Author Topic: Cats have to shut out our bedroom very soon! Tips?  (Read 3162 times)

Offline Sonnie

• Senior Cat
Re: Cats have to shut out our bedroom very soon! Tips?
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 06:06:40 AM »
Hi Mrs R,
Congrats on the pregnancy, I was reading up on your posts the otherday but didnt get to write a "Congrats", due to work being a bit hectic!!!  :Luv2:

I havent got any kids yet, but I do have 3 fur-babies!!!
We used to allow them in the bedroom untill Coco started weeing and pooing on the duvet, We went through 3 duvets in one night, and several trips to the 24 hour Tesco to buy new ones!  So..... the rule is.... No cats in the bedroom!  :scared:
I hated it at first because they would cry outside the bedroom door, and I found myself getting up to see if their ok, or talking to them through the door..... which really did me no favours!
So in the end, i used to put my bath robe, on the floor outside the bedroom, this had my smell on it and used to comfort them.  Or a bath towel you have used, a jumper... anything that you have worn that day.  The loved it, and it stopped them from crying or trying to jump through the door!!!  :-:
They all get on fine without the comfort clothes on the floor now, but from time to time, Co-co does cry outside the door, and all i do i give him a little reassuring hug that I'm still there, and lay something of mine over the floor, just outside the door. 
And sure enough by the morning, none of the cats are even on my clothing! They are all in their beds!!!  :shocked:
This worked for me, and I'm sure that your fur-babies, will be fine with a little change for a little time.  Soon enough as you have said the twins will be strong enough to moe the cats off of them if needed!
Take care Hun  and Congrats again.

Sonnie x

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2009, 10:40:28 AM »
Well said Calendonia ... I don't have kids so I don't mind my cats waking me up at silly times ... but if I had kids and cats waking me up at regular intervals then I'm sorry to say the ones that can actually look after themselves for a few hours would have to sleep downstairs. 

I'm in full agreement Sam. I love my cats huge amounts, but they are much more self sufficient than a newborn baby! MrsR, if you have carpets can I suggest you buy some carpet protector for under your door? (Cats can do serious digging if they want to get into a room with a closed door.) Just make sure they have everything they need outside your room and that's all you can do really. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2009, 10:30:02 AM »
Once we have the sofa bed up the stairs we are making the spare bedroom kitty heaven.

Still haven't had the heart to shut them out yet!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2009, 10:26:10 AM »
Guys please do not make me feel any more guilty than I already do about this. 

Please don't feel guilty, you have to do what is right for you. Although as you know there are far too many old wives tails re cats and babies. if you air on the side of caution it is better than later needing to say I could have, would have , should have. When my daughter was pregnant she stopped the cats from going into her bedroom from when she was about 3 months, bit too late to tell you that now though ;D. The cats settled down fine and were quite happy not to have the main bedroom as part of their 'haven'
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2009, 22:51:14 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks the puds will thank you soon enough MrsR when the crying starts  :)

I too go with the shutting in a downstairs room overnight but you may find they dig at the carpet during the daytime but it's only carpet ... :hug:

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2009, 15:44:15 PM »
I totally agree with you MrsR and ultimately you have to do what you feel best doing. The cats will adapt easy enough- you may have a little time of them getting used to it but they will be fine. Our cats don't sleep in the bedroom with us now as they wake us up and both of us have to be alert and well slept for the jobs we do. They don't mind at all... we just had to get them into the routine :) Don't feel bad about it, you have to do what's best for the family as a whole which includes the furries and the babies. Obviously once the babies are a bit bigger things will change but they are very defenceless for the first few months so really do think you're right on this one.  :hug:

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2009, 15:04:13 PM »
Will be putting the twins in with us for the first 4 or so month - its te safest place for them - sorry comes from working in A&E

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2009, 14:40:21 PM »
I'd go for shutting them in a different room or downstairs if you can shut your upstairs and downstairs off so they can't sit outside your bedroom door and howl and scratch all night as it will drive you bananas lol.

Otherwise could you not just put the babies in their own room so the cats can carry on sleeping with you???
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2009, 00:13:19 AM »
Mosi had the dubious privilege of being mentioned in a return to work interview at my last workplace.  I was off sick and when I got back and had to do a return to work interview I, rather foolishly and thinking we were just chatting at that point, said I was very tired because Mosi was keeping me awake at night.  Boss actually wrote down that I'd got a new kitten who was keeping me awake at night  :shify: ;D

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2009, 00:09:48 AM »
Well said Calendonia ... I don't have kids so I don't mind my cats waking me up at silly times ... but if I had kids and cats waking me up at regular intervals then I'm sorry to say the ones that can actually look after themselves for a few hours would have to sleep downstairs. 
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2009, 23:57:34 PM »
Sorry you feel folk are trying to make you feel guilty.....I don't feel guilty for locking my mob out because frankly sleep depriavtion should only come with new born babies (as you will soon discover) and have at least a small chance of a day time nap!! I was so tired at work from getting woken all night that they have been out of my room for nearly a year ..... no problems.

