst he is having an anaesthetic

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 13:01:30 PM »
I think if they are prone to gum problems, having the teeth out is the best option. Clapton went through about 5 dentals over 3 years. At the very last one, the vet wanted to take 2 bad ones out leaving 2 more. I said as long as he knew what he was doing and I would not be happy if I was back in 6 months with a poorly Clapton again. He took a hint and removed them all. I know they say that if the teeth are bad, it is a lot easier to extract them. Anyway, although it took a week or so for him to get better (with Metcacam for the pain) it is the best thing that could have happened to him. No more toothache for Clapton  :Luv2:

Anyway, the point is, if they use steroids to clear it up now, there is a chance it will come back. Its not just about the pain but poison from bad teeth also causes internal problems. I am convinced it is what gave Clapton CRF.

:ahh: for Tachi

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 12:51:15 PM »
Hope all goes well on Wed  :hug:

I think if the vet is one you trust then I would go with what she says but ask her to take out the minimum possible.

Yes he will be able to nosh his dry food still.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 12:38:36 PM »
Hope everything goes well on Wednesday for him  :hug:  I'm not sure what I'd do in your shoes, the fact that he's so young would put me off having them out but then on the other hand if it's likely to cause him a problem why not do it now while he's already having an anaesthetic - sorry not very helpful I know!

Tiggy had very few teeth when she was older and she still managed dry food OK, she ate mainly wet but still munched on the dry and managed to force down her favourite kitbits.

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 12:23:22 PM »
Yeah. She said that she'd do it as it could become worse or reoccuring problem. They'd only be taking his back teeth out at the mo.

This sounds daft, but will se still be able to eat dry food? He loves the Fish4cats one you see and I'd feel awful if he couldn't have it any more.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 12:24:23 PM by NotSoKittyNewbie »

Offline Janeyk

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 10:03:05 AM »
Hi NSKN,

Glad that Tachi's eyes are alot better but sorry to hear about his other problems.  Hope all goes well with the op. 
Regarding the teeth, my Schui suffered really badly with gingivitis and plaque and I had to scrape his teeth daily with some stuff on a cotton bud, he also was on steroids but his was an autoimmune thing and very severe.  Eventually we decided to remove the lot and he has been fine since, he is an old boy though.  If I were you and could talk to my vet I would ask what she would do if it were her cat - I always do that if I am in doubt, if she has suggested it I would probably be tempted to go for it though.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 10:04:03 AM by janeyk »

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
Poorly Tachi
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 09:56:28 AM »
Tachi has been to the V.E.T. today as he's had a bit of conjunctivitis and we wanted to make sure that it had cleared up following the course of drope they gave us last time. It has!

At the same time we mentioned the lumpy wart thinginy that has appeared on his head as he keeps catching it. They have gone from saying 'it's fine leave it' to 'right that looks nasty, lets lop it off'. So he's going in on thursday to have have it off under general anestetic. (That sounds rude for some reason)

The vet has also given us the option of having some of his teeth out at the back as he has some gingivitus. I'm not sure whether to go for it or not, as I've read something about being able to clear it up with sterodis. Does anyone have any advice?? I have to let them know either way on Wednesday.

Link to CatChat