Go for it - its your decision and there is enough of them to keep each other happy. When I only had Bertie he was allowed in the room but now I have three - well I like my sleep and get a lot more with them not there! Doesnt mean you love them any less but at the end of the day you have two new born babies to also think about and will need to make things as easy as you can for yourself as you can and if that means shutting the cats out the room so you dont worry about them going on the cot (cat net or not) then so be it.....doesnt mean you love your cats any less!  :Luv:
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Zenith (Liz)

• Hero Cat
  • Liz, Mia and Nova
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 22:28:58 PM »
I wouldn't think of it at guilt MrsR, more practicallity  :) My two used to be shut out at night and they taught themselves to open two doors to break into my room!  :Luv2: Kinda cute when they snuggle but not when Nova decides I need a wash and groom at various times in the night!  He goes for my arms and armpits which are incredibly ticklish  :evillaugh:

You are right though to think about shutting them out sooner, hopefully it'll give them time to become used to it :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 22:29:27 PM by Zenith »

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 17:35:15 PM »
Guys please do not make me feel any more guilty than I already do about this.    I know some of you think I am wrong for shutting them out for when the babies come home at first but this is something I have to do - it doesn't make me love my cats any less.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 16:56:01 PM »
I had to chut the cats out of my room because Edgar just doesn't leave us alone to sleep and tends to knead constantly and it just got too much...so we shut them out.

The first night was tough and still sometimes they scratch at the door if we are having a long lie and they are wondering where there food is but to be honest they adjusted very quickly and happily curl up on the couch together. Often when I get up they are groggy from sleep when I find them in the kitchen so they adjusted fine - you might be pleasantly surprised!  :shocked:
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 15:41:06 PM »
It's great that you are thinking of getting the kitties used to being shut out prior to the twins arrival ... I do understand your concerns for the first couple of months while the little ones are still tiny.  I'm sure your furries will be fine if they are shut downstairs (they might not be happy but they will be OK  ;))  I would confine them to one room ... make it nice and cosy for them ... beds, comfy blanket, litter trays and food etc and I'm sure they will just curl up and "sulk"  :evillaugh:

I have found that as long as Zephyr gets his cuddle time inthe morning he doesn't mind being shut downstairs ... I let him upstairs when I get up in the morning then hop back into bed for 10 mins so he can have a cuddle and snuggle session.

I agree that they need to be shut downstairs though away from the bedroom door otherwise they will dig and scratch on your door all night.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 19:08:53 PM »
I think a cover would be easier for the cats and probably you  :evillaugh: its very easy for them to learn to sleep on a bed but not so easy to break that habit

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 19:06:48 PM »
Once they are a little bigger and in the cots I don't mind as the door will be left free for cats to roam in and out the nursery and jump in the cots with the babies as the babies will be moving around enough to move the cats off them if the need to its just when they are newborns (and most probably premature newboard with twins) in the smaller cribs that I am concerned about.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 19:04:00 PM »
I am just worried about them curling up in the cribs with the twins thats all and the twins will be swaddled so have an awful possible picture in my head.   Plus Elvis and Misha love curling up on peoples chests!

You can get cot covers if that's all you;re worried about.

http://www.snugnights.co.uk/cot-protection-net.html

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 18:32:22 PM »
The very best advice I can give you is when you do take the step of shutting them out , buy some earplugs! ;) :evillaugh:

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 18:23:27 PM »
i didnt have any cats when i had my first son so it wasnt an issue.  i had 3 cats by the time i had my second and it never ever crossed my mind to shut the cats out.  i had a cat net over the crib and never had any problems.  the one thing i did worry about was the cats wanting to play with flailing baby hands so swaddling was a must.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 18:20:37 PM »
no experience in this except when birmans were new and had them imprisoned in the front room.

franta was the boss of the pair and decided to scratch up the carpet on the otherside of the door and then i couldnt get in. both birmans howled non-stop and when ther were first let out they rushed straight upstairs and took over my bed.....reckon if they could have slammed the door in my face they would have  :rofl:

ducha now lives in the bedroom and rarely comes out which is very sad.

all i can say is what ever you are going to do, start now!

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 18:18:26 PM »
if you have crib covers, I am not sure why you feel it is necessary. But then I have never had a baby. But cats and babies mix OK - once they get over the curiosity of the situation they are unlikely to be a problem. Shut them out and when they do get in (which they will) they will be far more curious about the whole thing ...

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 18:17:15 PM »
I am just worried about them curling up in the cribs with the twins thats all and the twins will be swaddled so have an awful possible picture in my head.   Plus Elvis and Misha love curling up on peoples chests!

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 18:15:13 PM »
Hum I dont really know as when I had my son I did used to shut the cats out, but in the end the cats won. When I had my daughter I just let them in, so they didnt feel left out. Everything has been fine, they didnt try to kill her lol

All I could suggest is keeping them in a downstairs room as the constant scratching at the bedroom door will grate on you!
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
Cats have to shut out our bedroom very soon! Tips?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 17:45:11 PM »
Well as I am pregnant with twins and the twins will be in cribs in our room for the first 4 or so months we have to shut the cats out our bedroom with us.

Now I have put it off and off but I have to do it before the twins are born as I don't want the cats associating the babies with being shut out!

It will break my heart as they all sleep on our bed with us and have done since day dot!

Anyone had to do this or any tips on making it easier on the cats?

Link to CatChat